“In Country Getaway”

Auberge on the Vineyard
Ranked #4 of 4 Cloverdale B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights in Mid-October. It was a wonderful getaway, as the vineyards were in full swing being that it was harvest. We stayed in the Vouvray room which overlooked the vineyard and was very scenic. The room was acceptable and would rate it a 3.5 out of 5, as it needed some additional TLC in the bathroom and wash area. The overall experience was very good , as the host was very accomodating, had an excellent breakfast and very clean. We also met some very friendly people that were staying at the Inn. The location was very accessible to the vineyards in the Alexander Valley, Sonoma Coast, Dry Creek Valley and Russian River Valleys. Also, only 15-20 minute drive to Healdsburg which is a wonderful and fun town with great restaurants, shops and tasting rooms, not to mention it's country feel. Overall a very good experience and friendly atmosophere.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

This place met our needs. However, we have stayed twice at the Vintage Towers in downtown Cloverdale and prefer that B and B. Here's why. The Auberge is in a nice setting overlooking vineyards, this is true. However, our room (Lorraine) is on a busy highway corner, and the traffic noise was significant. Also, if you are sitting on the porch (which is lovely) you're going to hear the noise there too. But really the worst was that the hostess never gave us the time of day. We checked in at 9:00 p.m., and our keys were hanging on the door. We didn't have breakfast on Saturday because we were cycling the Asti Tour de Vines. When we returned in the afternoon, the hostess saw us, but did not introduce herself, greet us, or welcome us in any way. Instead, she sat down with another couple and was drinking wine with them. I thought maybe there was a happy hour corner I had missed and was looking around the main floor. She finally said, "Can I help you?" I said, "yes, I was wondering if there was a happy hour?" "No," she said. ""I'm just having some wine here with my friends." Oh, so that's how it is. (Lots of other B and Bs we have stayed at offer complimentary happy hour wine). And that was it. No, "Hi, I'm so and so, how was the ride? Is your room okay?" Nothing! At breakfast, she gave us a blank look and seemed frazzled because she didn't know if the other couple we were with were going to be joining us for breakfast. That was the extent of our conversation. I normally don't ever complain about service because I'm pretty low maintenance on that front - but this was really bordering on rude. As for the rooms - meh. Our room was okay, just a bit noisy. Bathroom was across the hall - huge, with a lovely view of the vineyards, but primitive handheld shower in a claw foot tub - a bit awkward. The room below us where our friends stayed (Margeaux?) was worse - postage stamp sized and I think pretty much the same price.

1  Thank MarleenLee
RoxanneatAuberge, Owner at Auberge on the Vineyard, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2013

Before I even met the group with whom this woman was traveling, I was already torqued. They left early on Saturday morning to participate in the Asti Tour de Vine bike race, and neglected to let us know that no one in their party would be joining us for breakfast. We prepped, cooked, served and cleaned up the unused place settings, coffee, juice, etc., and threw away the wasted food.

And so, when I first came upon them that afternoon after the race, “indifference” was the best I could muster given the circumstances. And, as I looked around at their scowling faces, not for a second did it occur to me that they were angry about not being offered breakfast, particularly given that the sponsors of the Asti Tour de Vine are known all over the state for the lavish breakfast buffets offered before AND after the race!

You never get a second chance at a first impression, and this relationship was over before it began. They hated me and I hated them. And… as is the case when people I dislike come through here, I started counting the hours until they checked out.

The reviewer complains about not being offered wine after she spotted me sitting with friends having a glass of wine. Hmmmm. I guess that means that I can’t socialize in my own home with friends without running the risk of being lambasted for my lack of hospitality skills. We neither offer nor advertise a Happy Hour here; why should she expect one?

As for the reasons WHY we don’t offer a Happy Hour here, there are 2.

# 1-- the lion’s share of our guests come back to the inn after a day of wine tasting and the LAST thing they want is more wine. They want naps…… not wine! We used to serve wine in the afternoons. It sat around in the bottles and went bad.
#2—My business partner is a sommelier. She REFUSES to serve mediocre wine, so to add a daily Happy Hour here means that I have to find another $18,000 to $20,000 to cover the cost of that, and frankly, I’d like to take home a paycheck or two before we blow 20 grand on wine that goes to waste.

The issue of noise in the Lorraine Room has been addressed in other Trip Advisor reviews, and we have done our best to mitigate street noise, but yes, this room sits on a busy intersection on the main road that goes through the Alexander Valley. This bike race falls during harvest time here in wine country. It’s spectacularly beautiful here at that time of year but….. it is also the BUSIEST time of year and daytime traffic is expected.

As I said, you never get a second chance at a first impression. In the end, I wish this woman would have informed us that her party would not be here for breakfast. It set a chain of events in motion that had a negative impact not only on her weekend and that of her friends, but also that of the other guests staying here, the staff. And of course, on me…..

Reviewed October 19, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights in mid april '13. Had booked ahead with a discounted rate through (then) Snique Away, now Jetsetter. We were pleased with the setting, our room on the second floor of the building next to the main house, looking right at the orchard. Since it was spring there wasn't anything going on in the vineyard, but surprisingly the second morning a small crew came to work trimming the vines we guessed. On delightful full deck to have our coffee, then we brought back cheeses, bread and wine (of course!) for our evening meal.
The owner and her crew made us wonderful breakfasts. The owner was very helpful in recommendations for local wineries. Big Dog Winery, on the mountain top nearby was very welcoming and generous, offering food with our tastings.
A good time at this B&B.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 18, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the Auberge on the Vineyard last week for our 15th wedding anniversary. The 3 course breakfasts were amazing! The ladies who took care of us were so pleasant and you could tell they enjoyed their jobs. It was a nice escape from the busy day to day we are used to. We enjoyed visiting wineries in both Napa and Sonoma from this location. Only negative was the street traffic of the harvest vehicles early in the morning. We enjoyed walking the vineyard and area around the property before breakfast each morning. Would stay again.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Everything about our recent stay was a pleasant surprise! From the moment we spotted the Inn at the top of a knoll overlooking the vineyards of Alexander Valley, we knew we were in for a treat. We had our doubts about Cloverdale at first but could not find anything with our price point that we liked in Healdsburg. This town was just minutes from all of the wineries and restaurants and felt like we had gone deep into the country for our overnight. We actually had a delicious and relaxed dinner in town at Piacere and were back in our spacious room in less than 5 minutes. The touches of a Keurig maker in the room and complimentary soda and water in the kitchenette were a nice surprise when we realized we had forgotten to stop at the store. But the best part was breakfast. We are usually not big eaters in the morning but could not help ourselves. We oohed and aahed with the other guests through all three courses and did not eat again until dinner that day. What a treat! We'll be back. Maybe even to steal away another cozy night this winter.

Room Tip: Suites with a view are worth the extra coin.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
RoxanneatAuberge, Owner at Auberge on the Vineyard, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2013

High praise from these guests, who live in Napa, and are both food and wine connoisseurs. Hubby is the Food and Beverage manager for a private club, too! Whenever a chef stays here, I always worry about the food a little bit more than usual..... I do not have professional culinary training, but I have been in the kitchen whipping up yummy stuff since I was 5 years old. No kidding--I was 5 when mommy set a stool by the counter for me to stand on and she taught me how to cook.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

We were unexpectedly in Sonoma. While I wanted to stay near Healdsburg, every place I called was full. Knowing Cloverdale was close by, I called Auberge on the Vineyard. The owner was very helpful in recommending a room. What we loved: the people staying there, the peace and quiet, the views for the porch, dessert for breakfast, the warmth of the staff. What we did not: room backed on to a fairly busy road considering it was out in the country, staff not too informed about the area. The owner was not there. I think they are working very hard to give people a laid back experience in the wine country.

Room Tip: Ask if the room is close to the back road.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 7, 2013

This charming place was mostly as we hoped and as advertised. A lovely old Victorian house (with additions rooms in a separate carriage house), it provided a wonderful "base camp" for an extended weekend in wine country. Every evening we would sit on the deck with a bottle of whatever we liked best that day and that day's cookies de jour and watch the sun set over the eponymous vineyard.

The three-course breakfasts were outstanding, if more abundant than some of our party was used to! Bedrooms and bathrooms were clean and well apportioned, with amenities including robes, hair dryers, ironing boards, and toiletries. A small park with a multi-use trail along the nearby Russian River was a welcome find, giving us an opportunity to run a few miles to work off some of the calories we consumed.

The only things keeping us from a five star rating were a couple of unexpected disappointments. The first was that the inn, despite its spectacular views in one direction, is located on a corner of a merging of two highly traveled roads that until late in the evening were rather noisy. Our room in particular (Lorraine) was right on top of this corner. This made for a less than restful afternoon nap considering that we were off the trail and out of the towns. We found no other mention of this in any other reviews. But we were not the only guests to notice this, it was a topic at breakfast.
A second disappointment was that the innkeeper informed us upon our arrival that she was to be gone for the duration of our stay. Now we certainly understand the proprietor cannot be on site 24-7 but in other stays at B&Bs if a host was to be unavailable there would always be a point of contact in their place. We were not introduced to any staff that might be of assistance for local information, touring advice or emergency. The wonderful ladies who prepared breakfast were lovely and hospitable but did not seem to substitute as host in the way one would hope to have at a B&B of this quality.
Lastly, and this may not be a deal breaker for most travelers attempting to get away from it all, the four members of our party struggled to get reliable internet service.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank JRivera127

I'm happy that this reviewer enjoyed their stay at Auberge on the Vineyard, but sorry to hear that the visit was a bit marred by my absence. I'm not sure this reviewer considered the challenges of owning and operate a small business such as this. We are open 365 days a year, and we have only 7 rooms. As such, we can certainly not afford to hire a concierge to take over my duties during those rare moments when I am able to get off property.

Thankfully we have a fabulous staff (albeit small) here, and things typically run very smoothly when I am away. We have plenty of resources available to guests who would like some ideas about places to visit in the area. In addition to our website which offers an "Attractions" page with hundreds of links to wineries, restaurants, and such in the area, we also include information on our local favorites at check-in, together with our tasting pass and area map. This is precisely the same information that I provide to guests when queried about area restaurants and attractions.

Sadly, our internet service has been a bit problematic of late, due to the fact that, once again, a guest has absonded with our expander. And, once again, I've had to hire a computer consultant to come back out to the inn to replace the stolen equipment. Had the expander been in place, the internet service would have functioned much better. And, while the "buck stops here" so to speak, and the two issues of mentioned in this review are ultimately my responsibility, I WILL be taking vacations from time to time and someone WILL probably come along and rip off another expander. I can live with that and I hope you, the reader, can too.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cloverdale
Best Western Dry Creek Inn
Kelley & Young Wine Garden Inn
Old Crocker Inn
Old Crocker Inn
#3 of 4 in Cloverdale

Been to Auberge on the Vineyard? Share your experiences!