“Not up to Marriott standards”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Fresno Clovis
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Clovis
Sacramento, California
“Not up to Marriott standards”
Reviewed May 2, 2012

The hotel itself was surrounded by weedy, unattractive fields. The room felt barren because there was not one piece of art on the walls and there was a big patch of paint on the ceiling that didn't match the rest of the paint, looked tacky. I couldn't figure out the air conditioning system because the controls were on the wall, though there were controls (non-functioning) on the unit and no sign directing me to the controller on the opposite end of the room. The air conditioning unit was also loud. I only made it to breakfast the last half hour and they were out of eggs and I had to make due with a pre-packaged egg -in-a-pita. It was pretty bad. Last of all, the cups used for water in the room were of a very flimsy plastic, something I might expect in a Motel 6, not a Marriott. For $165, in CLOVIS, I expected a much nicer stay. Wouldn't recommend this place, unless they dropped the price by quite a lot.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
FairfieldInnandSuite, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Fresno Clovis, responded to this review, May 4, 2012
Dear Gwen H,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on Tripadvisor. I am sorry to hear about your experience while you stayed with us. I apologize for the issues that you experienced in your room with the air conditioning unit and the thermostat, our maintenance department will be making sure that all of our air conditioning units are labelled to advise guests that the thermostat to control the unit is on the entry way wall and I will provide your feedback to Marriott regarding the in room plastic cups.

I apologize also that there were no eggs left when you came down for breakfast, I will be investigating this to ensure that it does not happen again.

We are in contact with the City of Clovis regarding the weedy fields, unfortunately we don't own the land and with the economic downtown there has not been alot of land development in the area surrounding the hotel.

I believe that when you stayed with us there was very high demand for hotel rooms and therefore the price of a room was higher than usual, on weekends our rooms are usually $109 per night.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Orange County
Reviewed April 22, 2012

Everyone was very friendly and helpful. I stayed there for 3 weeks for work and "Rolinda" at the front desk, always brighten my day with her "Good Morning Ms.______" she was awesome among everybody. I would stay there again because of the great customer service I recieved.

The only thing that was bit bortheredsome was the "Room Key", it forever took me to get in the room because the key would not work.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
FairfieldInnandSuite, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Fresno Clovis, responded to this review, April 27, 2012
Dear 818love2travel,

Thank you for your review and feedback!! It's wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that Rolinda and the team gave you such great service. I appreciate the feedback regarding the room key and apologize for the inconvenience this must have caused, I will have our maintenance team look into this right away. We look forward to having you stay with us when you are next in Clovis!
San Jose, California
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Spent the weekend in Fresno at a sporting event at the SaveMart Center. Found this hotel to be real convenient, less than 4 miles away and 5 minutes. Stayed on points. Everyone here was exceptionly friendly, and went out of their way to help. Probably, one of the best Marriott properties I've stayed at, and most have been good. If there was anything I'd dock this place on, it would be the showerhead. It's the typical watersaver, but they're everywhere now.

Room Tip: We stayed in a back room, but, don't know if it matters; the hotel sits back from the road, and...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jimdo
Dear Jimdo,

Thank you for your great review and positive feedback, we are all thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our hotel is one of the best Marriott properties that you have ever stayed at!! I will be looking into options regarding the showerheads when we do our next renovation, thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Have a great day and we look forward to seeing you again when you are next in Clovis!
Reviewed March 10, 2012

First impressions matter, right? Well I liked what I seen right when I walked into the lobby area. Everything seemed bright and fresh. The decor was nice and up to date. There is fresh water with cucumber on the way to the elevator and I thought that was a very nice touch and it tastes great. There is plenty of lounging areas throughout the hotel. The room was spotless and no weird smells as I've encountered from other hotels. The bed was very comfortable and I felt it was clean enough for me to sleep without a barrier between me and the linens. It was even clean enough for me to walk around barefooted! That says a lot for me. The breakfast was very good. There's a wide range of things to choose from. the sausage, eggs and bagel was pretty good. I was surprised by that. The only problem I encountered was a baby crying loudly all night but the gave us a new room the next day. Also, they have a mormom bible which I found very strange but atleast they still have the real Bible. Overall, this stay was great and I will be happy to come back anytime.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank ImForgiven777
Ridgecrest, California
Reviewed February 19, 2012

Stayed three nights at the Fairfield Inn. Clean room. The rooms are a little on the small side- the management can't do anything about that. The staff members are very friendly and helpful. The breakfast area is nice and roomy and the food is great. We were staying in for an event in town which started early and asked for an earlier breakfast on the weekend, talked to the manager and it wasn't a problem at all. The exercise room is nice, would like to see some sort of weights. Price is a little on the high sideside, but most hotels in the area are priced on the highside.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Folsom, California
Reviewed January 15, 2012

My family stayed here over new years eve and we were very comfortable. My husband booked the room thinking it would have a separate sleeping room but it does not, it is indeed a partial separation. However this ended up not being too much of a problem.
The staff was able to provide a roll away bed which was great for my 3 year old. Decor is cute, bed is comfy.

• Stayed December 2011
FairfieldInnandSuite, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Fresno Clovis, responded to this review, February 7, 2012
Dear Lori H,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us over the new year and that you liked our green tea decor package and that the bed was comfortable. We look forward to having you stay with us again when you are next in Clovis!

Have a great day!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed December 9, 2011

I spend a reasonable amount of time on the road and away from home. It's nice to visit a place where people seem to really care. From the second day I started staying at the Fairfield Inn & Suites in Clovis Rolinda remember my name. I remember heading down stairs to leave, rounding the corner and hearing, "Good morning, Mr. Case." I was kind of looking around thinking who is greeting me. Embarrassingly "Linda" (Rolinda) remembered my name consistently while I continued to struggle with hers. When I visit Rolinda consistently proves herself to be kind, competent, and goes out of her way to make sure my experience is a memorable one.

I would like to thank Rolinda and the Fairfeild, Clovis for treating me and the other guest so well. Thanks you!

Ryan Case

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Dear Ryan C,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor and share your experience with others. I am ecstatic to hear that Rolinda has done such a great job taking care of you and will be sure to recognize her wonderful service. We look forward to seeing you again when you are next in Clovis!

Thank you and have a great day!