“Don't. Just don't.”

Hamburger Ranch & Bar-B-Que
Ranked #1 of 32 Restaurants in Cloverdale
Reviewed May 13, 2019

Roadside places like this can get away with being pretty substandard when they're the only option visible for desperate travelers. There's an attempt at the roadside traveler charm with faded postcards from far-flung visitors, but the place is really threadbare and the food isn't good. Most of the other customers were off-putting gross hicks even though the restaurant is trying to keep a welcoming vibe.

I could forgive a bit more if this place had counter service ordering. I had the most clueless and incompetent waiter I've ever had. You should have at least eaten at a restaurant before in order to be qualified to wait a table.

My brisket had no smoke ring and was obviously not smoked. The outside of it was blackened like grilled tri-tip and then it was clearly finished in the oven. Mac and cheese was indistinguishable from Kraft white cheddar mac-n-cheese. Iced tea was from institutional concentrate. My wife's veggie burger was a basic frozen garden burger which she doesn't mind but I don't know about other vegetarians. Onion rings seemed handmade and were fine.

Don't let a monopoly roadhouse hold you hostage because you need a restroom. There are other options a mile or so into Cloverdale on the same road that runs parallel to 101 but isn't visible from the freeway. Hamburger Ranch isn't good by any stretch. Driving through Cloverdale, it seems like a nice town these days so don't let this horrible dive color your impression. There are better options including ANOTHER barbecue place just up the road.

Date of visit: May 2019

Reviewed April 19, 2019 via mobile

We stopped here on our way from the Mendocino Coast back to the bay area. Happened to be right by the highway entrance and it looked interesting. We had wonderful pulled pork and a homemade pastrami sandwich. Which was also homemade and smoked. They were very nice to our dogs as we had to sit out on their patio. Yes the place is rustic but the barbecue was excellent. Check it out when you’re in the neighborhood. Service was friendly

Date of visit: April 2019
Reviewed January 15, 2019

I am a KCBS judge. I ordered the pulled pork and brisket platter with coleslaw and black eyed peas for sides. The pork was moist and had a great taste. The brisket had a nice taste and was properly done, but was a bit dry. The black eyed peas were the best I have ever had. There were three sauces on the table. All three were very good and did not over power the meat. I would like to go back and try another bbq plate.

Date of visit: December 2018
Reviewed December 15, 2018 via mobile

We have been coming here for at least 15 years ....... on our way from Oregon to Bay Area..... We have told so many People to eat there. Today’s meal was by far the worst and it breaks my heart .....it wasn’t great a few months ago but I gave it another shot ....
1) waitress was too busy eating as she served us ..... gross
2) Full rack was my usual order.... 2 sides
My rack was pre cut.... and they served me 8 ribs ...... half rack for full rack price .. ribs were yesterday’s ribs and not good......
Too bad I paid full price and didn’t say anything.... None of the workers looked
The usual .... maybe it sold ???
Sorry... I had been waiting all day from Oregon ..... ugh

Date of visit: December 2018
Reviewed November 6, 2018

After a long hiatus we thought it would be great to revisit the Hamburger Ranch. Upon arrival we met some visitors who reseated themselves outside because the restaurant was "too cold". Since we intended to sit outside anyway, this wasn't a big deal. However, the HR & BBQ has added some heavy screening to (most of) their outside tables, so the vibe has changed from outdoor to dimly lit -- not so inviting. We decided to forgo a renewed dining experience here in favor of another local favorite.

I'm guessing that the screens are a health code requirement; perhaps more conventional lightweight screen would be better than the heavy sunscreen material that is currently in use.

Date of visit: November 2018