“Go some place else!”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I'm not sure why so many people in Corona LOVE this restaurant. Miguel's California Mexican Cocina & Cantina has poor quality food and bad service.

I know the restaurant has been around forever and it s Corona"Landmark". I get it the family gives back to the community, but that is no excuse for poor quality over priced food.

The over all quality of the food is terrible- bland and super oily.

Tortilla soup is one good way to check a restaurant quality and Miguel's is the worst! - very bland

The "salsa" is water with child powder in it. I was told is was Authentic Tex-Mex. Well my husband being a first generation American with a family who grew up in South West Texas and my self a second generation who has lived in Texas ... I can say they are full of it! it is want it is watered down chili powder. ( which is also the base of the tortilla soup)

I guess for me and my family the bottom line is:
Overpriced -Prices are higher than your average mexican restaurant.Go to Miguel's Jr. same food 1/2 the price

Average food- Need a menu update
Terrible service.-Rude servers, talk down to us when asked about menu items. Server was shocked when I answered her in Spanish ( I look like a white girl)

Reviewed November 15, 2012

I have never been very impressed with their food, since is is much like the Tex-Mex that has been around for ages. Nothing updated when I went there.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Awesome food! The food was delicious and service excellent! We stayed next door at the Ayres Suites and walked over to the restaurant for dinner. Many menu selections to choose from! I had the carnitas and it was very good!

Reviewed September 25, 2012

Well the food was excellent the cod fish dinner with some delicious sauce. The waiter was very nice guy and helpful with the menu. The place was very clean.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

My family and I live somewhat in the vicinity of the restaurant and manage to visit Miguels Restaurant (as opposed to Miguels Jr) at least 2 to 3 times a year. We eat at Miguels Jr. (fast food take out) quite a bit more. In the past, we have always had decent service at the restaurant. The food is okay, not authentic Mexican food though (akin to El Torito). After the last visit, I must say that I don't think my family and I will return. When we arrived to the restaurant, noticed that the parking lot was a bit empty for a weekend evening (around 7 pm), a bit odd, as the parking lot was always packed when we visited in the past. Because the parking lot was so empty, I knew we could most likely get in and out of the restaurant. Once inside the restaurant, we were kindly greeted by one of the hosts who then proceeded to take us to the bar (cantina) of the restaurant where there was absolutely no other patrons seated. Since the restaurant was no where close to seating capacity and there were plenty (excess) empty tables in the main area of the restaurant, couldn't decipher why this host saw fit to place my family and I away from the world it seemed. Since I had a young child with me, I would never think it would be appropriate to seat a family with young children in the bar area. Makes no sense, particularly under these circumstances. I immediately expressed my discontent at the seating arrangement and thereafter was seated in the main area of the restaurant. Have to say that I was somewhat taken aback but didn't want to jump to conclusions so I asked the host why she attempted to seat my family in the bar area. She replied that "it (bar) was up on rotation" and expressed that she was glad I had spoken out against it. What? Before her explanation, I was more inclined to believe that we were placed in an area where we could not be seen by other patrons because of our race/ethnicity. I am not certain that that was not the case but I accepted the host explanation nonetheless. I would have left without ordering if it were just me and my husband but I had a young child (autistic) with a mindset to eat right away so I had to pick my battle. The service after that was fast. Our waitress was nice and I believe the manager came to our table at least once while we were eating. However, the damage had been done by that time.

1  Thank L H

Been to Miguel's? Share your experiences!