“Wonderful Stay at this Lovely Property”

Pacific Palms Resort
Monrovia, California
“Wonderful Stay at this Lovely Property”
Reviewed May 18, 2014

Made a last minute decision to run away for a "stay-cation" and lucked up on this property. I found out that it used to be a Sheraton Property but now it is a high end spa resort. I honestly did not know what to expect and had very low expectations but have to admit that I really enjoyed my stay.

The hotel is clean and well kept, the staff is friendly and service focused, the rooms are very nicely appointed, and the rates were reasonable. The hotel restaurant does not have many food options, but there are dozens of places to eat within a five to ten minute drive. They offer free self-parking very close to the hotel and also valet for those that desire having someone else find a parking spot.

My only criticism is that the water pressure was lower than I expected and the water did not get very hot in the shower...slightly above luke warm is how I would describe the temperature.

The view of the mountains from the window that spanned the entire wall was a great highlight for me. The property has a great golf course, golf museum and more for those golf enthusiasts.

Room Tip: We stayed in a corner room which I believe is slightly larger than the standard room.

Room Tip: The property is closer to the 60fwy; about 10 min. from the 10fwy and 20 min. to the 210 fwy. There...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jennifer Y

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
San Diego
Reviewed May 10, 2014

We booked a room at the Pacific Palms Resort while on our way to Los Angeles. The resort is perched on a hill in a suburban community east of Los Angeles. I must admit while driving to the hotel along Azusa Ave, one gets the feeling "can there be anything nice around here?" The area seems poor and rundown. But once you turn into the hotel property, your entire demeanor changes. The grounds are lushly landscaped and well kept. There is a long drive approach up the hill to the hotel. When entering the hotel the first impression is a vast multi- story grand lobby that reminds you of a large chateau.The staff working at the check in desk were very cordial and helpful. The hotel has a couple of hundred rooms and most have pretty amazing views. We booked a king room that had a nice view of the San Gabriel Mountain range. The views at night were pretty incredible. The rooms are not large. The bathrooms are pretty small. But they are nicely decorated and the bed was comfortable. We did not dine at the hotel but we did use the outdoor bar area to have a few drinks. There was a small band playing some nice music and there was a nice fire pit near a winding water pool. The server was very attentive and showed me a list of cigars and brought our drinks quickly. I also played one of the two hotel golf courses on the property. I had a 6:40 am tee time and I was basically the only one on the course it seemed. The courses are kept very well and the layout is very challenging. All in all this is a nice place to stay. If I have one complaint it is that the hotel seems to lack warmth and character. I always had the sense that there were no other guests even though we saw other people from time to time. As far as value, it is moderately priced and a good value.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gene2459
Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

Pacific palm resort is a good place for night view which you could see the whole Los angles through the balcony and the window is so designed but not a good place to find some food. Coz you must walk for a long way to get out of hotel .Hotel is clean and nice so worth it .

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 燕倫 李
Pacific P, Manager at Pacific Palms Resort, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. We hope to see you again soon!
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

The first word to describe this hotel is "Grandeur". Sitting on top of the hill over looking the San Gabriel Valley or the city view.

I love the driveway from the main street to the hotel entrance. The lobby is very big and very high celling.

The location is minutes away from the Asian shopping complexes.

The swimming pool is very nice, relaxing and the views is magnificent.

2 restaurants; I love Cima restaurant, over looking a golf field and the food is fantastic too. Weather permitted, ask for outside sitting.

Though the hotel is 25 years old, it's well maintained n looks new, this is due to the newly 60 million overhaul renovation done in 2013.

My suggestions upon check in:
Asked for highest floor possible (9th n 10th floor have access to the 10th floor club house)

Room facing valley is much beautiful than the city view.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Ichione
We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again soon! Thank you for taking the time to review our property.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 21, 2014

When I left the Pacific Palms early this morning after a 2 night stay for a conference, my review might have been different were it not for assitance tonight from Jeff, an amazing staff member at the property. More about him shortly.

This was my first stay and tho' I'd looked at the web site to learn more, I didn't know much. My expectations for it as a meeting facility were high: it has the IACC (Intl. Association of Conference Centres) approval and considers itself a resort AND conference center.

Check in was reasonably efficient. I had asked the group holding the meeting to request a room near an elevator. Interestingly, I was put in an ADA-accessible room. (I have a mobility disability but never use an ADA room for a variety of reasons.) No one at the desk asked if that were ok or if I wanted that room type.

What I don't like about ADA rooms for ANYone: they are not fully accessible. The lowered closets assume that people with disabilities have short clothes! (We don't necessarily.) That means anything hanging touches the floor. Why not a closet w/ a lower and a higher bar?

The walk/roll-in shower would have been fine if the shower head had been cleaned well and there were more than one stream of water. WAIT Pacific Palms - don't blame housekeeping - they work hard enough. Management should check rooms all the time! The room was 1115 and I hope the front desk did, as I noted to them at check out, have the showerhead thoroughly cleaned.

The bed was comfortable and the sheets crisp. The bed was not tall enough for someone getting from a wheelchair. to the bed.

The desk is great and the free (and strong) wi-fi were appreciated.

AWFUL: the bedside lighting if you have any intention of reading. It is dim beyond words! And the switch to reach under the shade to turn it on and off was difficult. Better to have the desk lamp also bed-side.

The conference used conference dining. I was there for and ate a lunch and a dinner. I'd heard the property had great food. I found it to be mediocre and the service totally non-attentive. At dinner, no one asked if we wanted coffee or tea. (Oh and the buffets are too high for anyone in a wheelchair or on a scooter.)

California is experiencing an horrific drought. The golf course, viewed from my window (the view was magnificient looking out on the golf course and valley) was very green. At meals, all the tables were set w/ iced tea which meant a great use of water especially when the entire group did not come to any one meal. I was discouraged about how they were conserving.

I had room service on my last night and I don't recommend it. I ordered a shrimp cocktail (small, hard shrimp) and prime rib (I ordered medium; it was so over-cooked to be almost unrecognizable as prime rib); it said it came with carrots; it came with asparagus and squash. The bread was like Wonder Bread v. the good hard rolls at the buffet.

So Jeff: when I checked out at 4 am, I left a box (w/ a pre-printed fedex label) to be shipped out today. When I arrived at home, I had no message that FedEx had picked up the box. I called and talked w/ Jeff, a bell/valet staff person. HE deserves a raise, an employee-of-the-quarter honor, and more! He explained their process, checked and instead of keeping me on hold, called me back. His demeanor helped me not get upset when I learned my box had been separated from other and not picked up. Before calling me, he called FedEx and said he'd personally take it to the near by FedEx and ensure it would go out today.

KUDOS to Jeff. (I've not put his last name to ensure his privacy for all but the Resort.) He should train others on attitude at least.

Would I return? Dunno. The meeting rooms were so-so - many did not have windows, something I've come to expect at a conference center - and tho' I heard they had IACC-approved furniture, the room in which I facilitated a session had the standard banquet chairs and covered tables.

If you're a golfer perhaps this is the place for you. If you're doing a meeting, do a site inspection first.

Room Tip: I was in 1115 - facing the golf course and valley. It was a lovely view. Find out if they have a gro...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank JLEDC
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 21, 2014

I attended a week long conference in the resort - food was great- plentiful, tasteful and a lot of variety; service was great, accommodations good - rooms were clean, quiet and spacious.
There was a golf course if you enjoy the sport; an outdoor heated pool which I would have loved to spend more time in :) and plenty of seating outside to enjoy the outdoors and the sunshine.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Marinela C
We are so glad you enjoyed your experience with us and hope to see you again in the future. Thank you for taking the time to review our resort.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 20, 2014

We had a golf-view room, quite spacious, clean, adequate coffee machine with its disposable coffee slots, and a great balcony. The walls are pretty thin, but the noise didn't disturbed our night sleep. The receptionist was very helpful when we asked for a queen bed instead of double bed.
The location of the resort is quite secluded.

Do not expect to get food nearby because there's none. You'd have to walk approx. 15 mins to get to the main road, and walk 10 mins further to get to the nearest restaurant. I guess if you really need to eat, just order room service, eat at the hotel's restaurant, or order food delivery from nearby restaurants.

Room Tip: ask for golf-view room.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near City of Industry
Comfort Suites Near Industry Hills Expo Center
Courtyard Los Angeles Hacienda Heights/Orange County
Courtyard Los Angeles Hacienda H...
#1 of 3 in Hacienda Heights
Courtyard Los Angeles Baldwin Park
Ayres Suites Diamond Bar
Ayres Suites Diamond Bar
#1 of 3 in Diamond Bar

Been to Pacific Palms Resort? Share your experiences!