“Cute cottages right on the water”

Clear Lake Cottages & Marina
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Clearlake
San Rafael, CA
“Cute cottages right on the water”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

As we drove thru the run-down town of Clear Lake (and having passed several grungy, sad cottage places), we were wondering what we got ourselves into with a stay at the Clear Lake Cottages. Imagine our delight and surprise wehn we pulled into an immaculate and landscaped parking lot for the Clear Lake Cottages! The place is a jewel, the staff very accommodating and the water views soothing.

Our room (#16) was steps from the water. It was very spacious and clean, and the bed was comfy.

I took one star off because the pool has solar heating that didn't seem to do much (way too cold for ME), and there is no jacuzzi. Also, the tv in our room was miles away from the bed --- hard for us to watch in comfort. But those are minor details and I will definitely return when we want a relaxing get-away.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank tg94901
KilaProperties, Manager at Clear Lake Cottages & Marina, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
We are so happy you enjoyed your visit and your cottage! Cottage 16 is one of our most popular studio cottages because of it's great location.

During most years we wait until Memorial Day weekend to open the pool because the weather is warmer, however because of the overwhelming pleas from our guests to open the pool early, we obliged. The water is a comfortable 82 degrees today. Hopefully we can see you again this summer!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Novato, California
Reviewed May 12, 2014

Hey, if you are coming to Clearlake to find things to do, places to go and excitement, get over it. This is not the destination for you.

Why do my wife and I love this place? In part is because we love Cottage #27 right on the water. In part it is because this is a sleepy little town and that means it is more quiet than the some of the other more frequented area towns.

If you want peace and quiet and good accommodations at a fair price and a place to enjoy peace and quiet, this is it.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TheBlum
Thank you for Staying we us again! I am so happy you enjoyed your stay in 27!
Reviewed May 8, 2014

This place caught my attention on a Groupon deal, so we tried it out with our family. Our cottage was beautifully facing the lake view, was clean, and staff very friendly. This was intended to be a first-time fishing trip for our little ones. Unfortunately, the famous fishing lake produced no fish on our trip (due to our novice fishing). We stayed at the resort the entire two days as there is nothing to do or see in town. There was no foul smell of algae on our visit, but the lawn area was full of dog poop which no one seems to care about. Sad to say, but this will be our one & only trip to Clear Lake. Very disappointing.....

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank doccao
Thank you for visiting Clearlake and allowing us to be apart of your trip! I am happy you enjoyed your cottage and our staff. We have lovely views of Clearlake and the cottage you stayed in is a favorite. After reading your review I immediately went out to our lawns to inspect them. During the spring time we have 15-20 geese that love to enjoy our lawns and with their beauty and awe can come a mess for our staff to clean. I am sorry if we were not more attentive during your visit and want to assure you we care and have been and will continue to be diligent in the future in making sure all is perfect for our guests.

Clearlake has much to offer families and I am sorry that you felt there was not much to do. In addition to our resort where you can BBQ, kayak, swim in both the lake and pool, fish, play horseshoes, ladder ball and various lawn games, the community and surrounding areas also offer parks with playgrounds, hiking trails, guided fishing tours, wine tasting, boat rentals, miniature golf, and movie theaters. Lake county also has many activities for children and/or adults such as fairs, bird watching, horse back riding, plays and festivals. Also, in each cottage we provide a wonderful magazine which lists all activities, parks, restaurants and information about Lake County.

I do hope that you will visit us again! I would be happy to arrange a guided fishing tour for you or provide you with access to local fishing tips.
Richmond, Texas
Reviewed April 7, 2014

I haven't lived in Clearlake since 1994 and I was dreading staying in the city. When visiting we had usually stayed in Santa Rosa. This time a family emergency brought me home and I needed to be close. I searched online and asked some local friends. This was the only place recommended and I was so pleased. The cottage (19) was very clean. VERY CLEAN! It was quiet and peaceful and safe. The bed was super comfy and the staff was great. I will definitely be staying there in the future!

Room Tip: On their website you can see photos of each room....entering my room, I thought the photo could have...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank MarilynnBowers
Troy, Illinois
Reviewed March 14, 2014

The Good: Clearlake Resorts and Marina is a charming place. The grounds are impeccable and the rooms are comfortable in a "less is more" kind of way. This facility appears fresh as it had a MAJOR restoration a few years ago. The staff could not have been nicer or more accommodating (For example, we had a mechanical problem with our Hertz rental car which they helped us in resolving).

As before mentioned, this facility was renovated and the owners obviously put a LOT of money and time into remaking the Clearlake Cottages and Marina. This property is pristine and the entire package is simply a pleasant lodging experience. The rooms are very clean (I'm a stickler) with a decor both relaxing and cheerful. Even though our "double-double" cabin (#22) was near the street, it was reasonably quiet with outside noise a minimum. Others have suggested requesting a cabin near the lake for the quiet, but for us it was not an issue. Besides, every cabin is somewhat "near the lake" and a morning walk around the grounds with the morning coffee proved a nice start to the day.

Overall, I have no complaints. But I will point out that these are cottages and thus you should not expect a luxurious and large bathroom. Our #22, and probably others, was equipped with the common arrangement of commode and the standard tub/shower combination enclosure in the bathroom. A little plain? Perhaps, but it was CLEAN and ADEQUATE. The modern double sinks (nice touch) and vanity were cornered in the main room not unlike many newer hotels. Quality toiletries and hair dryer provided.

Down the street is the "Main Street Bar and Grille" which has a 10% guest discount arrangement with the Clearlake Cottages and Marina. Great local place, more of a casual restaurant than a bar. The old time locals obviously like it and they serve an AWESOME breakfast which is available all day (try the "Hobo" special. I had it two days in a row and find myself craving it as I write this). And if you like an occasional donut (or two or three), do try "Castle Donuts" which is also nearby. They offer TASTY "local" donuts.

We road tripped out of Clearlake to the redwood forest areas to the north and found the location perfect, especially with Napa Valley as our south destination upon leaving. Less than an hour and a half drive from the Sacramento International Airport, Clearlake proved an ideal base location for exploring a beautiful and too often overlooked area of California.

Now, the bad: Clearlake, as a town, has obviously seen better days. The changing demographics now consist of many "residents" seemingly content to exist on the generous California public assistance (as reported by more than one local). Thus, a weak tax base appears evident by the of lack of adequate sidewalks, unkempt parks and many streets which need some attention.

However, EVERYONE we encountered in the community of Clearlake was friendly and courteous to us obvious visitors. There was no excessive litter and I saw very little graffiti. I was traveling with my elderly mother and neither of us ever felt uncomfortable or in danger. In my experience, although the town appears tired and and offers little entertainment, Clearlake proved a good destination due to location and the natural beauty of its' surroundings.

Overall, I rate the Clearlake Cottages and Marina highly as it provided a pleasant experience and I hope to visit again.

Room Tip: Lakesides are desirable if available.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank D L
Lodi, California
Reviewed March 10, 2014

The Clear Lake Cottages & Marina were very nice but their is nothing to do in Clear Lake! If you plan on staying in the cottages during your entire stay than I would recommend this location but if you want to do something during the day or evening then go somewhere else....very disappointing. The surrounding area is high poverty not a place you would want to walk around. No good restuartants.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Janet01234
Astoria, Oregon
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

Upon arriving, we were warmly greeted by the staff and given a tour to show us where everything was. The room was clean, comfortable and quiet. Our dog was greeted with open arms and provided with treats, a bed and a set of dog dishes. The grounds were well kept and the lake views beautiful. Highly recommend this place!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clearlake
Vista del Lago Lakehouse and Cottages
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites
Tallman Hotel
Tallman Hotel
#1 of 3 in Upper Lake

Been to Clear Lake Cottages & Marina? Share your experiences!