“Great for I-5 vacationers”

Best Western Plus Corning Inn
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Corning
Reviewed June 15, 2013

What I like about this hotel, where I have stayed more than once, is that it is always clean, staff very friendly, there are discount coupons for near by restaurant, and the pool and whirlpool stay open later than in most places. It is right off the freeway, services are all around it, and you can taste olives to your hearts content just a few steps away!
AAGlenn

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank AAGlenn
yolanda a, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Corning Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

I would love to Thank You for being one of returning guests! I am delighted to see we have been a great choice for you every time and we hope to continue being your choice for many years. Nice to see you took advantage of our discounts ;) Thank you for writting such a great review and we will see you soon.

There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Corning Inn

Reviewed June 14, 2013

Flew into LAX and rented a car to drive to family in Oregon, stopped here for the night.
Very Clean, pleasant staff, breakfast good, nice pool with hot tub. What could be better than a hot tub after a long drive.

Room Tip: Were located on second floor very quite.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
yolanda a, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Corning Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2013

We are so glad you and your family were able to have a relaxing stay. We at Best Western Plus Corning Inn always make sure our guests get to have their best night stay :) Nice to see you enjoyed our Hot Breakfast, the Hospitality of our staff ,Hot Tub and our Clean Rooms. We will see you soon!

Reviewed June 12, 2013

For those traveling the I-5 corridor , I would like to point out a very nice hotel in Corning, California (South of Redding). Not only did we find the hotel, clean quiet and well staffed but it is conveniently located for both North and South traffic, it is near good restaurants and close to service stations.

Thank Rodger Danielso... D

Thank You for choosing to stay with us during your recent visit :) We are glad you enjoyed the amenities our hotel offers, as well as the nearby service stations. We Thank You for your business and we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Three things to start out with - one sorry this is going to be long - two - I've stayed here before and written a positive review which if I could take back I would - three - I can't stand leaving negative reviews so this brings me no pleasure.

Like I just said I have stayed at this property SEVERAL times and my last review was pretty good. I meant everything I said about the property which is still just what I expect from a three star property comfortable and clean but nothing fancy. The problem at this juncture is the hotel policies which are horrendous and the manager who upholds them like Atilla the Hun.

We stayed here over Thanksgiving weekend 2012 and seriously got into it with the manager of the property Yolanda. Despite the fact that we had stayed at this property before she insisted that we pay for our entire stay when we checked in. Apparently a new policy. We were booked for four nights Wed. through Sun. My husband was getting paid on Friday so I was not planning on paying for the entire stay on Wed. when we checked in. I explained to her that we were getting paid on Friday and we could pay then. I also let her know that we had stayed several times before and we had NEVER been asked to pay up front and it isn't like there were ever any issues with us paying our bill in the past. Not to mention that it was Thanksgiving weekend so most places were booked or places that I would stay in. Also my family stays there often (not anymore) because my Grandma lives in town and my large family all come together for major holidays. In fact that weekend there were two other families taking three rooms because I suggested we all stay there. All of this and she still basically insisted we pay for the entire stay upfront. Needless to say I was livid. After an exhausting conversation we came to an agreement. At this point I don't recall what we agreed on what I do recall is that I was still VERY angry. She did insist that I pay basically all the money I had available at that moment. Of course I did have additional money but that wasn't the point. I said we nor the rest of my family would ever be back so good job on loosing a chunck of business.

After what happened over Thanksgiving I reluctantly decided to give them another chance. Like I said earlier I don't easily condemn a business. My daughter and I stayed there over the weekend in fact we just got home.

I had the money for our two night stay when I checked in despite that I really wanted to see what would happen if I didn't. We stayed in the same suite I usually book overlooking the pool. Things went OK when I checked in. The phone in my room did not work but Yolanda (yes the same manager) let me know that when we checked in and I told her that it was fine. Everything was going fine until I got back Saturday afternoon. I had the "housekeeping" sign hanging on the door when my daughter and I left Satuday morning. When we got back Saturday afternoon I walked in and the bed was not made. I thought they did not get to my room so I found one of the housekeepers and let her know that my room was not cleaned and she said she would find out what happened. In fact the room had been cleaned long story short is they DO NOT touch the bed if you leave ANYTHING on it. Just to be clear my daughter left TWO blankets on the bed. Yes you are reading this correctly there were TWO baby blankets left on the bed and because of this they did not make the bed. They did send a housekeeper up and she did make the bed and was perfectly nice. Her english was not the best but she did let me know that she did not make the bed ealier because of the two blankets. One of my favorite things about hotels is that someone comes in and cleans up after me. I know it is silly but it truly makes me happy. The room not being done when I got back was slightly annoying but finding out the reason it wasn't done is because of two baby blankets was beyond annoying. The way the manager dealt with the situation was infuriating

Again like over Thanksgiving all the manager Yolanda had to say was that "it is our policy." She is HORRIBLE about handling problems. Her attitude is even worse then horrible policies themselves. Just to put things into perspective I am not a big rules/policies person. Yes I realize they are necessary but I also think it is imperative to acknowledge that they should not always be followed and that there are exceptions. Most important if the rules are idiotic it goes a long way for an employee to acknowledge that. Basically it would have made me MUCH happier if she had simply apologized and said she knows the policies don't make much sense. Even better had she simply told me please make sure there is nothing on the bed so housekeeping can make it when I checked in. No instead she makes it seem like the policies are common practice in the hotel industry and you are an idiot for not knowing that and questioning it.

Mistakes happen and as long as they are handled properly I am very understanding. If you look at my other reviews I am sure you will see this. That being said I have a HUGE problem with idiotic policies and an even bigger problem with people who uphold the policies without acknowledging the fact that they are idiotic. The manager at this place goes one further she not only upholds he policies but on top of that makes it seem like you are being absurd for questioning them.

I do not know what other absud polocies this property has but I will not be there to find out. This is officially the first place on Trip Advisor I highly recommend you not stay at.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
yolanda a, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Corning Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

First and most important, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. I would like to take a moment to explain a few of your concerns. Please know, we do not charge you at the time of check in unless the guest agrees to. However, every guest is require to guarantee the room charges and may wish to change their method of payment at check out. Whenever Front Desk is having problems during a check in, I as a Front Desk Manager have to ensure the guest understands our process. I am sorry you disagree with our hotel policies, but please remember every hotel is different.
As for your second stay, I am glad your beautiful daughter got to enjoy our indoor pool and it was very nice to see she made new friends. I apologize once again for the frustrating moment you experience with your bed not being made. Please understand, if there are any belongings on your bed, housekeeping is not allowed to touch them. It may seem absurd to you, but our guests appreciate and feel safe knowing no one will touch their belongings.
If you feel the need to talk to me again please call me at 530-824-5200.
I look forward to see you at the end of the month as planned :)
We value your business and we Thank You for expressing your concern.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

Beautiful place to stay... the check-in and check-out people were great, we had lovely rooms (two couples) and the breakfast was excellent. One little note: If you are using a Garmin GPS to get there, beware the instructions... ours took us to a billboard for the hotel, 8 miles south of the actual building. If you put in the actual address you will likely be okay. The price, under $100 including tax, was terrific value. It is very handy just off I-5.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

I would like to Thank You for taking the time to write a review for us. We strive to provide excellent customer service and it is great to see our guests notice it :) We love to make our rooms affordable for every family and it is nice to see it worked for you as well. We hope to see you next time.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

This is really a nice place. We picked a room with two king beds and it was huge! The receptionist said it is really their best room. It also had a sofa, coffee table, end tables, a desk and nice big bathroom. The bathroom could use more counter space, but I think it is designed for disabled people or wheelchairs. The staff is excellent. The pool and hot tub are great. It's really a nice spot to relax off of I-5. The breakfast is free and is quite decent. Will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: There really isn't a bad room in the place
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
yolanda a, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Corning Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Thank you so much for leaving such a great comment about our hotel. It is nice to see you got to enjoy one of our biggest rooms at our hotel :) I am glad we were a great fit for your needs! It We hope to see you soon and don't forget to gives us a call at 530-824-5200 for any questions.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We spent one night 5/23/13 on our way home from Disneyland. Our late check in with Nancy was pleasant. She suggested a soak in the hottub after our long roadtrip, & even kept the pool open a little late just for us. Our room was clean & comfortable & relaxing. Yolanda gave us a late check out time. We felt like continuing on our travels after a really tasty breakfast. It's so fun to visit with happy staff. Excellent place to stay right on I5 with a nice Starbucks right there.

Room Tip: Double King Suite is humungous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tell Starbucks your staying at Best Western & g...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

I sincerely appreciate you writting a review for us, complimenting our rooms and our staff. It was a great pleasure to meet you and your beautiful family. I am glad to see you got to relax on our hot tub! We hope to see you and your family next time :)

Also consider these accommodations in or near Corning
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Corning
Comfort Inn
#4 of 16 in Red Bluff
Holiday Inn Express Red Bluff - South Redding Area
Hampton Inn & Suites Red Bluff

Been to Best Western Plus Corning Inn? Share your experiences!