“Quaint Hotel!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of City Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Columbia
City Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Columbia B&B and Inns
tulsa
“Quaint Hotel!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

We recently stayed overnight at the City Hotel in Columbia. It is truly a trip back in time!
Be aware.. there is no telephone in room, no television in room, no one in service at night, and you must go down the hallway to shower. We were given a key to the main door of the hotel with special directions as to how to get in after 9:00 p.m. All that having been said, it truly is an experience. You are back in the l800s. So if you want peace, quiet, and trip back in time, go for it!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank maxine m

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Clovis, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

Fun, back in time place to visit. Hotel was originally built around 1870? 10 rooms, double beds with 1/2 baths. Private shower rooms just a few steps away.No phones or televisions to maintain authenticity. Wi-Fi is available. Continental breakfast served every day. Restaurant downstairs has excellent food. Old world, 19th century ambience is maintained everywhere. Want to get away from it all? This is the place.

Room Tip: Choose the balcony rooms, there are only 2 that face out on to the main street. Everyth\ing closes e...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tracy H
Ceres, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

Hotel is tired. It was clean. Bed was a full size and very uncomfortable. We won't stay there again. Our room opened to a balcony, however there was a very large step to get to the balcony. They provided robes and slippers.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank zmarys
sacramento
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2012

Wow! My 8 year old son and I stayed in this beautiful historic hotel. The rooms were very clean and cozy. The decor was 1850's antiques and were amazing. My son was in awe! We had a wonderful meal at the delicious fine dining restaurant downstairs and the staff were all friendly and very knowlegable. We will definately be back!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank andrea j
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2012

We had such a fantastic time. Now be aware there is no tv, no phones and two shared shower closets. It's an old school hotel but it takes you back in time, and that's really IMO what staying in old towns like this are all about.

We arrived at night and recieved our room key from the bartender. This is a quiet little town so the streets are dead after about 6pm. We stayed in room #1. We went to bed around 9pm and sometime in the middle of the night we were woken up by a music box playing, we didn't think to much of it, becase at the time, we didn't realize we were the only (living) people there. A bit later we were woken up again by a young womans voice moaning and we heard a baby cry. Again, not thinking much of it, we went back to sleep. A little later I was trying to sleep and finally fell asleep and had the wierdst dream of all white with a moth fluttering around. As I was in this dream I kept getting a electric type shock on my right side up and down. from my cheek to my thigh. It kept waking me up but never really came out of the dream. In the morning we came out of our room to a nice and simple little breakfast to find out that we indeed were the only one's in the hotel. When we started accounting for the events the nice ladies informed us that the music box was the captains ghost in room 2. He purchased the box for his wife. The woman moaning and crying was a young teen girl who was married to a wealthy man in Columbia she and her baby died in room 7 down the hall while giving birth. They said that the ghost of a little boy was probably the one that was polking me all night.

We were facinated and ended up staying our second night. That night we weren't the only ones in the hotel staying. We remained in room one. I really didn't want to be scared so decided to just keep my eyes closed all night. Around 3am I asked my boyfriend, "honey can you turn on the light (only one on his nightstand) so I can go to the bathroom. I barely got the words out of my mouth when my cell phone from across the room turned on. We sat up, looked at each other and knew for certain, there was no gag on us, we were not alone in our room. It was pretty cool.

Room Tip: Room 1, 2, 7 our haunted, at least from our experiance.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ajlively
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2011

People around Columbia, CA were thrilled when the historic City Hotel opened again after a few years of standing empty. We used to love going there. That's why I took a friend from Nebraska for 2 nights just after Thanksgiving. Sadly, NOT a good idea. The new ownership/management takes off at 5, leaving no service until about 8 the next morning. The rooms were very cold with s-l-o-w space heaters provided but not turned on for our arrival. I'm sitting in my room in a fleece jacket after this heater has been on for 2 hours now.
Our room (6) was above the bar last night, & it was so loud that we couldn't read a book, let alone sleep.
The staff are nice enough as individuals and try their best to accommodate & please, but there seems to be no (or bad) leadership from the top. I will never, never stay here again-& that's a shame because I wanted it to go. For me it's back to the Columbia Gem motel, where service & attention is valued.

• Stayed November 2011
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Campervann
Columbia_Hotels, Public Relations Manager at City Hotel, responded to this review, December 10, 2014
Campervann, I am so sorry to hear about your terrible stay at the Columbia City Hotel. I would like to personally invite you to come back and stay one more time. The hotel is now under new management. We have installed brand new heating and air conditioning in each of our rooms. Our bar and restaurant are also presently closed until further notice, so you will not be kept awake all hours of the night. Please give our hotel another chance, and give us a call at (209)532-1479
San Leandro, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

The best part about the City Hotel is that it is right in the middle of Columbia State Historic Park, a living Ghost Town. The hotel has been very well renovated and has good sized rooms with a comfy bed. Best part was that the rooms had a small bathroom with toilet and sink...rare for a hotel of this age and style. Once the State Park closes, there is not much to do but wander the closed up town and hang out in one of the three Saloons/restaurants...but even that was fun. Plus you practically have the whole town to yourself! Great place for history buffs and photographers.

Suggestions for improvement:
The shared shower rooms (one person showers in the hallway, shared by all rooms) need to get renovated badly. The shower floors were stained and appeared dirty, the shower head has seen better days and had horrible water pressure, and the room overall felt dingy. I wouldn't look forward to showering there again.

The included breakfast was not served on time. After repeated requests by several of the guests, coffee was finally brought up an hour or more after the stated start time, with the food another 15 - 30 minutes behind that. The food and coffee were good, and the continental breakfast is substantial, but if you are on a tight schedule, don't count on it being on time.

All in all, I would stay here again, or give the sister hotel down the street a try.

Room Tip: Look at the room map, and pick one that is not over the Saloon! Much quieter at the back of the hote...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Bibndum
Also consider these accommodations in or near Columbia
Gunn House Hotel
BEST WESTERN PLUS Sonora Oaks Hotel & Conference Center
BEST WESTERN Cedar Inn & Suites
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites - Royal Carriage
1859 Historic National Hotel

Been to City Hotel? Share your experiences!