WINNER WONDERLAND

“Nice Rooms, Could be So Much Better” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chukchansi Gold Resort & Casino

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Coarsegold
San Jose, Ca
“Nice Rooms, Could be So Much Better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

Let me start by saying that this was my first experience at an Indian Casino so I have nothing else to compare it to, and I refuse to compare it to a Las Vegas Resort, because this is certainly not Vegas, there just is no comparison. There is nothing around it! We Traveled here in early July, for 2 nights with our two daughters and my in-laws. We got two rooms, close proximity, on the newer tower. As far as the rooms go, I really have no complaints. The rooms were clean and spacious and the furnishings were nice enough. The view from our room sadly was not the best, we were looking stright at the water tank. We went with the intentions to go to Yosemite for the day and my husband's parents to gamble. All in all, it was a nice stay, but I am not sure I would go back again.
Since I don't gamble I cannot say anything about that aspect but I overheard quite a few people mentioning that the slots weren't very generous... Overall it is not a good value, the rooms are not cheap and the food is expensive as well. So is the arcade. There are no freebies here. We found that it is quite far from Yosemite, about 1 hour from the entrance, but another 45 minutes to get down to Yosemite valley, so we ended up spending way too much time on the road. Next time, we do Yosemite, will stay somewhere closer.

PROS: Rooms are nice and spacious, the country around it is very nice. There are plenty of choices to eat, even thou the food is not amazing, it is still pretty decend, all the places we tried were fine. The Kids's Arcade is a nice touch, giving the young ones something to do. There is a nice spa, but I didn't have time to try it. The Free Valet Parking, do take advantage, or it's a long walk.

CONS: The Smoke!!! Even before you walk in, you can smell it. In the evening it's horrible, and all our clothes stunk, even what we didn't wear. The lack of things to do if you don't gamble..., you are pretty much stuck at the pool. That brings me to a whole new complaint.... The pool area is grossly neglected! There is Bird poop everywere! from the Outside windows to the floor and chairs. There are very few lounge chairs, no one in attendance and the bar is not open, even if all you want is a bottle of water you have to go up to a bar on the casino to get it! The indoor side of the pool is showing wear and tear as well, and the area you swim under is pretty disgusting. I cannot believe they have so much pride in the Lobby and Entrance, and neglected the pool area like that. It has so much potential, it is a shame!

Check-in/Check-out: The check in and check out process needs some help as well. The process is slow, they are not particularly helpful or nice, and they do this weird thing: at check in, they credit back to you your other paid nights and then they charge you for them again at Check Out. I really don't see the point in this practice. If something was pre-paid, months ago, why give it back to charge it in two days? Also, be aware that 30 minutes before your check out time your Room Key will no longer work.

So we were a little dissapointed overall, because with just a little more effort they could make it a much better place to stay and play.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the higher floor, so you can be as far away from the smoke as possible, and have a...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank MOMof2SanJose_Ca
GSCoordinator, Front Office Manager at Chukchansi Gold Resort & Casino, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Hello MOMof2SanJose_CA,

I would like to thank you for staying with us at our hotel and casino and appreciate your review and feedback of your recent stay with us. I am saddened to hear that we failed to make a satisfactory impression during your first stay, and I assure you that we will do what we can to improve for your next stay and for future guests.

Your feedback is very valuable, as I will provide to other departments to build on our improvement of our facility. I will also make sure that our staff is warm, welcoming, and accommodating in case you come and see us again.

In the meantime, thank you again for your valuable input and your stay. I sincerely hope that we could be of service to you again.

Hotel Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
South Florida, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

I have a mixed review of this property. As a general statement, I would say the hotel is spacious, clean, and a nice place to stay but not so nice that it justifies the high prices. Las Vegas hotels make their money from the gambling, but this one seems to make its money from the rooms and restaurants. I would not stay there again since I do not see the value, but at the last minute it was all I could find.

Here are some notable points.

The good:
1) Check in was fast with plenty of staff available.

2) The room was large and luxurious. It was FAR nicer than the room I stayed in at a Las Vegas Casino (can't remember the name of that one, but it was a non-famous one in the middle of the strip).

3) Cute Chukchansi stamped rubber ducky in the bathroom (tempted to steal it but I did not, asked if they sell them in the gift shop and was told no).

The bad:

1) The gal at the check in desk was not terribly familiar with the area. I asked for help from another check in person the next morning and found the same thing. Neither could answer my question, and neither one sought help from coworkers.

2) The casino area is smoke filled. I guess that is only bad if you are a non-smoker, but I am and the smoke was excessive. Since all of the hotel's restaurants are in the casino area, you just have to hold your breath and hope for the best.

The parts that are both mostly bad, but have some good to offset them:

1) Parking area gets VERY crowded. Lots of gamblers seem to come for the casino. You have to park far away with your luggage (really not terribly long but when you have luggage, 2 blocks seems far) BUT the shuttle bus comes quite frequently so that offsets the distance.

2) Plenty of dining options during regular hours, but not so much late at night when you finally make it back from Yosemite. Everything at the deli is pre-made and they ran out of things from the menu every day I was there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank CasualTraveller2013
Hello CasualTraveller2,

Thank you for your review regarding your previous stay at our hotel and casino. It is nice to know that our guests that stay with us give us clear insight of our hits and misses.

I am sorry to hear that the staff you encountered at the front desk were not able to assist you with directions of our area. That is definitely something that I will work on with them as we move forward. I appreciate your feedback regarding this as this can be a training incentive for them.

We do hope that you will reconsider seeing us in the future. I know that we can make a viable and satisfactory difference if given another oppportunity to be of service. In the meantime, thank you for staying with us and for your useful and valuable review. We hope to be of service to you and your family again.

Warmly,

EL MONTE
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

This is one of the decent hotel to stay if you are visiting the Yosemite. It is about an hour drive from the Yosemite. Be careful to watch cops, they can hide at the road close to Casino waiting. They know you are from out of town and chances you come back for fighting a ticketing on court is slim. So go back to hotel before Sunset. Don't even think about spend any money in the town around this area, the darkness makes driving difficult and easy for cops to ticketing you.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sunshine201008
GSCoordinator, Front Office Manager at Chukchansi Gold Resort & Casino, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Hello sunshine201008,

Thank you for sending your review through Trip Advisor. I am sorry to hear about your experience with the highway patrol in our area. I sincerely hope that they have not deterred you from stopping by and seeing us again.

We appreciate your valuable stay in hopes of seeing you again.

Thank you.

Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

We stayed at Chuckchansi Resort for one night last week on our way back from the grueling hike to Half Dome. Our bodies and feet were beat from the 8 hour uphill and 6 hours of downhill hike. We have stayed in Oakhurst in the past and tried to avoid staying there. In Oakhurst you are charged average $150 a night for a dumpy motel. We tried to get a cheaper price through Priceline but nothing below $140 was accepted. Our first day in Yosemite we paid $220 for one night at Yosemite Lodge at the Falls and it was terrible. It looked like a one star motel. Yosemite hotels are riding on their location. Chuckchanis is about 1 1/2 hours south of Yosemite. When we arrived at Chuckchansi we were greeted with wonderful customer service. It was 10pm and we needed a rollaway bed and they told us it was free!!!! Valet parking...Free!!!! We had a rate of $107.00 for a very clean and comfortable room. We had arrived late and by the time we walked to our room the rollaway was already placed in the room!!! Where would you get this kind of service anywhere? The bathroom was super clean with a vanity chair. The shower felt awesome after a long hot hike. Unless you want to pay over $400 a night at Ahwanee with pretty basic rooms, your best chance of comfort and service is Chuckchansi. We are staying at Chuckchansi next time for our trip to Yosemite.

Room Tip: Call the resort directly. Their staff will help you with all your questions.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank nitpicky-traveler1
Hello Nitpicky-Traveler1,

Thank you for your great review. I am happy that we were able to meet your needs with our service and our product. We sincerely hope that we can be of service to you again real soon. In the meantime, I thank you for staying with us.

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

We only stayed here one night (and got there late). There is a 24 hours casino (smoking indoors) which was really fun.
The room was spacious, with 2 comfortable beds. I like that the sink/mirror was separate from the rest of the bathroom. There is also free parking and free cable tv.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Hello Alexa_Z_04,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I am very glad to hear that you had a nice stay while you were with us. we sincerely appreciate being of service to you and we hope to have the opportunity to be your "home-away-from-home" in the near future.

Take great care, and thanks again for staying with us. We look forward to seeing you again.

Kindest Regards,

Fresno, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

Nice large rooms. The tower away from the check in counter is down a long hallway, but the elevators are fast. Overall clean room. Bedding is so so. Older bed with flat sheets and thick stiff pillows. If possible take your own pillow. Towels have a lot of starch to the point of being a little rough. No Robes provided. Good service from all the employees we delt with.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello RWells5733,

I would like to thank you for your review. I am glad to hear that our service was great for you while you were with us. In regards to the stached towels and the linens in our rooms, we will look into changing things up some for better comfortability for future guests. I sincerely hope that we have an opportunity to serve you again.

Thanks again for staying with us, and thank you again for your great review.

Warm Regards,

Thousand Oaks, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

First time we have stayed at Chukchansi while we were visiting Yosemite. Our suite was comfortable and well appointed, accommodates a small family easily with two bathrooms and a nice seating area in the front room.

The resort restaurants offer more variety than we expected and the food was good. The atmosphere on weekdays is quiet and relaxed, and no crowds to speak of.

• Stayed September 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coarsegold
BEST WESTERN PLUS Yosemite Gateway Inn
Americas Best Value Inn Yosemite-Oakhurst
The Pines Resort
The Pines Resort
#1 of 1 in Bass Lake

Been to Chukchansi Gold Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!