“Nice stay, has been a great hotel in its day”

Best Western El Grande Inn
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Clearlake
New South Wales, Australia
“Nice stay, has been a great hotel in its day”
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We stopped over here on a whim in April travelling across to the Pacific Coast. We chose this place based on the Best Western name and because it appeared the best of the bunch. The hotel has obviously been very elegant in its day but is starting to show its age. That said the room was comfortable and we ate at the restaurant which was reasonably priced and served a decent meal with friendly staff. The indoor pool looks like a bonus and there is plenty of space in the indoor lounges and dining areas.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank CoffsFamily

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed July 17, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 2 days in mid July for a 102 mile bicycle ride. I give this hotel a strong recommendation if you decide to stay in Clearlake. If I returned to this area, I would likely stay in Lakeport since they have more of a developed tourism infrastructure there.

Below are my specific comments of the hotel:
Positive:
1) The room was pretty large and the bed was of decent quality
2) I only paid $100 a night for a suite
3) The staff was extremely amiable and professional
4) The staff was accommodating by allowing me to keep my bicycle ($8,000 value) in the room
5) They provided me with a safety deposit box to lock up my values during the day
6) Easy and free parking.
7) The hotel has a computer with internet access and laser printer that guests may use
8) The room was very clean.

Negatives:
1) The toilet overflowed. I thought that I should have been provided with some compensation for going through that experience at their hotel, but they refused
2) The hotel did not have a detailed map of the area.
3) Old and small TV
4) The lobby computer had a slow internet connection

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Lodi, CA
Reviewed June 20, 2011

Better or worst.
After a very hard week at work, I wanted to get out of town for a couple of days. I had my wife book a room there being that it had an indoor pool and hot tub. So we drove 3 hours to get there. And then we were told the pool and hot tub were closed for repairs. It's in the 90's and the pool is closed!! Should of mentioned that to us over the phone. I almost cancelled but then she said she would take $15 off the price. Well ok, we stayed.
I wish we did cancel and went to the Travel Lodge around the corner. Our room was Ok. A view of the parking lot, Old syle TV(surprised it had a working remote), fridge, microwave, hairdryer with a big hair stuck in it, AND A VERY LOUD A/C UNIT!
The place and it's staff were nice. The restaurant was trying to be a 5 star with 2 star ingredients. Good, but not as good as it could be for the price.
The neighborhood looks like it has seen better days too. Not a very high class of people walking around it.
We'll probably stay in Lakeport the next time we're in the area at an accual lakeside property.

Room Tip: Make sure all ammenities are working
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed June 3, 2011

My family and I stayed at El Grande Inn in Clearlake California and it was a wonderful stay. The rooms are cozy and clean. The bed was comfy and the linen in great shape. The employee's where very friendly and helpful. Would recomend this place to everyone!!!!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank mizz_joanie
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed June 3, 2011

I stayed at the Best Western El Grande Inn With my family last month and we had a fantastic time. They have a beautiful Hotel with wonderful staff! They have an on site restaurant and Lounge. The food was delicious, and the wait staff were exceptional. I fully recommend this Hotel to anyone staying in the Lake County area!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Oahu, Hawaii
Reviewed May 28, 2011

This hotel has shown signs of aging. I stayed here for 3 months, and I have witnessed the aging process. It constantly needed maintenance and there were always numerous problems involving the heater and air conditioner. Either the heater was off during one of the coldest nights (it kept me up all night then I was able to crawl out of bed, the thermometer read 53 degrees!) or the air conditioner was off when the temperature peaked into the 80s outside. There were also problems with the water pressure and temperature; several mornings I woke up with no heated water and the low water pressure caused me longer showers in double time. Not to mention most of the front desk staff were quite rude and unprofessional. They seemed to be always playing games in the computer that they did not even recognize or greet guests who came in and out of the entrance. I even saw one staff walking out of one of the hotel rooms and admitted she was watching TV in the room while new customers were waiting for her at the front desk to check in. I was going to give this review a one star, but one particular front desk staff, Jennifer, has saved the day. She has always gone out of her way to help me and other guests. I have seen her constantly busy walking around the facility, knocking on rooms to bring items, and had been respectful and light-hearted to customers. She had never forgotten my name, and I am surprised to see her addressed customers by their first name. How can she remember? I think that this Best Western could use more staff like Jennifer. By the way, for the 3-month period I stayed at this hotel, I was not granted my points. I called the 800 number who told me that points do depend on the hotel to grant it, and this particular hotel denied me points for my 3-month of stay stating because my rates were discounted in prices. I did not know this specific policy exist. I travel for work, and I have stayed in lots of hotels from east to west coast. They all have granted me points for stay without any problem even when I had discounted corporate rates from my company. This is the first time points were not granted for my stay and it happened at this Best Western hotel. Please be careful of their points reward system; it is a big scam. Jennifer, thank you for making my Best Western stay at least a little doable.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Clearlake hotels

Kamloops, Canada
Reviewed February 20, 2011

Very nice layout with big central court. Neighborhood is run down with dumpster-divers outside our room. Ants found a discarded apple core which was disconcerting. Breakfast was not included and was expensive and un-appetizing at the restaurant.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mylesclough
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clearlake
Clear Lake Cottages & Marina
#1 of 3 in Upper Lake
Rodeway Inn & Suites
Rodeway Inn & Suites
#1 of 7 in Lakeport

Been to Best Western El Grande Inn? Share your experiences!