“Nice for college touring”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Claremont
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Claremont
GreenLeadersGold level
Montclair, NJ
“Nice for college touring”
Reviewed July 1, 2009

We were visiting the Claremont McKenna colleges and were delighted with the Double Tree. Nice room and pleasant pool. The hotel restaurant was empty and did not appeal to us, but we preferred to eat in the village anyway. Hotel staff were helpful with directions.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
US
Reviewed March 30, 2009

Based on some of the previous reviews, we stayed here only because of its proximity to the Claremont Colleges and our limited time for commuting to towns further away. The check-in and check-out went smoothly. Our room was clean and everything was in good order. We thought a sliding door did not work but a hotel engineer checked it out (although we waited an hour for his arrival). It turned out that another security lock we had not opened accounted for the door seeming "stuck".
Having previewed the breakfast prices, we opted out and enjoyed an authentic Mexican breakfast in an adjacent town -- not the quaint but pricey Claremont Village -- for $6 per person. However, we did enjoy relaxing at the pool.
I agree that the hotel's wall are thin and would recommend you bring along a sound soother or ear plugs. We were in building D along a side street in the back of the complex and there was no street noise.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed March 28, 2009

We were in Claremont, CA to tour the local Claremont Colleges. There aren't many hotel options available in the area. I booked on-line and, based upon Trip Advisor reviews, requested a newer room. We arrived early and were given a room that was a far cry from new. The room smelled mildewy. The tub drain "stopper" was completely out and sitting on the tub ledge. The tissue box was empty and was not replenished over the course of our two night stay. The room was cramped and felt unclean. We could see the beverage stains from previous guests on the nightstand and caked on food on the desk. Paperthin walls and poor insulation left us in need of ear plugs to block out every little sound we could hear from rooms on either side of us. When the neighboring room shut their hotel door, our wall literally shook. A droning motor constantly sounded throughout the night and seemed to be located on the other side of our bathroom wall. The toilet water periodically ran throughout the night. Needless to say, we did not get much rest at this hotel. Thankfully, we spent little time in the room. Even the elevator, paint, hallway carpet seemed dated, run-down and on it's last leg and in need of renovation. This was a sharp contrast to what we expected when we were graciously received by the front desk and handed warm chocolate chip cookies. The hotel breakfast buffet ($50 for three people) was bland, unimaginative and overpriced. I would definitely explore other options if ever I am again in the area.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Washington DC
Reviewed March 19, 2009

This is by far the worst Doubletree property I've ever stayed in. I could hear the people in the room above me walking on the floor! And when the people in the rooms on either side of me flushed the toilet or turned on the shower, the noise woke me up. Then I wound up in a billing dispute with the hotel that lasted for 6 months before it was resolved in my favor. It's too bad since Claremont is sadly lacking in good hotels.

Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank dakota1956
Midwest, USA
Reviewed February 8, 2009

I traveled to Claremont, CA on business, and was booked into this hotel by the host of my visit.

While the appearance of the hotel and room were fine, the trouble began shortly after getting to my room. I did not have a properly functioning toilet for the entirety of my stay - that would be three days & two nights!!

I discovered the problem right after getting into my room - toilet would not flush & would fill up like it was about to overflow, so I did not unpack, thinking I might need to change rooms. Multiple calls to the front desk finally got someone up to the room who plunged the toilet quickly and left. Fine, but that still didn't fix the problem. Again, calls to the front desk brought up the "engineer" who acknowledged there was some kind of deeper problem, replaced some parts and left. After assurances it would be fine, I unpacked and attempted to get some work done. Still the problem was not fixed, but too bad the engineer was already off duty at 11pm. I had much work to do, and the distraction of worrying, "Will I be able to use my bathroom without waste going all over my floor?" distracted me greatly.

On my way out in the a.m. to my day full of meetings I told the front desk it was STILL a problem/not working, and was assured it would be fixed completely by the time I got back. After dinner with my hosts and a visit to a friend, I returned around 11pm, and found my bathroom STILL not fixed.

The next morning I went downstairs to print my boarding passes and informed the front desk it still wasn't fixed. As I was explaining my problem, the big woman with dark brown lipstick actually put her hand up to me to cut me off! She turned away and made a call, then proceeded to question me with no concern or sympathy "Didn't the engineer EXPLAIN to you that you need to hold the handle down?" Um, no. This was not an issue of jiggling a handle, this was an issue of a non-flushing toilet filling up with waste and nearly spilling over the bowl every time the toilet was used. They called the engineer, who offered to look again. To top it off, at this point, I was finally offered to change my room with one hour to check out. Unbelievable! Why I was not able to do this right at the beginning, I have no idea, the hotel was obviously not full, so it was not a question of there being another room.

I was in a rush to leave, but I regret not demanding a manager to express how dissatisfied I was with the entire experience, and how rude the front desk person was. I did not pay for the room, but will forward these details to my host, so perhaps they will consider booking elsewhere when they have people fly in for business. I will also CC this letter to the hotel.

Watch out if they try to put you in Building #4, and if you have any trouble, do not be patient and good-natured like me, demand a change of room and don't give up until you get it. I travel frequently, and have stayed in hotels from rural China to Europe, and this was by far the worst and most frustrating hotel experience I have ever had.

• Liked — No opinion
  • Disliked — Terrible front desk service, malfunctioning toilet
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank MidwestOnTheRoad
San Dimas
Reviewed December 18, 2008

I actually live about 20 minutes away, and have stayed there twice.

I do so just to get into a new environment, when I am under a lot of stress, and I can afford to do so.

They give you two chocolate chip cookies when you check in that are delicious. The people that work the front desk are young, cheerful, and happy to be there.

I have discriminating taste, and my apartment is pretty nicely decorated. Therefore, a place that I get away to must be nicer than my place, or what is the point? This Doubletree Hotel fills the bill perfectly. It is luxurious enough to make me feel like I am in a different world. The rooms are beautifully and tastefully designed.

I did notice a spot on the rug last time, but I was so happy to be there that I didn't care.

That's it!

• Liked — I like being treated like I am important to them!
  • Disliked — A small spot on the rug.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
San Diego, CA
Reviewed November 9, 2008

We were invited to a class reunion that was held at the Doubletree in Claremont, so it was very convenient to stay here, as well. Everything about our stay was wonderful...from the warm, yummy chocolate chip cookies presented to us upon check-in to the delicious breakfast buffet the next morning, before we checked out. We reserved a 'premium' room, which was on the top (third) floor, facing the courtyard and pool/jacuzzi area. (Ask for one of these units that face the inner courtyard -- they are very nice and have a small balcony. The graceful trees provide some privacy while still offering a view.) Everyone on the staff who we came in contact with was friendly...from the front desk to the waitstaff at breakfast. (all were kind and efficient) The room was spotless, well-appointed and very comfortable. We felt that this Doubletree provided all that you would desire for a pleasant, comfortable travel experience.

• Liked — very accommodating and comfortable
  • Disliked — nothing! It was a pleasant stay!
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Claremont
Sheraton Fairplex Hotel & Conference Center
#2 of 14 in Pomona
Azure Hotel & Suites Ontario Airport
Best Western San Dimas Hotel & Suites
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Ontario Airport

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Claremont? Share your experiences!