“This hotel has continually upgraded its product”

Best Western Big Country Inn
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Coalinga
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We have stayed at the hotel several times a year for mant years. In the past year we have observed many improvements which include updated rooms and furnishings, new and improved breakfast items and more friendly and efficient staff. For a hotel that is basically for travelers stopping over it is now a very pleasant place to stay. Additionally the Harris Ranch restaurant is in close proximity for a great dinner.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Boise1939

Reviewed August 20, 2012

This hotel is conveniently located right off the 5 freeway, across the freeway from Harris Ranch. It is a clean motel and has all of the amenities you need for a break from driving the 5. There is a clean pool, free hot breakfast in the morning, and walking distance to all the fast food Coalinga has to offer (Carls Jr., McDonalds, Taco Bell, Burger King). The beds are pretty comfortable and the a/c works well. The rooms are also clean.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank bopqueen
Reviewed May 24, 2012

Our experience was blighted by my reception at the front desk upon arrival. Perhaps Olga believes that her behavior is professional but I interpreted it as surly and unfriendly - shockingly so.
Prior to arrival I had my first contact with her when I phoned and asked if there was a convenience store near the Motel. She said there was not, but in fact the service station across the street has a large convenience store component. She did not even provide her misinformation in an agreeable manner.
The room keys she gave me didn't work. I had to go again to the desk and she re-programmed them.
The room had NO CLOCK. My husband said the clock on the microwave was sufficient but I do not agree.
The motel literature said that there was tea and coffee available in the lobby. There was not, but if you ask about it you will be given tea bags or coffee packets for the machine in the room.
There was no blanket on the bed, only a bedspread and sheet.
On a positive note, I did enjoy the breakfast that was provided.
Needless to say, I would not return to this establishment.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank exploring1
Reviewed March 26, 2012

This hotel is about mid way between east bay SF and Los Angeles, immediately off HWY 5, and so fairly convenient
At this price, which is much lower than the nicer Harris ranch Inn across the freeway, we had a selection of two pillows per sleeper (hotel as kings and 2 queens). Room a good size. No tea. Regrettably, it seems we heard a truck running it's diesel motor all night long. Otherwise since the hotel is 1 floor, it's reasonably quite - other than travelers who speaking loudly as they depart at 4am.
Denny's is immediately next door (walking distance) which is 24 hr and has OK, cheaply priced food. If you seek good-fancy food, go via car across the freeway to Harris Ranch Inn which is open to 10pm/11pm.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 1, 2012

Room very clean as were the grounds. Check in friendly. Amenities as advestised. Much better than I expected considering previous reviews which gave 1 excellent and almost evenly split the four other catagories. Hot breakfast included scrambled eggs and sausage in addition to the usual cereal, fruit and Belgion waffle. Only negative was only 4 tables in the breakfast room -- maxed out even with sharing tables.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bbqdave
Reviewed October 23, 2011

I decided to stay at the BW because it looked the nicest out af the three motels on that exit. I was traveling with my two small children so I wanted a nice clean room. I wanted to give my kids a bath but to my surprise the tub was very dirty. Soap scum and hair. It wasn't cleanned in while. I they gave me a new room but did not offer to help or even bring me the key. What a hassel. The new room looked clean. I guess it was lucky they were not sold out or I would have been stuck in a dirty room or Motel 6 next door. Oh, the Breakfast was good.

Room Tip: Check it befor you settle in.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 5, 2011

Roughly midway between San Francisco and San Diego, this seemed like a good place to stop and recharge before continuing on our way. The hotel is not fancy, but it is clean and has a small pool. The room was quite spacious and the air conditioning worked very well. The room had a fridge, a microwave, and one of those individual cup coffee makers. Breakfast is included, and while not fancy, was enjoyable and a decent spread. There were waffles, bacon, juice, hot coffee and tea, cold cereals, and toast. Presented buffet style, no ordering and waiting - just get your food, eat, and then back on the road.
My only complaint is the pillows - possibly the most uncomfortable I have ever encountered. If you can, bring your own.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coalinga
Harris Ranch Inn
#3 of 7 in Coalinga
Laura Lodge
Laura Lodge
#4 of 7 in Coalinga

Been to Best Western Big Country Inn? Share your experiences!