FIRST, check our review from “Loved it because of the GREAT STAFF!!!” Aug 23 2011.
NOW......we were making our yearly trip to Southern CA and were on our way back. We tend to over-extend ourselves while traveling so, like last time, when we arrived we were very tired. We discussed staying in Sacramento but decided to push ourselves to Corning because of the great stay we had last time.
WOW what a difference a year makes. We got there at a reasonable hour this time and asked for Scott who was so great to us last time. She didn't know any Scott. We asked about Millie, also no idea. As it turns out the entire management an staff has changed and not for the better.
We tried to check in and were met with what appeared to be a 15 year old who was being trained by someone that didn't look much older than her. We were hot and tired and didn't like being part of a training exercise as it doubled the time it took to check us in. We got to our room was far less clean than what we remembered. The A/C was busted and we moved to another room. In that room the remote didn't work so we asked for new batteries. The desk didn't have any.
We went to breakfast the next morning. The breakfast server was about the same age as the girl from the previous night. We were discussing the difference from our last visit and a man sitting at the next table, apparently a regular, said that the hotel was in the process of being sold and that nothing is being fixed or replaced.
On our way out we asked for a manager to express our concerns. We were given a business card and told there was no managers available on the weekends. We commented on the A/C and batteries for the remote and were told there was no maintenance person on the weekends either.
We might stay here in future but we certainly won't push ourselves or go out of our way for it.
Too bad it used to be a great place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated off Interstate 5 (I-5) and in proximity to the Rolling Hills Casino, the Sacramento River, Thunderhill Raceway, and many lakes ideal for fishing and boating. Corning is well known for being the Olive Capital of the United States. The hotel is located 120 miles north of Sacramento, 19 miles from Red Bluff, 30 miles from Chico, 30 miles from Willows,and 50 miles from Redding. The Holiday Inn Express Corning is the perfect halfway point to many destinations. The Holiday Inn Express Hotel Corning offers 78 rooms on four floors and features a complimentary breakfast, complimentary wireless internet access, outdoor heated pool and whirlpool, exercise room, and business center. The nearby town of Chico is home to California State University, Chico (CSUC) and has a large athletic department, The Chico State Wildcats, which hosts sporting events throughout the year. Other area attractions are the Wildflower Bike Race, the Outlaws Baseball League, and the National YoYo Competition. Be sure to find your way to Bidwell Park, the Silver Dollar Speedway, Bidwell Mansion, and the various popular swimming holes, restaurants and downtown nightclubs. Red Bluff, only 15 miles away hosts rodeos and motorcross at the Tehama County Fairgrounds. Visit Corning, CA and Stay Smart at the Holiday Inn Express hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia, Priceline, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Corning reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel And Suites Corning
- Holiday Inn Express Corning
- Holiday Inn Corning
- Corning Holiday Inn