“excellent day trip from anywhere in the Bay Area!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mount Diablo State Park

Mount Diablo State Park
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Clayton
More attraction details
Owner description: Offers vast views from its summit.
San Francisco, California
134 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 125 helpful votes
“excellent day trip from anywhere in the Bay Area!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

Again, I under estimate my own back yard. I've lived in the Bay Area my entire life, and only yesterday did I make time to visit Mt. Diablo. Wow! A beautiful, scenic drive up to the summit takes roughly 20 minutes. The park itself is huge! The day use was a great deal at $10! Along the way we stopped to climb around 'Rock City' the wind carved rocks and surrounding area. The views were amazing, although cold and windy at the top. Be prepared and wear warm gear. There was even a little respite at the summit, with a toasty warm visitor center, museum, small movie theater and gift shop! Sadly, the observation deck was closed and wont re-open until next month, so if you want to wait and go then, I'm sure it will be an amazing view, I'll have to go back! 5 stars for natural beauty!!

Visited February 2013
1 Thank urban_girlie

Brentwood, California
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Family camping in your own backyard!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

For years we lived near the entrance to Mt. Diablo. Our family, my girl scout troop, and our friends would go up there to hike and/or have a picnic. Rock City was a favorite spot. When our daughter was younger, we would frequently camp there just for the night and take a telescope to look at the stars. The view of the valley down to Walnut Creek is great.

1 Thank SuzanLaw
Maryland
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“A Windy Road to the Top, a Beautiful View”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

Close to major urban clog-zones, this park is a gem. Beautiful, seductive hills, classic California landscape. View from the top best to the north featuring the Sacramento River delta. We enjoyed one of the numerous picnic areas along the way - there are lots of tables and we had the place to ourselves, very nice. (When we visited January 19, the restrooms AND the visitor center were under repair - watch for signage or ask at the gate so you can plan ahead.)

Visited January 2013
1 Thank RaggedClaws49
OAHU
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Peaceful place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

This is a nice place to get away from the city. The rock section of this park is fun for the kids to climb and explore. It's too bad that visitors feel the name to carve their names in these rocks. The view is beautiful from the top.

1 Thank Cupcake888
Pasadena, California
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Good cycling challenge”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

My cousin brought me here for a nice ride up to Mt. Diablo. We parked in Danville and rode up to the observatory - it is a very scenic ride. It is a pretty tough ride so bring a bike with some low gears you can spin - I have an old bike and its lowest gear was a 42x21 which made it really hard to last 2 miles. Round trip from Danville is about 30 miles - or 2 1/2 hours of riding. The views along the way are great - but the top is spectacular. Well worth the effort.

Visited December 2012