“Very comfortable”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Clearlake
Damascus, Maryland
“Very comfortable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2012

This plce is exactly as described. It is recently renovated, very clean and comfortable.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ralawren

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2012

This little 'diamond in the rough" is a fabulous place to relax by the lake with your dogs. I spent 3 days/nights here with my 2 dogs and we had a wonderful time. From the moment we checked in I knew this place was top notch. My dogs were welcomed with freshly laundered doggie beds and towels, treats, food dishes and a roll of poop bags!!!! My upscale decorated cottage was steps from a little beach and a large green area for the pups to run. From the spa like bathroom ammenities presented on a lovely glass tray to the regular and decaf coffee in glass canisters, the room was immaculate. The only thing missing was the massage therapist! I mentioned this to Heather, the lovely manager and she decided to look into having a therapist available for in room treatments. A visit to these cottages is highly recommended!!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Franny F
Clearlake Oaks, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2012

I actually live witin 10mins of Clearlake Cottages-but it was sooooooo nice I wanted to bring my daughter for a special "vacation"! I highly suggest you stay here FIRST before anywhere else~ the staff and grounds are superb!!!! Thanks!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank DBARRON42
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2012

The service is amazing! You are in a small town and feel it as soon as you walk into the check in area. There are cookies, and sun brewed tea, and movies you can check out. You are walked to your little cottage, given a quick run down of where things are and left on your own. The view from 16 is perfect. The patio/deck is great. There is shade and sun and a view of the water. The kitchen supplies for the non kitchen rooms, like 16 where just enough to function for one person. The frig kept everything beyond cold and I packed it full.
Although this was a business trip, I was able to enjoy lunch at the BBQ area, walk around the green area by the water and I was able to sip coffee on the patio. I had a corporate discount rate so I am not sure what the normal price is but it was great for the amount of space, service, and privacy I got. The room is huges with a large TV and a bed that is pretty comfortable. I would stay here again and have told everyone who has to come here for work to stay here. The service, the view, the quailty of the room, and the price can not be beat. Hopefully you will have as great of a time as I did.

Room Tip: Get a room close to the water, away from the street
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank TK0071234
Truckee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2012

First off, the actual property. The outside could use a touch of paint, but was a million times nicer than the surrounding properties.

We first checked in to cabin 13. It was three away from the road, way too close to enjoy the cute little porch. Upon entry, it appeared clean, although had a little bit of an 'off' smell. They had placed a large clean dog bed, food/water bowls with place mat, a towel for drying paws, a frisbee, and three milkbone cookies (pretty stale). It was thoughtful to actually get something for the $20/night pet fee. So I said "appeared" clean. The toilet harbored a giant bowl of poo stew. Upon mentioning it to the front desk, the gal said that the two girls up front cleaned all the rooms and she definitely did not use the toilet afterwards, so must have been her cohort. Hmmn...

So we were moved to cabin 25. Further away from the road and partial lakeview. No porch though. Overall, seemed clean (same smell as 13), although when I wiped a spill of water from my dog's bowl off the floor, the towel came back very dirty. My guess is the floors are not mopped on a regular basis. The bathroom only had a single wide shower stall, the kind you bump your head on the walls if you drop the soap. The fridge was larger than your standard hotel mini fridge, and had a nice little freezer. The coffee grounds were kept in refillable glass containers. I'm first in line for conservation, but it doesn't seem sanitary to have food items not sealed in a hotel situation. The small TV was a good distance (maybe 20 feet) from where your head was in bed and had questionable reception - a bit grainy. Upon checkout we found out that they had a dvd player and movies you could check out from the front desk. We would have definitely done so had we known. The bed was a bit soft for my taste, but I generally like a firm mattress. The linens were above average, but not luxury. Comfortable bedding.

As for the rest of the property, the pool is pretty small. We didn't spend any time there. There is a large propane grill any guest can use. There were small picnic tables with charcoal grills lining the waterfront. The boat launch is nice, but single wide. I'm not sure how wide of a boat you would want to finagle. The marina slips were very nice, new, trex dec, on piers to adjust to water level. There was a large, flat lawn area with a big shade tree right at the water. And then the 'beach.' Maybe 30' wide to be generous? A mix of rock and sand ended up looking dirty. Which brings me to the water. I thought, hey, it just looks like a little bit of debris washed up on shore. I grew up with eutrophic lakes. It doesn't scare me to have murky water with a little bit of organic debris from waves at shore. Keep in mind that this was NOT during an algal bloom. So I took my dog for a swim. It's 90 some odd degrees, right? He came with a slime worked into his coat that was so firmly stuck it didn't fully come off with firm, repetitive toweling. Then he started itching. Ok, bath time. And note to self that there will be no swimming in the lake.

Since we didn't have a kitchen, we drove into town to eat. The surrounding area is a sea of meth heads, teen moms smoking while taking the baby out for a stroll, and the occasional person kicking their dog while out for a walk and senior citizen. We counted 3 rehab clinics on our way to Safeway. We saw 3 rummage sales. Not nice ones, but piles of stuff that looks like it should be burned. Most everything in the town seemed either run down or closed. The people (with the exception of a restaurant we went to, that had great service, but iffy food) seemed numb, like they were either waiting for their next fix, or waiting to die. It is not a question of affluence. I have had a great time in plenty of podunk towns. This place was just plain creepy. Most of the squad cars parked in front of the station said 'volunteer.' Maybe that's part of the problem?

I had booked this place, even after reading reviews, because we aren't very touristy people and I thought we would spend all of our time enjoying the lake and it wouldn't matter if the town was a little sketchy. The beach turned out to be unusable, and I had no interest in the pool. Being able to dock your boat is pretty nice, and if you are a fan of Clear Lake in the first place, and bring your boat, maybe this is a good option for you. The places are generally very clean and it is a great little oasis on the water. Problem is the desert of morality it is situated in. Only because the staff was so friendly and the level of cleanliness did this place earn two instead of one star.

And the price is highway robbery for this area. Should be half as much. Their cancellation fee is $40 if 15 days or more from your trip, and nonrefundable within two weeks of your stay. We left after one night and I was thankful they refunded the remainder of our stay, less the $40 cancellation fee.

I feel bad giving such a low rating, because the staff was so nice, and if there were anything else they could do to make your stay better, they would. But there is only so much lemonade you can make out of lemons.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
18 Thank LunaReview
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2012

The setting is beautiful. Clealake is large, clear, clean and pristinely quiet. The cabins are immaculately clean, very spa-like for this rustic setting; a jetted tub, excellent products provided, beautiful pool and hot tub area overlooking the lake and a cute little kitchen. VERY pet friendly!!! We stayed along the coast from AZ to WA and this was our favorite spot, we will definitely return. The owner and innkeeper, Heather, was especially kind, welcoming, friendly, gracious and helpful! This is an excellent place for a quiet retreat, event, or to just play in the lake!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank sctsdlmom
Olathe, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2012

Upon arriving I was very pleased to have had reserved my room at the nicest appearing cottages by the lake! Walking into my cottage was an awe inspiring moment, pergo flooring with great open space and smelled clean! The staff was friendly even after waking them late night to help me into my room after locking myself out! I have stayed at many hotels, and this place is better than an Embassy and the Best Western! If you are looking for a great place to stay in Clearlake, look no further, you will be so pleased! I cannot wait to return!

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank Becca-Cross
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clearlake
Vista del Lago Lakehouse and Cottages
Tallman Hotel
Tallman Hotel
#1 of 3 in Upper Lake
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites

Been to Clear Lake Cottages & Marina? Share your experiences!