“Good value to a few tips”
Review of Clarion Hotel

Clarion Hotel
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Concord
San Diego, California
“Good value to a few tips”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

This is actually a very well kept up big hotel. The rooms are extremely comfortable, with new big screen TVS, there is a limited choice but good, hot breakfast. Lots of parking. You can see it has been used to conventions with all the convention rooms, meeting tables in the hall. It even smells nice in the corridors and the rooms. Two problems why there need to be a warning: 1)I contend that good internet is a must these days. I could not do my internet writing work in the morning since it was so slow, almost unworkable. I tried the downtowna hotel computer and it was useable but a big slow. Ok...I can live with that. I've been to hotels where the internet is bad and I just went to Starbucks. 2) They originally wanted a $100 deposit "for incidentals," and the guy at the desk told me it would be released from my credit card or debit card in one to three working days. I went ballistic and ACCURATELY told him that two years ago I drove 49,000 in nine months on a special school tour (I'm an entertainer) and NOT ONCE did anyone ask for a deposit. He said some hotels now require it and most now do. WRONG. I've stayed at hotels this year and not one said they needed a $100 deposit - but I AM told by someone on a travel website that some hotels now require this. He said I could also go to the ATM and give them $100 which they'd give back on checkout. I checked in a midnight; I was planning to leave there at 7:30. SO you might CALL THEM if you don't want your credit card or debit card to have an EXTRA $100 deposit put on your card. Yes some hotels do it, but frankly if I knew that I would not have stayed there. Again this is a REALLY good value, good location, not new but extremely clean hotel. But if you are counting on Internet and aren't ready to give a deposit you might call them in advance and ask them (1) it the internet is good (sadly almost all hotels say it is and it can be awful) (2) if they require a $100 deposit. I was so exhausted and flabbergasted about that they were nice enough to waive it for me that night but it is not true that all hotels require this even in CA. GREAT VALUE GOOD STAFF COMFORTABLE

Room Tip: Sometimes routes on wifi are the problem so if you need wifi call and tell them you need to be in a...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed October 17, 2013

I have been here for 3 days I have added 3 extra days to our stay here. The staff is so great and helpful. First of all I had someone approach me in the parking lot around 10 pm asked me to let them in the pool area. I don't believe he was a guest. The staff had security out there before I could get back to my car to unload the rest of my items. Security then said they would keep an eye on my car so nothing would happen it. Car was fine. Then a guest put something very stinky like fish in the trash by the elevator on the fourth floor, our room is at the end of the hall and t stunk down there too. I called the front desk and it was taken care of less then 10 minutes later. No more bad odor. There is a review that says the carpets are dirty. I've been wearing new white socks they are still white, I wore them in the room for an entire day we were only gone for about 3 hours total. The breakfast isn't very good, but they do have muffins that are good and 2 types of bread for toast. Most buffet style breakfast isn't very good for eggs they compare to other hotels I've stayed at. I've stayed in hotels 18 days in the last 4 months. This is one of the nicest places. There is no fridge or microwave in our room but for the price I have a little cooler I keep stuff on ice. I have a son that lives 5 miles from this hotel who is renting a room from a friend, I prefer to get a room. I will be staying here again in about 3 weeks. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Lincolnshire
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Location good for access but unbelievably noisy due to proximity to the freeway.

We asked for a new room after the first night because the service lift at the back of our room kept waking us. I estimate both of us slept for less than 2 hours. Should have requested a mid-night room change really.

Staff were friendly and accommodating and upgraded us to the tower building which was much better although still lots of freeway noise.

Breakfast poor so you might want to get some elsewhere.

Otherwise easy to find and with the exception of noise, good value for money and clean.

Room Tip: Only consider the tower block.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Vancouver
Reviewed September 27, 2013

The room was fine, it was clean and adequate with good internet. Staff were helpful and kind ( which is key). We had breakfast included in the room, OMG. WORST breakfast I have ever had in any hotel. Coffee was bad, eggs were awful, toast yuck, there wasn't even peanut butter. Day 1, a drive to Starbucks, Day 2, went to Trader Joes the night before and grabbed some fruit and a muffin and used my Starbucks Via for coffee.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Attractive property conveniently located in central Contra Costa County near Walnut Creek, Pleasant Hill, Martinez, and Concord. Close to two BART stations for easy access to Oakland and San Francisco. Right off Hwy 680 and near Hwy 4 and Hwy 242. Shopping centers and restaurants nearby. My room in the Tower was spacious, clean, well maintained and everything worked. Shower was very good and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was up-to-date and the A/C worked fine. Free Internet access was reliable and fast. Staff was friendly and helpful. This was the best of the affordable hotels in this area. The next best thing was a Super 8 in Martinez. I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Concord, California
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Me and my family were in a situation where we had no home and no where to go, and though we were finding a place of our own, we needed a place to rest, to heal. When I came into this hotel, it's awesome how nice they were to us and how flexible they were to accommodate us, if we ever had a problem or anything, they would fix it for us, they were a great help, especially Charmaine Ang. The rooms were very nice, beds were comfy and the HD tv and free Wi-Fi made us feel right at home, free breakfast is always a plus. Housekeeping and staff were very nice and the bar was very friendly. The hotel gave us peace and hope after a rough time in our lives, I recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Maple Grove, Minnesota
Reviewed August 21, 2013

The front desk area looked fine when we checked in but things went downhill from there, we had a room in the tower section, the carpets looked dirty and had some staining from the hallway on the way to the elevators, when we finally got to our floor (2nd) the carpet was worse and it was hard to tell what type of dark stains they were, we got into our room and the air conditioner seemed to work but their was a faint odor in the room, we tried pool but it was not well maintained and had litter in the pool, to make matters worse we had someone try to get in our room overnight, I will give you one time as a wrong room mistake but three or more times then something is wrong and on one of the times my daughter heard them say don't wake them up which she didn't tell me till after breakfast, the horrible breakfast they served made my decision that much easier I went straight to the front desk and said I was out of their and didn't want to stay for our remaining nights after telling them our story from the room conditions to the late night disruptions they allowed us to leave paying for the first night only that may have been due to my choice privileged member status but even paying for that night didn't feel right, when you look at Google Maps image you see that they were shut down in 2011 I would be curious to find out why, something needs to change at this hotel before i would ever return our recommend it to anyone I know.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Rich H

Travelers are raving about these Concord hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Concord
Hilton Concord
Embassy Suites by Hilton Walnut Creek
Pleasant Hill Inn
Pleasant Hill Inn
#4 of 5 in Pleasant Hill

Been to Clarion Hotel? Share your experiences!