“Dump In All Respects”

Motel 6 Coalinga East
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Coalinga
Reviewed August 27, 2009

I killed over 20 Flies in my room, many of which bit me. I didn't know flies bit? The Ice Machine is Broken. The front desk clerk, poor girl is as friendly as she can be. This is a terrible property. If you have to stay in Coalinga do yourself a favor and pay the ridiculous rates that Harris Ranch gets for their rooms. I've tried Travelodge and Motel 6 and they are both among the worst hotels I've ever stayed.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Motel 6 Coalinga East

Reviewed March 21, 2008

Traveling from Oakland to Phoenix, I stayed at this motel. The cleanliness was ok, no basic amenities (like a clock). The worst part for me was the temperature control. The forcasted temp for that night was 42. The room was getting cooler as the time went by, so I turned on the heat. Wow, it got even colder. So I went to the office (which was toastie warm) and reported the problem with my heat. "Oh, well, um its going to be getting hotter in a few weeks so they have switched to the a/c" What? its 'going' to get hot. Well what about now? " Oh well see its on a central system and you can only have a/c or heat". MMMM well its pretty toasty in here. "Yeah that is because it is so cold out" I see, so the guests who are paying for the rooms get to freeze, but the staff gets to have heat. Not good not right. And Im not over it. In fact now I am sick and Motel 6 gets to answer for it. If you have to stop at this motel. Ask first whether they are on Heat or AC mode, and decide for yourself.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed November 29, 2007

Okay Motel 6. It's a budget property, efficient and polite service, moderately clean. It does need some work; the bathrooms need some touch up work with the ceilings, but for the most part, okay. The beds
were comfortable, which after a long drive, is what you need. Denny's is right next door as is Red Robin. However....

There was no air conditioning available during the day. The air treatment is either WARM (because the pipes are heated during the winter) or COLD (because the air conditioning is activated during the summer). This is a challenge because sometimes it's warm during the day and cold at night.

When you check in, you find a note taped to the front desk warning you that "These Friends of Nature may be sharing your room with you" which include flies, mosquitoes, and other insects, but thankfully not cockroaches. This makes it a challenge because unfortunately, when the room is warm, you can't open the door because said Friends of Nature are bound to come in. Unfortunately, due to the proximity of cows and cattle ranches nearby, this can't be helped. However, of the hotels we've stayed in nearby, this is the ONLY ONE honest enough to tell you this. And for that, I have to credit the management of the hotel for being truthful.

Closet space is nonexistent; there are no closets. There is only a small space under the television that will allow you to hang up shirts
or pants, but nothing long (such as a dress). Also electrical outlets were in awkward places, and there is definitely a need for a vanity in the bathroom as there is nowhere to set a hairdryer or makeup case down and Maid service is not allowed to touch your personal belongings. A vanity of some kind would be helpful.

On the Plus side: the maid service was very good, very responsive. The front desk staff was excellent; every time the keys deactivated they responded quicklly, and even allowed for an early check in. The pool was the cleanest of the properties we've stayed in in the Coalinga area (We go up to visit family). Would we stay again? Well, I'd like to find somewhere closer to town, but if I had to stay close to the I-5, I'd pick this hotel sooner than the others in the area.

The hotel is designed clearly as a "stay overnight and get back on the road Motel 6." The price is better than most, and the hotel itself is miles better than the other properties in the area. Just be aware that some things can't be helped, and due to the closeness of cattle farms, the friends of nature are going to be a problem. However, it could be resolved with the installation of air conditioning units in each room which could be adjusted by the guest, or even a screen door installation on each room. I realize that doesn't sound terribly attractive, but it would be a practical solution that would allow for more privacy than having the window open
with the curtains open.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank waya5
A TripAdvisor Member
wa.
Reviewed March 21, 2006

we sometimes have stayed at the motel 6 in Coalinga. But we will never stay there again even if we have to 200 more miles. It is filthy, what they remodeled some of the rooms with looked like they got it from the dump, the furniture that they put in the rooms were oversized and dirty. i agree the drapes were dirty also. It is a dumpppppppp. don't stay there, sleep in some of the parking lots. m&c n.

Stayed: February 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 2, 2005

This motel is located right off of I5 and has many places to eat nearby. The pool area is nice and clean. The rooms were ok but needed things like paint in some areas and patchwork in the shower ceiling. They were clean though and we had no problems with noise. The morning coffee was a bit weak and just tasted like hot water. If you are looking for a place to comfortably stay the night on your way down the road, this place is fine. I would probably not stay here for longer then a night or two though.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 13, 2005

I've stayed in a lot of motels in my life but this one has to rank at the top of the "worst" list. The room was dirty, the pillow case had stains, the central air conditioning system only blew hot air no matter how low your set the thermostat. It got so warm in the room that I checked out at 3 AM and continued my trip. I was exhausted but at least I didn't feel like I was in a sauna. This motel cured me of Motel 6's forever.

• Stayed: December 2004, traveled on business
7  Thank weatherdon
Reviewed August 11, 2004

We stayed here last week on our way from LA to northern California. Pros: cheap, allows pets for no extra fee, conveniently located off the freeway, relatively clean Cons: very loud freeway noise (ask for a room opposite the freeway), people coming and going all night long (we arrived at 1:00 AM on a Tuesday night and there were people making a lot of noise on the stairs and balconies), depressing chain motel. Next time it might be worth it to pay a few extra dollars and stay in downtown Coalinga, but this is a good choice if you're just passing through and need a place to crash.

• Stayed: August 2004
4  Thank LAcentric
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coalinga
Best Western Big Country Inn
#6 of 7 in Coalinga
Laura Lodge
Laura Lodge
#3 of 7 in Coalinga

Been to Motel 6 Coalinga East? Share your experiences!