“Dirty!”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Clearlake
Dublin, California
“Dirty!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2009

We traveled to Clearlake to spend some holiday time with my mother inlaw. We stayed one night at this hotel. I did not want to go to sleep for fear of cock roches crawling on me. The floor was filthy. There were cob webs through out the room. The bath tub was dirty. There were no complimetary soaps, lotions, etc. The sheets had worn spots on them. The walls had plaster patch marks. Why did I stay? This is the only hotel to my knowlege in Clearlake and we had traveled four hours already. Would not do it again. I will camp on the side of the road first.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Kauai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2009

We stayed here on a Sat. night. The hotel was pretty full. The room was clean, wireless worked, coffee pot worked. More coffee in the lobby with real cream. Very important to me! Although there was a noisy party going on we weren't bothered if our door was shut. The parking lot was pretty full, but I think it was from the party folks, cause it was empty in the morning.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
SF Bay Area
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2008

A friend and I stayed at the El Grande while doing a weekend motorcycle trip.

We found the hotel to be comfortable, perfectly located for our weekend plans, and reasonably priced.

Room amenities were all fine -- the beds were comfortable, the shower had good water pressure, the carpets were clean, etc.

We had a fun conversation with the woman who runs the lounge; we were the only customers and she chitchatted with us for a little bit. She's very funny and nice!

The restaurant has a decent dinner (the potato skins were unexpectedly fantastic and the beer selection is good) but breakfast was only so-so. Serving better coffee would go a long way!

I would stay here again (and probably will on future motorcycle trips in the area).

Stayed November 2008
Edmonton, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2008

The property itself is a nice property. The rooms are tastefully decorated and it has a nice atmosphere. The location is okay. However, the manager was so incredibly rude, not only to me but to the Best Western customer care person who spoke with her on my behalf as well. I wouldn't recommend this hotel if it was the last one available. As well, during this experience, it was brought to my attention by their customer care center that Best Western has no control and will not do anything about poor service or quality given by their "Independently Owned" properties. You might make a reservation on their company website, you might think you are reserving a Best Western property, but that isn't the case. They are basically independent properties using the Best Western name and it is at the discretion of that individual property or "Independent Owner" as to how you will be treated or what you will receive and Best Western will do nothing if it isn't right. There are a lot of hotels out there that uphold a standard throughout their system, I would rather stay with one of them. Not only will I not stay at this property, but I will never use Best Western again. To me service is #1, and that is a rarity in this day.

• Liked — atmosphere
  • Disliked — customer service is terrible
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk

Travelers are raving about these Clearlake hotels

Northern California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2007

Clearlake is a challenging town to find a place to stay in the summer and this place came as a recommendation. All I can say is this is a place to avoid. Making the reservation seemed to be an inconvenience for the hotel staff. Everything about the experience was difficult. As with another review here, I was incorrectly charged on my credit card and am finding it very difficult to get a correction. The hotel staff have a different story each time I speak with them and the "owner" is nowhere to be found. I would say pass this place by. It's like a black hole.

Stayed July 2007
1 Thank Travelor68
San Jose, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2007

The hotel is ok. Room was ok, staff great. However, they billed me for 2 nights when I only stayed one (reservation was screwed up as well). It's been over 10 days, and despite repeated promises from the hotel, my cc has still not been credited for the second night's stay.

Stay here again? Not a chance. BTW, other reviews on this website re the hotel itself are accurate.

Stayed August 2007
1 Thank rache70196
santa paula
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2007

My husband and I just returned from a weekend trip to clearlake, for what was suppoosed to be relaxing. We usually trust BW so we decided to stay here. The only good experience we had was that the front desk personnel was very friendly. Parking was an issue, especially at check-in, where we couldn't get a spot due to employees and the bar patrons. When we asked about the safety of our car in the back parking lot- the long hesitation and the response of "probably" didn't sit well with us. The room was clean and spacious (perfect forthe price), the problems were the result of everything else surrounding the room. We arrived at 5 to find the bar and lobby packed with drunk people. If you stay here, check to see if any events are going on in the banquet rooms at night. The banquet rooms are left open, so all of the noise fills the interior atrium. The banquet rooms were set up with a dj which played until about midnight. The party filled the hotel- people were running around all night yelling, screaming, fighting, puking in the elevator, etc. When they finally left- the party continued out into the hot tub area and the parking lot. We finally fell asleep around 3am when we heard the last beer bottle being thrown. Next time I would drive further on to Middletown or Lakeport for a hotel.

• Liked — Clean room
  • Disliked — Noise, parking, location
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank algaegirl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clearlake
Clear Lake Cottages & Marina
#1 of 3 in Upper Lake
Rodeway Inn & Suites
Rodeway Inn & Suites
#1 of 7 in Lakeport

Been to BEST WESTERN El Grande Inn? Share your experiences!