“Motel room without place to hang clothes or put the soap”

Days Inn San Diego Chula Vista South Bay
Ranked #10 of 22 Hotels in Chula Vista
Reviewed March 7, 2013

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn
PARESH P, Manager at Days Inn San Diego Chula Vista South Bay, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

There are newer reviews for Days Inn San Diego Chula Vista South Bay

Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

Robert, was very friendly and most importantly great to work with on a budget. first, this hotel could seem a bit sketchy. I just spent 9 nights here and can truly say it is a great deal. Clean rooms, and amazing house keeping. Breakfast and free wi-fi made this a very worth while place to stay

• Stayed: February 2013
PARESH P, Manager at Days Inn San Diego Chula Vista South Bay, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

We would like to genuinely thank you for your kind words. We’re delighted to know that you enjoyed our amenities and cleanness.Our staff will definitely always go above and beyond to make your experience with us, magnificent! As you mentioned, our prices are very reasonable, best quality for best price. Can’t beat that! We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed February 12, 2013

For $70/ Night in peak season I don't think you will get better than this.

The rooms are clean, cozy and quiet. Location is bad I admit, its too far from popular beaches and downtown. Staff is very friendly, and free donuts and coffee every morning in the lobby. However get up before 8:00 am or you'll miss out. But if you like to sleep in, no worries there is a Taco Bell and Denny's across the street.

Rooms where a little on the small side, but it was expected. Pool and Spa are nice, however spa was full of sand, it had perhaps a 2" layer of sand at the bottom. I'm not sure if its best for a family, as the area seems a little rough, and the roads are busy.

All in all a great place to stay if your bargain hunting wasn't very fortunate that season.

Room Tip: Choose rooms opposite of the pool/ freeway, they are quieter. However rooms towards the pool are bri...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
PARESH P, Manager at Days Inn San Diego Chula Vista South Bay, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Thank you very much for your kind review! We are so pleased to hear about your experience at our hotel. Our friendly staff always makes sure to provide exceptional customer service, with hopes to make you feel right at home, and we’re glad you did!
I am sorry that you experienced different setbacks. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you for bringing this to our attention to further correct this issue.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

Reviewed January 26, 2013

i actually work at a days inn in hawaii & i came to san diego for vacation with my dad & sister, we only stayed for 2 nights & i chose this location because it was only a few minutes away from san diego zoo, which is why we were in san diego (drove from las vegas) & the rooms were big, the beds were comfy, the tv wasnt fuzzy at all, continental breakfast was so good!!! loved the waffles! but everyone wanted the waffles so the line was pretty long :P the area its in was a little scary to me just because being from hawaii, where its very relaxed dont have to worry about any violence really, & this place looked a little on the ghetto side. but it wasnt too bad :) i loved how we were close to alot of restaurants, STARBUCKS :) & a mall wasnt too far away. so overall, i enjoyed my 2 nights, with a rate of $40 a night(being a days inn employee) i cant complain at all!

Room Tip: i think my room was 141? was a good room, im usually a upstairs person, but we had no complaints. ba...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
PARESH P, General Manager at Days Inn San Diego Chula Vista South Bay, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

Glad to know you enjoyed our breakfast, as you mentioned we offer good varieties to choose from, so that each guest is pleased, including OUR WAFFLE MACHINES!!!!
Thanks again for your comments and we look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed January 22, 2013

Pluses: hard to beat the price at $50/night. More than that, I'd reconsider. Personally, I won't return for reasons mentioned below. Nicely decorated (just don't look too closely at colors and patterns). Friendly staff.

I stayed in the handicap accessible room (#141), which I'd guess has recently been renovated, based on other reviews. A queen sized bed nearly filled the room with barely sufficient room to move around in a wheel chair. It has NO where to put clothing .. no closet, no drawers. There's a large (empty: no draws, no shelves, no hooks) cabinet holding the non-flatscreen TV (hint to management: change this to a narrow cabinet, get a flatscreen and a wheelchair would much more easily navigate the room); one hook on the back of the bathroom door. I resorted to hanging my sweater and coat on the ironing board, next to the TV (no iron, though), and pulling things as I needed/wanted them from my bag .. and then stashing the bag somewhere, since the only real surface was the bed. (Second tip: get some advice from a good decorator for ADA rooms... this one is abominable.)

I work as a live-in caregiver and often take 2 or 3 days at a hotel, just to get away and play on my computer, read and watch some TV/movies. The hotel advertises free wireless internet. They should specify that it's really only available in the pool area or lobby, as reception in the room was worse than any dial-up I've ever used. After a number of phone calls to the front desk and attempts by them to restart routers, I finally gave up. I mean, really .. most of the time the connection was so bad, I couldn't even get authenticated on their server and access email. I promise I'm not being prissy and demanding, and expecting to play 3D combat games or watch streaming movies.

Their marquee advertises 80+ channels and 5 HBO stations. Really? Channel numbers ranged from 4 to 80 .. at least 10 of those were blocked, either because they don't have a digital receiver or they're not subscribed. And I found no HBO channels, whatsoever.

Cleanliness ...Bathroom: I'm not a germaphobe, but the tiling had me seriously concerned: the floor was not sealed, at all (and while this may have provided a relatively safer surface on which to walk, there is no way they could clean that floor with any certainty), and the wall tiles weren't caulked. Can we say lots of hiding places for all that mold and bacteria? Handprints on the insides of the doors, and a stain on the seat of the one chair (looked very much like a menstrual stains... yuck).

I mentioned all my complaints, throughout my stay and at check out. The standard response was: I'll tell the manager. Hmmm .. we'll see.

Room Tip: East side rooms were pretty quiet; but no internet
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

First and foremost, thank you for taking the time off your busy schedule to write this review. It is with deep regret to hear that your stay with us wasn't a pleasant one. Our staff is dedicated in keeping up our quality standards of each room to ensure satisfaction is being met by all guests.Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you for bringing this to our attention to further correct this issue.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

At first I was unhappy with our room which faced E St. There was some traffic noise but not as bad as I feared. Ask for a room along the sides. The hotel is old and the furniture was banged and nicked but we found it clean. The tub was in dire need of replacing...porcelain chipped. It looked like the room had recently been painted. Found the bed comfortable and to our liking. We liked the continental breakfast which included the freshest sweet rolls. However if you want anything go early..they run out quickly. And slow to refill anything or to clean the tables. The breakfast room was the dirtiest place I saw. If the rate was good I would probably stay there again.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple