“clean, nice room”
Review of Claremont Lodge

Claremont Lodge
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Claremont
Reviewed January 4, 2014

After reading some pretty negative reviews, I was reluctant to stay here, but I was pleasantly surprised. I asked for a nonsmoking, quiet room when I booked, and I was given a room on the far side from Interstate 10. The floor was fake wood, and there were no detectable odors in the room. The room was spacious and had a TV, microwave, and refrigerator without a freezer compartment. I could not get the phone to work, but I have a cell phone, so it didn't matter. We walked to the restaurant across the street for breakfast since not even coffee is served at the motel.

Room Tip: My room was on the farthest side from the highway.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
8  Thank ladylodger

Reviewed December 8, 2013

The bottom line is that it's not somewhere to go to for a romantic or beauty appreciating week-end because the facility won't add anything to that in terms of ambiance, etc. But, if you are looking for somewhere inexpensive to stay for a night or two and are prepared to make some allowances, given the price, the Claremont Lodge is excellent value.

I found that the cheaper price was online, rather than telephone booking.

Maybe the place has been refurbished since some of the reviews. I wouldn't have stayed there, if I had seen them.

As it was, we had to stop over one night and how bad could it be for the price?

In fact, it was excellent for the price. The rooms were basic, but clean with a reasonable flat screen TV, etc. Shower pressure good. The heater/air conditioner that one set oneself took a little getting used you in terms of keeping the room too hot or two cold. But it wasn't much of a problem.

The downside it seems to me was more than compensated for by the price. It's very near the freeway, although one doesn't hear the outside noise in the room and it is basic. There is a pool, which looks functional, but it's not inviting. Ice machines outside some of the rooms, etc. Do-it-yourself coffee in the room, but there is a liquor store in the complex for drinks, etc., plus a number of breakfast places within a very short drive.

The staff were OK. The night window referred to in one of the reviews is just that. Helpful because there's always someone at reception on all. But the regular reception seems open during the daytime and evening.

Room Tip: You can't really hear it from inside the room, but get a room without a huge ice-maker outside i...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
11  Thank A_Fellow_Pilgrim
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Recently I needed a close place to house my Son and Grandson who were visiting for Disneyland. We were looking for an economy spot for two nights so he could be close to my house before embarking on his trip.

Claremont Lodge is easy access to the freeway and also to several good places to get a meal, and get some rest. The Hotel is just off the freeway-but- is just far enough not to hear the noisy traffic. There is a restaurant just across the street--but I really recommend the "NORM's" there across the way. This Norm's is always busy, but we have always had really good service, and good delicious entrees at a reasonable price.

The cost of the Claremont Lodge is about $60-$80 and there is a small pool if you want to take a swim. I was impressed because I had gone to talk to the manager the day before my Son arrived and wanted to check out the rooms. He said that he had had a complaint that the carpet was not new enough. He went on to explain that they were in the process of remodeling, and since the carpets are a bit aged, that may have been why a guest had complained. He showed me our room, and I told him it was fine. He sent a carpet cleaner over to the room anyway and had the carpets freshly cleaned just for us!!! How is that for trying to make your stay the BEST! The hotel will be remodeled sometime over this year to next year, but I found it suitable for an economy type stay. The room and bathroom was very clean, and the bed slept REALLY comfortable..there is a pillow top on it and I tried it out and wanted to stay myself!

I dont know if the reviews posted on Trip Advisor before mine were a different staff, but I found both the night clerk and the day clerk to be friendly. The night clerk told me they had a bad expeience with a former employee drawing complaints but had fired that employee.

This is not a Hotel for vacation luxury. This is an economy stay with convenience. I did not find any of the issues reported by others here on this site. I dont know why My family would have a better experience, but we did. I think travelors should ask to check the rooms of any hotel before they settle in. If you are looking for a more tasteful stay, then you need to expect $100 and above for the room price. For this price, in this area, the Claremont Lodge is suitable.

I looked at several close properties, and this one was deemed the Best in this price range. I also was not worried at all and after we left, there was no sign of insects or other hazards to staying there. I would put guests up there again if I needed them in this area, and economy was needed.

Room Tip: If you are a local, go by and talk with the proprietor and ask to see the room you can rent. Let the...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
10  Thank DeborahF2
Reviewed September 23, 2011

The rooms are junky and old, the wifi does not work, but I was just dropping my little brother off at grad school and needed a place to lay my head.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
9  Thank uglychicano
Reviewed February 20, 2011

My fiance and I were in town for an engagement party and decided to stay at this hotel because it was near the location and right off the freeway. From the outside it looked fairly decent. We paid for the room and drove to up the street to get some food to eat before going to our room. When we walked into the room I was immediately disgusted by the smell and the condition of the furniture. It looked like a motel for ex-cons or pimps and their hoes. I pulled back the blankets to see if the sheets were clean and if there were insects hiding in the bed. I told my fiance that I could not sleep in the room because it was awful. We grabbed our belongs and went to the lobby and told the front desk attendent that we would like a refund because we did not like the room. He said he would have to go look at the room first and that he would be right back. When he returned he began to yell at us and said that we could not have our money back because we used the room. I said we did not use the room we just checked in 25 minutes ago and went to get something to eat. We even showed him the receipt from the restaurant. He continued to yell at us and even threatened to call the police. I told him he didn't have to call the police because I would to it myself. When the police arrived they said there was nothing they could do and that the desk attendent said we could keep our room and stay the night but we could not receive a refund. We left and found a better room near the Ontario airport with Excellent rooms and customer service. We had to be for a room twice in one night but at least we could sleep peacefully knowing we would not catch a veneral disease laying in a NASTY bed!!!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank shhbro
Reviewed February 4, 2010

Great centralized location near the Claremont colleges, restaurants, and malls. As a frequent traveller, I have posted numerous reviews. In doing so, I have always tried to keep an open mind. The "location" is as good as this review will get. The unfriendly front desk clerk gave me the impression that the Claremont Lodge was not interested in customer satisfaction. He was not helpful at all and was visibly annoyed by any questions posed to him. It was clear that he did not wish to be bothered by customers. The hotel offers products with cheapness that I would have never imagined possible: The towels were worn through, the brittle soap disintegrated, and the paper products were sorely inadequate. Poorly fitting bed linens on worn spring beds made sleeping difficult. Mold in the bathroom had me wondering about the company's concern for their guests' health.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank Campusvisitor
Reviewed January 4, 2010

i had such an awful experience dealing with the reservation person named, "Bingo" that I decided not to stay there. When I called back I got Bingo again and told him that I had changed my mind, he threatened to charge me a processing fee. He already has my credit card info, so now I am a bit scared that he may still charge me. What business does that, let alone a hotel? My reservation wasn't for another 4 months, I was well within the time to cancel and there is no mention of a "processing fee" anywhere on their website. I will never stay at this hotel. They need to work on their customer service.

• Stayed: January 2010
5  Thank calculush1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Claremont
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Claremont
Azure Hotel & Suites Ontario Airport
Ontario Inn & Suites
Ontario Inn & Suites
#1 of 3 in Montclair

Been to Claremont Lodge? Share your experiences!