“Neat and Clean”

GreenLeadersGold level
Sacramento, CA
“Neat and Clean”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2008

My wife and I had to go to Claremont for a memorial service in July (obviously not going to be a fun trip). We booked the doubletree since it was convenently located for this particular indever. Seeing that this wasn't a trip specificly for fun I didn't expect much of anything. We got there and I was pleasantly surprised. I didn't expect this hotel to be as nice as it was. Decent service, Clean rooms, and nice little cafe with a courtyard. Rooms were modern and clean. 32in flat screen tv, granite counters in bathroom, and good water pressure in the shower. In my opinion these are items that are a must in a positive travel experience. All in all, I absolutly suggest this hotel. Enjoy your stay.

• Liked — Modern Room
  • Disliked — Service was just middle of the road
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank JK2HAWAII

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Naples, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2008

My family and I have stayed at the Doubletree Claremont five times in the last few months. Each stay I have found the staff to be very friendly, and helpful. The dining room staff call us by name and go out of their way to accommodate us. I can't think of a single negative. On three of our stays we were upgraded to a suite, and have found the rooms to be clean and well appointed. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank lizziebill
Henderson, NV
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2008

I had stayed there probably a year before and it was wonderful and surpassed my every expectation.

This time was bad. Overpriced for what I recieved. I booked 2 rooms. The room was clean, I have no reservations about that. The sliding patio door was actually broken in one of our rooms and the gap was such that it caused a draft across the room. It was broken into at some time previous from the outside and not repaired. The parking lot was noisy. The pool and spa was great, however there were no towels available and I had to call from the pool. Response time was slow.

The property had a feeling of being shabby, and since I had stayed there before I had that experience to compare it to, Seems to have really gone downhill in the past year and I would hope that management would try to fix that. I don't know if I would stay there again. The rooms were $130 apiece.

• Liked — comfy bed
  • Disliked — The feeling that I was at a Motel 6
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank YourBasicMom
los angeles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2008

check in was good, front desk was great, got a free cookie, but it was too cold and seemed stale..Room was great, Requested some extra pillows, but it took forever.

I also tried using the pool but the water was not clean, and other problems like dirty towels at the pool. Also, parking lot was not clean.

Overall, despite the poor experience in a few areas, it was an average stay.

My expectations for a Doubletree were high because of the brand image. Maybe thats why i was disappointed. I would stay at this property for the rooms and not the additional amenities.

• Stayed August 2007
    • Check in / front desk
fwright, Assistant Gereral Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Claremont, responded to this review, April 22, 2008
Thank you for your most valuable comments.
Upon reviewing your dissatisfaction of the cold and stale cookie you received, we discovered that indeed the front desk warmer had been accidentally turned off. The cookie itself, I can assure you is baked fresh twice daily and then taken to the front desk.

We are currently revising our response times and procedures, rest assured we do not want to have another guest encounter the same delay.

Due to high volume winds during your stay, we experienced many overturned potted plants as well as debris, that unfortunately, found it's way to the swimming pool and towels.

We appreciate your Doubletree Brand loyalty and invite you to return to our property and let us treat you as the valued guest you are!
WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2008

We stayed at the Doubletree for one night while we were visiting relatives. We had originally booked at the Howard Johnson's down the street, but found it to be too scary to stay the night. We called the Doubltree, and were happy to find they had a room.

The hotel and nearby restaurant were in the final stages of construction, so there was definitely some disruption and a little bit of noise. Our room faced the interior courtyard though, so we did not hear much of it. It also looked like the work was in its final stages, so it may be completed soon (call the hotel and confirm). The pool was open, parking was readily available, and the lobby area was unaffected, so we had no problems.

The room itself was spacious and newly upgraded with a modern feel. We had a flatscreen TV mounted to the wall, great closet and drawer space, Neutrogena bath products (including separate facial cleanser from the bar soap, as well as mouthwash and hand lotion), and loads of fluffy towels. The double beds were small, but very, very comfortable and soft, with nice sheets and comfy duvets. There was a nice sized seating area, and robes in the closet. Our only complaint was the pocket door to the bathroom had a frosted glass panel, which meant the bathroom light was very bright in the middle of the night. Not much of a complaint, really.

The grounds were well kept, with lots of beautiful flowering bushes and plants, and the pool and outdoor jacuzzi looked inviting (we didn't have time to try them). the lobby was very nice as well. We received vouchers for a full, hot breakfast at a nearby restaurant, but could not use them as our flight left early in the morning. The nearby Bucco de Beppo's looked like a great place for dinner (we have one in our city, and love it). A very nice room service menu was available, but we did not have time to use it.

Accesss to Claremont and the freeway is very good from the hotel, and it was a 10-15 minute drive to the Ontario airport from here.

Oh, and we received hugh cookies at check in, definitely a hit with our children.

It is a bit pricy, but a very comfortable stay.

• Liked — the comfortable beds
  • Disliked — a bit pricy
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
Carlsbad, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2008

Stayed there 1 night. Bathroom smelled like a sewer shortly after we arrived. Was so bad during the night that the smell woke me from my sleep. Next day when checking out we told manager the issue and they just said "Sorry". No compensation at all. Their customer service really sucks and I would never stay with them again.

• Disliked — Their customer service is severly lacking.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank jsiaosi
California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2008

I can't recommend the Doubletree Claremont yet...it was going through some growing pains during our stay in March 2008. I hope that the management reads this review, because this could be a nice hotel if it receives the attention it deserves. This is the Doubletree Claremont at 555 Foothill Blvd.

Before I list my complaints, I'd like to say that this hotel is about a 15-minute walk from a beautiful garden, which is blooming with flowers right now in March...the Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden (garden at 1500 North College Avenue, Claremont)...it is just down the street from the hotel.

Biggest Problems during our stay:

Construction:
They didn't tell us there are construction issues when we made our reservation (March 2008). It's not mentioned on the web-site either. They are digging, and sections surrounding the property are blocked off. Something smelled bad, like a leaking sewer...I did report it to the woman at the desk, who incredibly said she hadn't had time to walk around and didn't know what I was talking about. (The smell was obvious and I think staff needs to be informed about problems like this...) We could smell it from the courtyard area that surrounds the pool, and from our room when we opened our patio door. (Our room was on the ground floor in one of the #3000 rooms, which are in one building behind the main building.)

The construction also makes it confusing to walk to dinner in the evening after dark. (There's a Mexican restaurant around the corner but it's confusing to get there with the construction.)
I also ran into numerous "lost" guests who couldn't find the lobby! Some more lit-up signs would help.

"Careline" button on Phone:
When you need to reach the front desk you have to push the "careline" button, since there isn't any button on the phone for the front desk. But nobody answered the careline, though it rang and rang!

Finally I searched through the visitor's guide and found another way to dial the Careline...by dialing the numbers 2125...but that also took dozens of rings and numerous tries before I finally got anybody to answer. This happened numerous times, during regular business hours. Doubletree should be embarassed, as their visitor's guide claims that you can dial the Careline for "immediate" attention!

Since the rooms are in various buildings spread out from the lobby, it is especially important for guests to be able to reach the front desk by phone.

Here is the reason, I assume, for the "Careline" not being answered...(I am tempted to call it the "We Don't Care" line...) The front desk was seriously understaffed frequently during our stay. There was one woman working alone, trying to check in arriving guests and trying to answer phone calls from guests already in rooms at the same time! Finally the next day they got an extra person at the front desk.

Light Broken:
A light in our room didn't work. I called and reported it (eventually after they finally answered the Careline.) A man came to the room with a new bulb but it still didn't work. He said the next day someone would come and fix the light as it needed more work. But nobody ever came...probably they checked in new guests into our room when we left and the light still doesn't work, is my guess.

I never saw any manager. No one asked how our stay was going. The front desk employees were frequently overwhelmed due to understaffing, so it was difficult to reach them, either in person or on the phone.

King Room:
Our King room on the first floor had a comfortable bed with plenty of pillows. We couldn't use the patio on our ground floor room as if you opened the door the smell (I assume from construction issues) came into our room!

The bathroom had a very nice shower head, with plenty of water pressure. But the bathroom was small for the size and price of the room, and there wasn't anyplace to hang up your towels, which is odd... The bathroom door slides shut into a crevice, so there aren't any hooks on it. There is one sink.

The jacuzzi outside near the pool was very pleasant. The pool was a bit cold and too small for doing laps, although it was attractive.

This could be a nice hotel if all of these problems are solved. This is the first time I have experienced this many problems in a hotel and felt like the staff was so unreachable and the hotel was understaffed for its size. Most hotels have enough staff to take care of your needs.

The chocolate chip cookies were at least warm and tasty when we checked out!

• Liked — walking distance to Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Gardens
  • Disliked — problems with construction; unpleasant smell outside coming into room; front desk doesn't answer phone;
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Melissa5
Also consider these accommodations in or near Claremont
Hotel Casa 425
#2 of 14 in Pomona
BEST WESTERN San Dimas Hotel & Suites
Azure Hotel & Suites Ontario Airport
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Ontario Airport

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Claremont? Share your experiences!