“Well.........”

Days Inn San Diego Chula Vista South Bay
Ranked #10 of 22 Hotels in Chula Vista
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Pluses: hard to beat the price at $50/night. More than that, I'd reconsider. Personally, I won't return for reasons mentioned below. Nicely decorated (just don't look too closely at colors and patterns). Friendly staff.

I stayed in the handicap accessible room (#141), which I'd guess has recently been renovated, based on other reviews. A queen sized bed nearly filled the room with barely sufficient room to move around in a wheel chair. It has NO where to put clothing .. no closet, no drawers. There's a large (empty: no draws, no shelves, no hooks) cabinet holding the non-flatscreen TV (hint to management: change this to a narrow cabinet, get a flatscreen and a wheelchair would much more easily navigate the room); one hook on the back of the bathroom door. I resorted to hanging my sweater and coat on the ironing board, next to the TV (no iron, though), and pulling things as I needed/wanted them from my bag .. and then stashing the bag somewhere, since the only real surface was the bed. (Second tip: get some advice from a good decorator for ADA rooms... this one is abominable.)

I work as a live-in caregiver and often take 2 or 3 days at a hotel, just to get away and play on my computer, read and watch some TV/movies. The hotel advertises free wireless internet. They should specify that it's really only available in the pool area or lobby, as reception in the room was worse than any dial-up I've ever used. After a number of phone calls to the front desk and attempts by them to restart routers, I finally gave up. I mean, really .. most of the time the connection was so bad, I couldn't even get authenticated on their server and access email. I promise I'm not being prissy and demanding, and expecting to play 3D combat games or watch streaming movies.

Their marquee advertises 80+ channels and 5 HBO stations. Really? Channel numbers ranged from 4 to 80 .. at least 10 of those were blocked, either because they don't have a digital receiver or they're not subscribed. And I found no HBO channels, whatsoever.

Cleanliness ...Bathroom: I'm not a germaphobe, but the tiling had me seriously concerned: the floor was not sealed, at all (and while this may have provided a relatively safer surface on which to walk, there is no way they could clean that floor with any certainty), and the wall tiles weren't caulked. Can we say lots of hiding places for all that mold and bacteria? Handprints on the insides of the doors, and a stain on the seat of the one chair (looked very much like a menstrual stains... yuck).

I mentioned all my complaints, throughout my stay and at check out. The standard response was: I'll tell the manager. Hmmm .. we'll see.

Room Tip: East side rooms were pretty quiet; but no internet
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
PARESH P, General Manager at Days Inn San Diego Chula Vista South Bay, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

First and foremost, thank you for taking the time off your busy schedule to write this review. It is with deep regret to hear that your stay with us wasn't a pleasant one. Our staff is dedicated in keeping up our quality standards of each room to ensure satisfaction is being met by all guests.Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you for bringing this to our attention to further correct this issue.

There are newer reviews for Days Inn San Diego Chula Vista South Bay

Reviewed January 13, 2013

At first I was unhappy with our room which faced E St. There was some traffic noise but not as bad as I feared. Ask for a room along the sides. The hotel is old and the furniture was banged and nicked but we found it clean. The tub was in dire need of replacing...porcelain chipped. It looked like the room had recently been painted. Found the bed comfortable and to our liking. We liked the continental breakfast which included the freshest sweet rolls. However if you want anything go early..they run out quickly. And slow to refill anything or to clean the tables. The breakfast room was the dirtiest place I saw. If the rate was good I would probably stay there again.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 13, 2013

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Pros: The cost of the hotel and restaurants are located near the hotel. The person greeting you when you enter the hotel was very friendly and helpful and I believe genuinely cares about your visit.

Cons: The rooms are very dirty and the walls are thin. Housekeeping also does not honor requests for things like changing the sheets. The comforter was absolutely filthy! The gym is pretty poor (only two pieces of exercise equipment in a dirty hotel room), and the hot tub did not work. Finally, don't get excited about the breakfast. It is OK if you like sweets. Even with that said, they would be out of food by 6:15am.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn
Reviewed January 11, 2013

It's about a half mile from the freeway. The front desk persons were all nice, courteous and personable. My room was clean, everything worked. There was a small refrigerator along with a microwave in the room. Also, there was a large open area to hang clothing. The bed was comfortable and had four pillows were really nice. I especially liked the channel selection for TV, since the TCM channel was one of them. There are plenty of restaurants within a one block area: Denny’s, Taco Bell, La Qunita Grill, and a Steakhouse. There’s also a Wal-Mart about 2 miles down the road, which came in handy for me. There’s a pool and a Jacuzzi that was in operation. The hotel has a continental breakfast, that has a small selection, but it’s worth it for the waffles.
The only ding I will give them is with regards to my luggage. I was in town for a family funeral. The airline had lost my luggage and when found was to deliver it to the hotle. The morning I was to leave and fly home I called the front desk and was informed my luggage was there. When I went down and got it I asked the desk clerk when it arrived, he only knew it had been sitting there since before 11 pm when he came on duty. No one at the hotel had bothered to call me. I spoke to the hotel management about the lack of notification regarding my luggage and can only hope that this won’t happen to someone else.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 2, 2013

My wife and I spent two nights at this hotel in last December. We choose this hotel because it is near the E. Street trolley station, just needed to walk five minutes from the station to the hotel and that's it. Also the hotel rate was very good for the two nights.

The negative side of this hotel is that facilities are too old and room cleanliness. Also the breakfast variety is too poor (coffe, milk and bread is all you get), we can understand this is because of the rates and hotel type, but some more meal options should improve it a lot.

Will I recommend this hotel? I do not think so. If you are not traveling in a budget then try another one nearby this place or in Downtown San Diego.

Room Tip: We won't recommend this hotel unless you are traveling in a budget or for shopping and will not...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Front desk help was wonderful. Every time we had a question, Chris, would find us the answer and printed off locations or directions several times. Room was clean. Breakfast waffles were good. The variety of other foods was average.

Room Tip: Bottom level was a little bit noisy.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple