“Special orders don't upset them!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: American, Diner
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating
Modesto, CA
“Special orders don't upset them!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

First of all, the food was outstanding. Great quality specialty burgers. The nice husband-and-wife owners were working very very hard and seem like a fine tuned machine working together. The man asked us several questions trying to clarify the way we wanted our bunless hamburgers. He wanted to know if we wanted it as a wrap or to be eaten with a fork. We appreciated the attention to detail and trying to please us. The owner also suggested a cheaper alternative to the burger my husband was requesting.
There is a really cute train running all around in & out of the room near the ceiling. When we look right over our heads the train track was very very dusty. Also the ceiling fan blades were very dirty. None of this was over the cooking area.
I have no doubt the owners work very hard.
Would I return? You bet! We plan to be regulars every time we go through this town

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Grass Valley, California
“A local prize that we'll share with travelers”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

Little tiny Colfax Max Diner has survived and indeed thrived for years, even though McDonald's is only a few doors away. When you get off the freeway in Colfax, on your way to or from Reno or Tahoe, pass by the fast food chain and look for the little diner hidden away in the strip mall. Colfax Max will serve you a handmade burger or sandwich, that is made before your eyes by a cook that really cares whether you will like it. There is a nice selection of sandwiches and sides on the menu and the quality and quantity is exceptional. We've patronized Colfax Max Diner for 12 years and will continue to do so. It's not roses, candles and chandeliers for ambiance, but it's a great informal dinner and come-as-you-are. See you there.

• Visited April 2013
Colfax, California
“Best Burgers In Town!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

If you are looking for the best burger experience in Colfax or anywhere for that matter Colfax Max will not disappoint! I have been sneaking up from Grass valley for years and now live right down the street.They use fantastic ingredients and have a knack for cooking a burger "just right". I always get the Bulldog Blue burger or the Gunslinger! Uh Oh! I just made myself hungry! See ya at the Max!

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Truckee, California
“Wild Game Burgers - but the boyscouts beat me to them!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

This place servers burgers - that is it. If you are not in the mood for a burger - go else where. I was really looking forward to trying the wild game burgers. I was trying to decide between Kangaroo (yes) and Buffalo. I have had Buffalo before, so I was really leaning towards the Kangaroo. I was informed that they were currently out of all wild game burgers. Two scout troops came in earlier in the day and cleaned them out. That leads me to believe that there is a limited supply of each of the game burgers. Like two alligator, one kangaroo, three elk, and three buffalo? So I ordered a regular burger. It was good and I really enjoyed the coleslaw. We also shared a large basket of onion rings. Those were yummy.
They had 4 beers on tap, a full soda fountain, and a great selection of milkshakes. My daughter enjoyed the coconut milk shake.
The place was small - counter seats - maybe 15. Booths - maybe 6? The owners were busy working the entire place. The service was average+ - a sloshing out of the pint beer was delivered twice - not to worry we cleaned it up. 4 Waters - one root beer. Root beer was forgotten. The owner was the only waitress in the place - and it was full - that is why I gave the "+".
The place was clean and sparsely decorated. They did have an awesome train track mounted to the ceiling with Thomas engine making the rounds. That was fun when they turned it on. They limit the amount of time Thomas runs on the track - I overheard the owner say that the trains only work for "X" amount of hours a day and they run Thomas way more than the recommended work load for an engine. So if you really want to see it, ask.

The kitchen is available for all to see. The place is small. I was tempted to pull the fries out of the deep fryer each time the bell went off. You will smell like the deep fryer when you leave.

I would like to try the wild game burgers. I will call before I stop.

• Visited February 2013
Colfax, California, United States
“Small town hominess”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

Best hamburgers at the oldest diner in town. It's where the locals go when they want a great burger. Jason, the owner knows just about everybody and is on the city council. Great, friendly, relaxed atmosphere. Free WiFi. Lousy location - but worth finding.

• Visited January 2013