Open today: 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Review Highlights
The Tour is good, the sites are average

The Tours was very good to learn the history of the events, The town and Mill are not much to see... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
rjwood48
El Dorado Hills, California
Oliver from N.Y.C. So Wrong!

Oliver's review popped up first on this site. Let me make a few corrections. First of all the... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
nsgw
El Dorado, California

All reviews gold rush blacksmith shop american river pan for gold california history visitor center chinese immigrants school children along highway small fee great history history lesson beautiful area field trip lots of history walking tour couple hours
Selected filters
Reviewed July 2, 2019

The place has multiple interesting gold rush museums and old houses to visit. There is a Mill replica, Gold-Rush era Chinese store - museum, activities for kids, Tipis, Old prison, blacksmith house, etc. Worth spending a full day in the fun place of history.

Date of experience: July 2019
Reviewed June 25, 2019

I took my 9-year-old daughter here after learning about the gold rush in school. We did the gold panning lesson, then the guided tour with Norm, which was really interesting. He explained how difficult life was for the people who came to CA in search of gold. It's amazing to stand in this quiet place and imagine it overrun by thousands of people 170 years ago

The ladies in the cabin were great too. They showed us how to cut wood with a huge saw and taught us how to play the game of "grace", which my daughter loved. We also got to write with a feather quill and ink pot, it felt like we were at Hogwarts!

The blacksmith shop was really neat, I'm glad another reviewer suggested stopping there. The blacksmith demonstrated how to make a little flower from a piece of iron, which my daughter got to keep as a souvenir. Definitely a must-see.

We saw lots of lizards, birds, and squirrels in the park, and even a young deer who strolled by the picnic tables! The river and the scenery were beautiful. It was a fun day and we look forward to visiting again.

Reviewed June 14, 2019

Despite the fact we thought we knew California history we had no idea Coloma was the actual place the gold rush started . This park is spread out but well marked on the map.the visitor center was well done and the air conditioning appreciated on a very hot day. Lots to see and listen too as several of the historical spots had basically historians with a flair for acting. All the volunteer staff that did the tours were grand. We especially enjoyed the gals at the cabin. The gentleman doing the part of the tour at the sawmill was equally good. While we were staying in another town we certainly will come back and stay at the rv park right on the river. A must second or third visit.

Reviewed June 4, 2019 via mobile

A must. We were two kids at heart. The tour was very nice and informative but panning for gold was the highlight. Plus we got to keep what we found. We totally enjoyed the day. Whether you are with children or just want to laugh and have a fun filled day!

Reviewed May 28, 2019

Such a cool little park. It is spread around 2-4 blocks and your littles can get sworn in as a junior ranger. My littles LOVED being sworn in and took the ceremony very seriously. The blacksmith volunteers were super patient and informative engaging my 5 and 3.5 year old. They passed out metal puzzle rings and showed the kids how to do them.

The gift shop in the main area was super affordable and I didn't feel like I had to mortgage my house in order to buy souvenirs.

Date of experience: May 2019