“Big Improvement over Griswold's, But...”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Claremont
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Claremont
GreenLeadersGold level
Washington DC
“Big Improvement over Griswold's, But...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2010

We booked the Doubletree for two nights while visiting Pomona College with the 17yo daughter. Full disclosure: my husband grew up in Claremont so we have a soft spot for the town, Baldy Mountain behind it, and College Avenue (eat breakfast outside at the Grill: nice). Five hotels in 12 nights and we concluded that the Doubletree was the best value. The only downside is that the walls (this is the converted Griswold's, an overpriced disgrace to the hotel business); it seems as though each successive owner cannot bring himself to invest in injecting some insulation into the walls. We still heard the guy next door, the toilet flushing, and drunken tourists in the hallway at 2 am.

Walls aside, the Doubletree is great bang for the buck: free warm cookies at check-in; nice, big rooms, unstocked refrigerator (no angst over $10 water bottles); lots of towels; good desk space; free functioning WiFi, and nice little balconies. Our 2nd floor room overlooked a garden with the pool and whirlpool steps away. There is also a small but functional fitness center. Free coffee but no free breakfast. No matter: there is a Trader Joe’s on the same lot where you can stock up on pre-prepared food, grab a lager or wine, and watch the sun go down from your balcony. If you’re lazy like us, you can also order room service. For $100, everything included, the three of us ate very, very well. Try the salmon salad appetizer: it’s entrée sized and, at $14, you can’t beat the price.

One more thing: I had to print out something, but the Doubletree’s “business center” (two terminals and notepads) printer was out of order. The receptionist welcomed me to print out the pages behind the reception desk, free of charge. We’ll be back. Thanks!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Jean-Marie S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Norridge, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2010

We needed a place to stay for few nights to take care of some personal business in the area. Check-in was friendly and efficient. Everytime I needed something from the front desk, from picking up paperwork which was delivered, to borrowing white-out, to faxing documents they were happy to oblige.

The room was clean and spacious and the beds were super comfortable with a variety of pillows which differed in firmness. Something for everyone!

The pool area was beautiful. The lanscaping is very lush. Upon entry at one end, there is a big ledge about two feet deep. It's great for liitle kids or for sunning yourself if you don't want to go all the way in. There is also a jacuzzi which was clean and kept at the perfect temperature.

The only complaint I had is the internet in the business center is incredibly slow. We needed to use it quite a bit. It will definitely try your patience.

We'll be moving to the area soon and would not hesitate to put up visiting guests at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2010

I enjoyed my stay here very much. Both houskeeping, engineering and the front desk were very helpful and extremely friendly. The two girls at the front desk, Kathy and Tami, were delightful and had a great sense of humor. The only problem I had with this hotel is their restaurant. Everytime I went in there I usually had to wait for about 10 minutes just to get service. I would understand if it was maybe busy but it was only me and maybe 2 other people at the bar. The hotels great but I wouldnt waste my time at the restaurant.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Riverside, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2010

The room was pleasantly decorated and very clean, but small. There was a safe, a quiet mini-fridge, a flatscreen TV, and good but somewhat noisy air conditioning. The bed was extremely comfortable, but the pillows were mushy. The bathroom was so small that the toilet almost got in the way of my being able to stand at the sink. However, there is plenty of counter space and the bathroom is well lit. I appreciated the makeup mirror. There was plenty of hot water from a good shower head and thick towels for drying off. My room was at the back of the hotel, and it was very quiet. There was no ice machine on my floor. The grounds are beautiful with plants and flowers, and the pool area is very attractive. I had the grossly overpriced ($17) but excellent hot breakfast buffet in the restaurant. By the way, the free chocolate chip cookie at check-in is to die for.

Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2010

I had a business function at nearby Ontario. Most of my colleagues was staying by the Doubletree at the Airport location, but I always have this thing about staying too clo0se to the airport. My assistant helped me friend this Claremont location. Great Hotel, friendly service, clean room. I had an amazing room, was upgraded(life is great when your part of Hilton Honors!) and nice little balcony to over look the garden area. Excellent Hilton amenities as I arrived, with warm cookies. It was late when I arrived, and the bed felt amazing. Nice little village close by with many restaurants and activities after my business function made it a plus! Next time I am in the Ontario area, I would stay again!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Newburgh, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2010

Stayed here during a visit to a family function in Claremont. In twenty plus years of visits to the area, I never stayed at the old Griswold's Hotel, or the predecessors of the Doubletree. My wife and I both slept great in the quiet room, which was a short walk to my sister's house nearby, so really convenient. We went in and out through Ontario (ONT) Airport, so the whole trip was really convenient. My spouse had a haircut at the spa, and was really pleased with their services. Our package included the optional buffet breakfast, which was complete and The Orchard Restaurant had great service. Would happily recommend this hotel to anyone. Nice job with the transformation Doubletree!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2010

The hotel is set in groupings of buildings, so you have to walk up the stairs or take the elevator outside, but the rooms are off interior hallways. The pool was fabulous, a nice sized shallow area (2 feet or less) for kiddies that was attached and part of the larger pool. So kind of a kiddie pool within the larger one.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Claremont
Hotel Casa 425
#2 of 14 in Pomona
BEST WESTERN San Dimas Hotel & Suites
Azure Hotel & Suites Ontario Airport
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Ontario Airport

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Claremont? Share your experiences!