“Walked in, walked out”
Review of Le Pain Quotidien

Le Pain Quotidien
Ranked #32 of 136 Restaurants in Claremont
Cuisines: Belgian
Description: Le Pain Quotidien serves simple, elegant boulangerie fare made with organic ingredients whenever possible: breakfast, tartines, pastries and handmade organic bread & many vegan and vegetarian options.
Lake Elsinore, California
“Walked in, walked out”
Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

I researched this place prior to my arrival. I was so excited to visit because there is nothing like fresh baked bread. The restaurant looked very inviting unfortunately the staff was not. I browsed around the bakery case, the shelves, the menu board and not one employee acknowledged me. One gentleman wearing an apron nearly bumped into me as he was walking to the kitchen, I said excuse me, he said nothing. I walked out refusing to purchase anything. My money will be as invisible as I am at Le Pain Quotidien. Will not return.

Visited January 2014

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Upper-scale and pricier than the competition”
Reviewed December 24, 2013

The first time I walked into a Pain Quotidien (in a different city) it was just to buy bread, and I was amazed - by the quality of the bread and the atmosphere.
The second time, at a different location, I had lunch. Food was good, cappuccino was expensive and not too good (I expect better at that price) and service was so so.

I looked forward to another visit, this time in Claremont. The service was excellent, the food was good - but a very small portion (hangover from Nouvelle Cuisine, or simply 'portion control?') The hot chocolate was disappointing - a cup of warm milk with a little pitcher of chocolatey goo to pour in. The cup had no handles, so it was good that the milk was only lukewarm, but I was expecting something hotter and more intense.

I may buy a loaf of bread from a branch if I am near one, but it won't be a future destination. When on the road, I head for a well-known chain with in-store bakeries that offers good quality, nutritional soups and salads, a relaxed atmosphere, cheerful fireplaces, comfortable seats and small tables and a chance for a little downtime and wifi catch-up. I can't imagine relaxing in Le Pain Quotidien. It is a place to join friends, eat and leave. Oh, and pay for the haute cuisine. Unless they reduce their prices and increase portion sizes, I don't thing the competition has much to fear, long term.

• Visited December 2013
Athens, Georgia
“Meh”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

The recent review really says it all -- looks amazing, tastes OK. And yes it is pricey for what you get. The pastry and bread are solid, but not earth-shattering and the food is just OK.

• Visited August 2013
Carlsbad, California
“Fantastic, loved everything”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We were in Claremont for the weekend and ate here twice, breadfast and lunch. Loved the breakfast choices, fantastic food, very creative. Gaspacho was great for lunch. Very nice patio, so we could take the dogs. Great sun shade so did not get too hot.

• Visited May 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
“overpriced and pretentious, but good food”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We come here pretty regularly as my wife likes it quite a bit. But for a basic breakfast, good, but nothing outstanding, be prepared to spend about $20 per person.

Visited December 2012