“Nice stay”

The Inn at Rolling Hills
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Corning
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We stayed here twice on a trip up to the northwest and back. Very nice rooms with a loveseat, refrigerator and microwave. Good internet access and a breakfast at the buffet next door. The room was quiet and very comfortable. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RetTravelers

Reviewed July 15, 2012

Very nice hotel. My children enjoyed indoor heated pool & I enjoyed the Rolling Hills Casino. Breakfast buffet included daily with stay. Staff very friendly and helpful. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank MenagerieTribe
Lee S, General Manager at The Inn at Rolling Hills, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2012

I am so happy you enjoyed your stay with us! It is a great benefit to everyone that the two hotels here allow guests to swim in either pool, The Lodge with the indoor heated pool, and The Inn with the sunshine and waterfall. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed June 19, 2012

The only pleasant moment of the experience was the lady who took the reservation over the phone. The dirty spa and pool, the hallways that smelled of sweat, the uncomfortable beds and the old and worn bed covers were the first impressions to greet guests. I wasn't terribly upset because the room was priced cheaply at $114.

However, my problems began with the staff when I asked for another towel because there were only three in the room (2 adults, 2 children) and I wanted to get towels for the pool area, as well. The young man behind the counter said that I would have to "sign out" for the towels and he was not terribly polite. When he handed me the towel I could see a hair hanging down from between its folds. I asked him if I could a towel without a hair and he insisted that there was no hair. I asked him if I could have another one and he shook the towel out and handed to me again. I asked again if I could get a different towel and he stuck his hand around the corner and I heard a cupboard door open and close. I am not sure if I ever got a clean towel and I was just disgusted by the experience. He was so rude and sneaky and I felt as if I was under suspicion for theft.

The following day just before we left my son and I went down to the pool. I received a phone call telling me that my elderly father was experiencing a tremor on his left side as well as some tingling. I hurriedly asked my son to get out of the pool because we needed to leave and then started through the lobby. As I past the desk I noticed three people standing behind it chatting, a maid, the front desk clerk and a man in a t-shirt who was drinking coffee. I had left one bath towel (my son had taken with him) and the two pool towels on chairs so I asked if it would be a problem if we left them there. The clerk answered that I would need to go get them unless I wanted to be charged. I asked how she would even know what room the towels were from and was there a sign off form? After all I had signed in. I asked her to get paperwork ready for me while I went back to the pool to get their towels. By the way, she could see the towel from where the three of them stood at the front desk. I went back out to the pool gathered the towels and came back in and tossed them up on the counter and told her my name and my room number as I continued on past the desk.

When I got to the room I gathered my family and belongings and headed back to the lobby to sign out. She stood there with her arms folded and said "What you did was inexcusable. You threw towels at me" Ridiculous. She never once behaved, in any way, professionally. She did sigh and tell me she was "Used to ..." this type of treatment. When I asked to see her manager she told me that she was not in that day. When we asked for the managers card she pointed with her chin to a rack of cards on the counter behind a straw basket of oranges and said "They are right there. You walked past them"

A suggestion for the management would be to hire adults and to screen future employees for histrionic personality disorder traits.

Overall, this was a horrible experience.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded June 26, 2012

I am so sorry you did not experience a pleasant stay with us. It began on the wrong foot with a misunderstanding about the pool towel. Our new clerk, who was indeed in training, misheard the word “hair” as “tear.” He needed to get a replacement towel from the office because we had a very high volume of guests that weekend and there were none left at the front desk. I was present and overheard this conversation, so I was able to teach him that the proper procedure for future guests would be to give the guest a new towel first, ask questions later. We do have a sign out procedure for the extra-large pool towels which we have had to implement due to the many towels which go missing.
As for the following day, may I first express my sympathy for your father’s health issues. The front desk clerk, who was the same individual who took your reservation, was unaware of this. The staff which was meeting that moment to determine which rooms needed maintenance for the day; were also unaware of an emergency. When the clerk tried to explain about the need for the towels which had been signed out the day before to either be turned in by the guest or left in the room, she was trying to help you. There were many guests here, and it would be easy to get confused and inadvertently charge for missing towels if another individual had taken them before we were able to collect them. When I arrived, apparently a half hour after you checked out, a witness to the event expressed dismay to me at the violence with which the towels had been thrown at the clerk. I’m sure this was unintentional and due to emotional distress.
Again, I apologize for the misunderstandings which occurred during your stay, we pride ourselves on friendly service and hospitality.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

Drove to Shasta, CA over the weekend and stopped overnight at this casino resort in Corning, CA. The casino is pretty moderate sized, the inn itself is small and detached from the main casino building. It may have been because of the holiday weekend that no rooms were available but 1 smoking double beds-sized room. We requested to check the room first before checking in. The room was not too offensive though it was a smoking room, it was clean, service was good, so we ended getting it. Room rate was $124/night, plus $10 per extra person. There were four of us in the room. We had to walk back to the main building to use the indoor heated pool/spa which was open 24hrs. A plus is the complimentary breakfast which consisted of wide selection of breakfast menu. Wouldn't mind staying at this in again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 23, 2012

My husband and I often travel to California to visit friends and relatives. Corning is a great midway stop for us and we both enjoy Casinos. The obvious stop for us is Rolling Hills. The staff at the Hotel is wonderful - friendly and helpful. The rooms are below average - uncomfortable bed, unattractive spread and decor and towels that look quite worn. We are extremly unhappy with the amount they charge for a room. It is way too high for what they offer and for being attached to a casino. Casino hotels elsewhere are much more reasonable and often more attractive and comfortable. Our other Oregon friends who make the same trips that we do are considering staying at another Hotel in Corning and driving to the Casino. We will probably do the same.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded June 26, 2012

I am so glad that our staff was able to meet and exceed your needs during your stay with us! We are continually working to improve our hotel and the guest services we offer. Part of that is working on the decor and improving the quality of each guest room. It is important to us that our guests find a clean and lovely room to rest in during their stay. Your comments help us to know how to improve, and I value that.
I would like to point out that, although we are located near the casino, we are not owned or subsidized by them, and we depend upon the revenue we make to continue to improve our facility. Also, your visit was during our high season, Chico State graduation, and that is one time of the year to expect the highest rates at hotels in our area. We do hope you will visit again when the rates are lower. We have many discounts available Sunday through Thursday, just ask our reservation clerk and they will help you.

Reviewed May 20, 2012

I thought the room was average and on the par of a good motel. Nothing spectacular including the beds. Didn't like having it unattached from the Casino. Thought it was higher in price than other Casino/Hotels we've stayed in. The Staff was friendly and the room was clean but average.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 18, 2012

My wife and I stayed here twice, the first in mid April when heading to southern Nevada and the second time on our return north in early May. The hotel is adjacent to the Rolling Hills casino and a very nice golf course. The rooms are bright, spacious and very clean and fresh without the chemical odors that detract from the enjoyment of stays in so many properties. Senior rates are available as is an included buffet breakfast.

The breakfast is not your typical mid range hotel breakfast offering, but rather the complete first class casino buffet breakfast next door. The buffet is on par with the better mid range Las Vegas resorts.

The front desk staff that we encountered, Steve and Amy, were both very polite and professional. We had a minor mix-up with our second night's billing, which we discovered after returning home. I called the hotel and the problem was resolved promptly and courteously. We will definitely plan to stay here on our next trip south. We recommend it highly.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Corning
The Lodge at Rolling Hills
Best Western Plus Corning Inn
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Corning
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
Super 8 Corning
Super 8 Corning
#2 of 8 in Corning
Holiday Inn Express Red Bluff - South Redding Area

Been to The Inn at Rolling Hills? Share your experiences!