“Jackass meadows campsite”

Jackass Meadow Campground
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Clovis
Jackass Meadow Campground
South Gate, California
“Jackass meadows campsite”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We camped at jackass meadows which is at Florence lake.. Once we turned on kaiser pass rd it took us about 2 hrs on a one lane road.. There are areas where you can pull to the side so another car can pass but you are on the edge of the cliff and its scary!! We were very secluded on our campsites. Vault toilets were very clean.. I took my 3 young girls thinking it was going to be hard but they didn't mind the toilets, no bugs.. It's beautiful here.. I didn't like the fact that there were no showers!! I ended up filling 2 of the food bins I took with water, I let them warm up naturally with the sun and washed my hair that way, my girls had so much fun washing up that way.. If you like seclusion and privacy this is the place to be.. I don't think I will go back only because I have kids and if anything happened your a 2 hr drive from anything... My daughter stepped on a bee hive during a hike and was bit 6 times.. I treated her with the stuff in my 1st aid kit and Benadryl.. I was very lucky she was not allergic.. Horses/donkeys and deer visited out campsite every day.. The lake was in walking distance and awesome, just cold... There are so many good things about this place.. It's very clean and beautiful.. A ranger is onsite and very nice... Make reservations..

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Christina M

Solo
Business
Calabasas, California
Reviewed January 3, 2010

"Kaiser Pass," the road you'l come in on is an adventure unto itself. You probably won't need 4 wheel drive but it wouldn't hurt to have. The road is not well maintained and in places, gets a bit rough. Large vehicles will have a tough time squeezing past oncoming traffic. There isn't much but be prepared to back up to make room. Take your time and plan for this to maximize your enjoyment.

Once there, we found the campsites to be spacious and most had bear boxes. Firewood is available for a fee. Limited supplies can be found at Florence Lake which is about a mile from the campsites. There are no showers here. Pit toilets were adequate but many campers are unaware that doors should be kept shut for a reason - it keeps the bugs out!

We really enjoyed the spot we got and even though it was 4th of July weekend, there were still several available sites. You can also camp outside the campgrounds with the proper permits.

Florence lake is stocked often and there were lots of trout visible in the river as well. You can rent boats at the lake. Following the river lead to a few great fishing spots and the meadow is very scenic - especially when the resident horses are nearby. There horses made a few surprise appearances in the campgrounds and in our campsite in particular.

It's a great family camping spot. Be sure to plan for the ride in and pack accordingly. It's not a road you'll want to scamper back down if you forgot a few supplies. This is one camping spot we'll visit again and again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
13 Thank Actual_User
Long Beach, CA
Reviewed July 28, 2009

The road up the Kaiser Pass to get to Jacka55 Meadows (TripAdvisor considers the name of the campground as profanity so I used 5 instead of s) and Florence Lake is a bit scary, but it's worth it. The campground is shaded and some of the campsites are right on the San Joaquin River. The fishing was good as was the hiking. There aren't many services nearby, but the little store up by the boat ramp does carry ice and a small selection of food and drinks. There are pit toilets and water, but no showers. The scenery is gorgeous

Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
10 Thank jowens56
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clovis
Hilton Garden Inn Clovis
Homewood Suites by Hilton Clovis
Best Western Clovis Cole
La Quinta Inn & Suites Fresno Riverpark
Best Western Plus Fresno Airport Hotel
DoubleTree by Hilton Fresno Convention Center

Been to Jackass Meadow Campground? Share your experiences!