“Perfect stay”

Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Corning
College Station, Texas
“Perfect stay”
Reviewed July 12, 2014

We decided on Holiday Inn Express as a night stopover while on our way to Lassen Volcanic National Park from SFO, due to its convenient location of about 2.5 hours from the airport and about 1.5 hours from the park. The staff were quick and friendly during our middle of the night check in. The two queen bed room was in perfect shape and very very clean. Plenty of towels for the four of us and the complimentary toiletries were of very fine quality as well. Contrary to the complaints I had seen in the recent reviews about the rooms having very poor sound proofing, we were able to have an exceptionally quiet time with no noises whatsoever. Also there did not seem to be any renovation going on which could mean that the work was done already. The complimentary wi-fi internet was fast enough for our basic needs.
The LCD television came in as a bonus in the morning as were late to start and hence could catch a little of the Football World Cup Quarter Final match before leaving. Finally, the breakfast was splendid and sumptuous. It had everything that one could ask for and could be enjoyed in a well-lit cheerful dining room with a big television. The gym and outdoor pool seemed to be in good shape as well though we did not have time to use any of them. It was one of the most enjoyable and pleasant stays at any hotel for me in a long long time.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Reviewed July 4, 2014

We found the hotel as a get away from our busy schedule. The staff was friendly and helpful at check in. They did everything they could to make us comfortable and happy with our room choice. We took our coffee with every kind of creamer I have ever seen in a hotel to the room. The room was perfect. Comfy beds, granite, spacious, and nicely decorated with frig, microwave etc. Breakfast was excellent with eggs, sausage, fruit, cereal, bagels, yogurt, upscale oatmeal, etc. We liked the clean pool, and the fountain out front. The staff was very involved and friendly during breakfast and attentive to all of our needs.

Room Tip: smile and ask for a upgrade
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Holiday Inn Exp... C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Corning, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Dear Naplestravelers,
Thank you so much for your wonderful comments regarding your recent stay with us! My staff and I are overjoyed to know how happy you were with your stay! We were also very glad to know how much you enjoyed our full hot breakfast!
Once again we appreciate your kind words and can't wait to see you again soon :)
Safe Travels,
Irvine, California
Reviewed June 14, 2014

Because there are many worse hotels out there, and we got this night so inexpensively, I'm giving it a kind rating, but compared to other hotels from this chain (Holiday Inn Express) this is about the least good experience we have ever had. We were planning on staying in Redding or Red Bluff and saw this hotel for much less. Then we found we could get one of our reward nights for only 5000 points, only half what the least expensive hotels charge. However, nothing was said about remodeling.
The staff was very pleasant, and I think we got an upgrade because our room had a refrigerator and microwave, which was pleasant. However, the bed was not up to their standard -- a bit too soft, and the pillows and sheets were substandard for HIE. The shower head was not the normal one, either. The bathroom had some of the tile removed, and the bathtub did not have the usual vertical grab bar, which we depend on. Some of the baseboard in the main room had the carpet removed, and staples were exposed. Although it was obvious they were laying new carpet in many areas, and replacing tile and the counter in the reception area, it wasn't obvious that our room was actually being remodeled. It just seemed as if someone had forgotten to quite finish the construction! We thought that the franchise owner must have chosen the least expensive grade of each amenity. On top of that, someone in the room above, probably a child, was literally running across the floor until almost midnight, back and forth! Evidently sound proofing was virtually non-existent.

Another sour note was the signage. I'm an ADA consultant, specializing in the visually and hearing impaired. The braille signs were on the doors (against the law), and were virtually the same color as the doors so they were almost invisible. The tactile graphics were so poorly done you could barely feel them. The letters had almost no contrast with the background. I've seen some bad and illegal signs, but this was among the worst I've seen! It's a good thing I had an eye operation or I could not have found our room.

Now for the good: The breakfast was the normal new HIE breakfast, but a cut above in terms of kind of fruit offered, Splenda for the coffee, and a good supply of everything. We noticed that the receptionist was also servicing the breakfast room, so they are either saving money during the remodeling, or are just making staff do double duty. However, the friendly staff members were certainly a bright note. Let's hope that they pull it together, fix some of the room deficiencies, and make it a good stop for the future.

Room Tip: I'd try to get one where remodeling was finished, check it out if possible, and maybe go for the...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Holiday Inn Exp... C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Corning, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Dear Sharon,
Thank you so much for all of the feedback, both good and bad. We really appreciate you taking the time to write such a detailed review because that shows us you really do want things fixed and up to standard.
I've shared your comments not only with my staff, but also the remodeling crew so we can put the new braille signage comment you had mentioned into action.
Once again, thank you so much for choosing Holiday Inn Express and we can't wait to see you next time!
Kindly,
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We staying May 24, departed may 26. Overall it was a great stay, staff was great. Rooms were nice, big, clean. Pool & spa were great as well.
We were down visiting family. I chose this hotel and the rate increase over another hotel because of the full hot breakfast. Which would save us on our trip. We were very disappointed about the breakfast on Sunday morning. There were gnats flying around in the bread box, cold eggs, petrified turkey sausage, and the gravy for biscuits was luke warm. There also was no one around to ask. The pancake machine was not working either. When someone appeared they seemed young and not caring about it all. They went to try and make the machine work and ignored the food or checking on it.
The next morning on Monday was a totally turn around. Hot, fresh, 2 sausage choices. The gentleman on shift was constantly in and out making sure all was fresh and hot.
Hotel is right on the freeway and our room was as well. Did not hear it one bit. It was a great stay with the exception of the Breakfast on that one day.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Holiday Inn Exp... C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Corning, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear Salemstevie,

Thank you so much for choosing the Holiday Inn Express in Corning, CA. I'm so sorry your experience with us didn't meet your expectations as I had hoped. I will promptly be taking actions on the matter so during your next visit, our service will be above and beyond your expectations. I am, however, very happy to hear that you enjoyed everything else about us and I would love to invite you back in the future to give us another try! We can't wait to better serve you :)
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed May 6, 2014

We stayed at this Holiday Inn from 4/30/14 to 5/5/14 and had a great experience. When I booked the first night I was in a jam because we were in town for my uncle's memorial services and were supposed to stay with my grandmother. My daughter was allergic to my grandmother's cat and we needed to book a hotel on short notice. I only booked one night initially. After having a nice stay the first night, I booked for the rest of the time we would be in the area. Our rooms were clean, and had recently had the carpet replaced and decor refreshed. We first stayed in 413 which had 1 bed (I think a king), then switched to 411 in order to get 2 queen beds so my sister and brother-in-law could stay with us. Both rooms had windows facing I-5, but we never felt bothered by it. All of the front desk staff were helpful and friendly. One guy was new and didn't know how to add my IHG member # to my reservation, but he said he would take care of it. We went to dinner and it was done by the time we came back. The breakfast was good. It had slight variation in the hot offerings, but I remember bacon, sausage, eggs, biscuits, gravy, yogurt, fruit, pancakes, breads, English muffins, juices, cold cereal, milk, muffins, tea and coffee. Even my notoriously picky 6 year old was happy with the offerings. They are in the middle of a decor update, but the only evidence I saw of it was the rolls of new carpet in the lobby. I saw a few men who looked like they were doing the work, but I never heard construction noise. I will book here the next time I visit my family in the area without hesitation.

Room Tip: Odd numbered rooms have windows that overlook I-5. Even numbered rooms have windows that overlook t...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Holiday Inn Exp... C, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Corning, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Dear Summer,

We are so sorry your daughter couldn't stay with your grandma because of her allergies, but health does come first and I'm happy to hear our Holiday Inn Express came to the rescue for your family!
As far as breakfast goes, you have a great memory, and your daughter has an even better taste! We do offer all of the items you've named plus more healthy options coming soon with our Express Start addition!
And finally, I can't express how happy our staff was to hear that you've noticed our recent renovations! I especially thanked the renovation team for keeping the noise down so families like yours wouldn't hear a sound! We look forward to seeing you in the future!

Take Care!
Chantel K. :)
Vancouver Island, Canada
Reviewed April 6, 2014

Checked in and were advised that they would be turning off the water between midnight and 3 am. Were assured that this would not affect our stay. Woken at 1:30 am with banging, sawing, dragging noises. Very loud and not abating. Called front desk who acted surprised to hear this???? They would send someone to stop the noise. Never happened. They were renovating 10 rooms right above us. We got dressed and were on the road at 3 am. Never again Holiday Inn. We did get our money back but not in a friendly way. I can't believe that this even happened.

Room Tip: Don't stay here if you expect to have a good night's rest.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Corning, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Dear cybercat83,

Thank you for staying with us and for bringing this to our attention. We are very sorry to hear about your experience on your recent stay. We would like to address your experience further, and have sent you an email with additional details.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed April 3, 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night. Tired from driving. 2 beds 2 people in my room. 2 friends in another room. Staff was great. Bed OK. Pillows should be discarded Looked and felt lumpy. Very bad air heating unit. Broken tile in bathroom. Breakfast was great. In middle of remodel. Feel some areas should be closed off while working. Walked by construction stuff on way to room. It was 8pm. Again not the staffs fault

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Corning, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Dear kayakcon,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your review is vital for improving the service and quality we offer to our valued guest. I am pleased to know that you found our staff and breakfast great and apologize for the inconvenience the condition of your room may have caused. It is always hugely motivating when one takes the time and trouble to acknowledge or give points for improvement. We hope to get the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future. Thank you once again for your valuable comment, and if you might have any suggestions that will contribute to enhancing your stay, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Corning
Best Western Plus Corning Inn
The Inn at Rolling Hills
The Lodge at Rolling Hills
Super 8 Corning
Super 8 Corning
#2 of 8 in Corning
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
Holiday Inn Express Red Bluff - South Redding Area

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Corning? Share your experiences!