“Nice lunch close to airport”
Review of The Old Hotel Bistro - CLOSED

The Old Hotel Bistro
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

Fancy ladies lunch place with delicious homemade potato chips. Excellent sandwiches and large selection of tea and coffees. Definitely going back to check out the desserts

Reviewed May 11, 2012

New name, Victoria Rose Restaurant. Enjoyed a couple tasty Monte Cristo sandwiches on 2 different recent visits, preceded by fresh salads with vinaigrette dressing, followed by excellent Raspberry English Trifle the first time and rich coconut cake the second visit. Immaculate 1800's detailed decor (well worth a visit to see in person), pleasant servers and clean restrooms. The server erred during my first visit and brought the wrong sandwich. The mistake was corrected without hassle. Check their website for menus and limited hours. Dinner is served only on Fridays and Saturdays. The Monte Cristo sandwiches were very good compared to those served at Disneyland's Blue Bayou Restaurant, which set the standard for perfect Monte Cristo sandwiches.

Reviewed April 15, 2012

The atmosphere of Victoria Rose was really nice. Very Victorian- like stepping back in time. We were greeted promptly and seated on the lovely front porch, so I had high expectations. Sadly, these were not met. We waited for quite a while and finally flagged down someone to ask for water. A few minutes later, someone showed up with iced tea and lemonade, but no water. It was several more minutes before she returned with the water. Another several minutes went by before we were given menus. I asked for help from the server, finding a hot tea with just tea- no herbs, no fruit. She suggested something with blueberries. I again repeated that I was looking for just the tea leaves, no fruit or herbs. She then suggested something with peach. I gave up and asked for English breakfast tea, hoping that would be ok. She brought me Earl Gray- which has bergamot so I had to send it back. By now I'm fairly frustrated! The rest of our party had their tea but it was another several minutes before I got my English breakfast tea. After what seemed like an eternity, our lunches came. We had ordered tea sandwiches, scones and a salad. The salad was average. The scones were fine but not special and the sandwiches were VERY skimpy with the fillings. I should have taken a photo but I forgot- but the one that stands out was a tiny (2"x1") sandwich with the thinnest possible slice of turkey- like those shaved meats they sell. Seriously, I get the 'tea sandwich' idea but you could at least fill it so that we can taste the filling! I also understand the 'relaxed atmosphere' but when it is due to server incompetance, it just feels like you're being ignored. I'm not likely to return unless I have all day and am not hungry!

1  Thank Cathy C
Reviewed March 30, 2012

It was a very comfortable place. The service was excellent, and friendly.

Reviewed March 21, 2012

My friend and I met at the Victoria Rose Cottage for lunch today. The interior of this lovely Victorian house has been tastefully and lavishly restored. The tables are set apart so you get a feeling of privacy. Lunch is served at a relaxed pace and allows one to savor their food without feeling like they are being rushed. The tea menu includes a huge variety of floral teas, along with Earl Grey, English breakfast and a few other pekoes. I ordered a small pot of English breakfast tea and it was served hot and came in a beautiful teapot. The menu is simple and features great salads and sandwiches. This is one place you can find a Monte Cristo and if it tastes as good as it looks, it is Fab. My friend and I both opted for the Cobb salad ($12) which came with a scallion vinegarette, generous portions of turkey and all the traditional ingredients. For dessert, I had the housemade vanilla bean cheesecake. Very tasty. My friend had the trifle with a tasty layering of sponge cake, berries and custard, topped with freshly whipped cream. I must say I was envious. When I called to make our reservation, the hostess mentioned that reservations had to be made for the English tea ($28) ahead of time. I would imagine that reservations are a must for weekend or holiday lunches. Dinner is served on Friday and Saturday nights only. No wine/beer but you can bring your own. $10 corkage fee. In spite of its name, men do eat here.