“throwback steakhouse”

Steven's Steak & Seafood House
Reserve with OpenTable
Steven's Steak & Seafood House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 63 Restaurants in Commerce
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Atlantic & Eastern Avenue
Description: It was just yesterday when we opened our doors. If Yesterday was October of 1952. Steven's is America's premier traditional steakhouse. We are committed to providing you with outstanding hospitality and serving you the best steaks. Our acclaimed wine list, rich ambiance and personal wait-service are designed to provide you with a truly memorable steakhouse experience. We also have another side of personality. Our lounge is alive with the hottest sounds of Salsa and many other Latin vibes. I In addition, we have seven private dining rooms for that perfect quiet evening. Whether you are planning a business dinner, graduation, wedding, anniversary, rehearsal dinner, birthday or a large corporate meeting, we will satisfy your needs in a friendly and professional manner. Steven's steakhouse Gift Cards are the perfect gift for every steak lover. We look forward to serving you.
Reviewed February 11, 2014

NOTHING and I mean, NOTHING, beats a throwback steakhouse. Like the Top in Columbus, Stevens is a classic where any minute you expect the Rat Pack to come out and there should be smoke lingering in the air. The service is that same old style, abrupt, not ready to answer questions but quick and perfunctory, a lot like Peter Luger's.

The food is good, enough to kill you with the grease in some of those menu items. Never tried the steak as I have always gone for lunch, but soon enough!

There are newer reviews for Steven's Steak & Seafood House

Reviewed January 26, 2014

It really is a shame. We wanted to have a great time, and in reality, the food was pretty (we will get to that later). The place was packed, and even with reservations, we had to wait a bit. They have live music that night (maybe every night) and we were given the choice of sitting near the salsa band or in a quieter part of the restaurant. We chose the latter, which on reflection, triggered the wait.

Did I mention that the place was popular? Who knew -- it is a little tired looking and has been around for many, many years. In the lobby, there are photos of celebrities, and the live ones outnumber the ones who have passed, but not by too much.

Further, there were two celebrations -- the birthday of an 80 year old as one of them.

So, perhaps, we caught Steven's at a bad time -- at least for us. Salsa dancing, Saturday night, two celebrations...yikes!

The restaurant is large with a ton of seating. There is a large bar area and space for a band and dancing. And after 9 PM, there was a lot of dancing. In fairness, the quiet area was far removed from the band, and it was relatively quiet, but next to the kitchen.

So, we waited about 30 minutes to get seated. Once seated, we waited for about 30 to 45 minutes to get our entree -- soup and salad landed shortly after we ordered. My guess is that we got trapped behind the large parties and the kitchen got backed up, because folks who were seated about 20 minutes after us got their food at about the same time as us.

The food. The salad was okay -- a variety of interesting greens with a ranch dressing that tastes suspiciously like blue cheese. The French Onion soup showed limited evidence of cheese or onions. We received pasta as we waited for the entrees. Spaghetti and meat marinara. It was okay, but a little too salty for our taste.

We ordered filet and ribeye medium rare. The 12 oz. filet arrived perfectly cooked -- a tower of tender, meaty goodness. The ribeyes, surprisingly, were a little rare for our palates. No blood, but a raw, red center. It was a shame, because the meat was seasoned and grilled well -- great flavor and not too charred on the outside of the steak. When the steaks returned, they were the right color, but the steaks had lost flavor due to the additional re-grillng, and the surface texture became much more firm. The baked potato was enormous, and good, though it was on the wrong plate when the steaks came back.

Since the filet was perfect, our assumption is that in the rush to get food out, the kitchen undercooked our steaks.

Despite the wait, our service was great. Our server was positive, apologetic, upbeat, friendly, and very attentive. Delays are not her fault, and she tried to be attentive as we waited.

After our 2 1/2 hour ordeal, the dinner was over and we left to the searing rhythms of salsa music. After hours is where the hips kids go to dance.

Hints: Ask ahead and see if there are massive celebrations the night you plan to go. If there are -- go another night. Check if there is salsa that night. If you like to dance, go. If you want to eat in relative quiet (so you can hold a conversation), eat earlier in the evening (~6 to 6:30).

Reviewed January 6, 2014

The experience was very good. The service was very good. The bread, complimentary pasta, veggies and the mahi-mahi was very good with the veracruz sauce.

The "world famous french onion soup" was good, but to me not noteworthy of the claim....

Overall very pleased with the visit.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

We went while staying in Commerce and went to this restaurant based on the review. I agree with all the positive comments and would highly recommend this restaurant. I had the scallops and they were simply delicious. I was concerned ordering seafood in a steak house but they were better then what I have had in most seafood restaurants. The service was spot on.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

We went here for our last night in LA as they are renowned locally for their prime rib. The restaurant is lovely and is very stylish with an old Italian type theme of décor.

We were shown to our table and chose a carafe of wine. A bowl of warm bread was brought along. We have learnt our lesson dining in the US and never order a starter so we went straight for the main. I had seen the steak come out and thought this my be a little large for me so I opted for roast beef and my husband chicken. After the bread you get a choice of soup or salad with your meal which is no extra charge on your main dish. I had salad my husband soup. We then were surprised as they bring you pasta in marina sauce. My husband thought they got the order wrong but this again a part of your main. After this we received our meat and veg.
The food was delicious and we were so stuffed when we left. We were also agog watching the gent across form us manage a 32oz piece of prime rib. It turned out he stayed a our hotel and he said it was one of the best pieces of rib he had ever had. It melted in his mouth.

They also have salsa ( I think at weekends) in another part of the building and it is extremely busy. Our meal including the wine came to approximately $50 which was a bargain for the quality and surroundings. I highly recommend this restaurant.