“Recently remodelled rooms”

Best Western Chula Vista/Otay Valley Hotel
Ranked #9 of 22 Hotels in Chula Vista
Reviewed October 8, 2007

I read the past reviews that seemed very mixed. The address is wrong on this website. It's actually 4450 MAIN STREET.

I recently booked a Priority Club reward night stay here. From the hotel website, the Executive Level was recently remodeled.

The hotel is right next to the 805 Freeway.

Because this was a freebie night, I was expecting the worst room. To my surprise, we were given a really nice room that did not face the freeway. The room had plenty of dark oak wood panels and felt very new. The actual bathroom was small, but usuable with the vanity outside. It included a small dorm room size fridge, coffee maker and microwave oven. Also, the room had a iron and ironing board. This is probably an executive level room.

Didn't find the workout room though the website says there is one.

The beds were triple sheeted with 4 pillows each (2 hard and 2 soft). The sheets were much nicer that most hotel room sheets.

For priority club members, they gave you a welcome bag that included chips, bottled water, granola bar and a candy bar. Nice touch.

The hot tub and pool are small, but functional. We got a taste of what it would be like if we stayed on the side of the hotel facing the freeway and it would be very loud.

No complaints at all.

The expanded continental breakfast included two surpises -- hot cheese omlettes and bacon. It also had the hot cinnamon rolls, boiled eggs, fruit, english muffins, danishes, cereal (including instant oatmeal) as well as plenty of milk, coffee and fruit juices.

Lots of stuff nearby -- an overpriced gas station, 7-eleven just down the street as well as a mexican restaurant. On the other side of the freeway, they had a SoupPlantation and Kohls in a strip mall area. There were car dealerships further and on the street that lead to the Coors Ampitheater.

Mexico is about 2 miles down the 805.

The people working there at the desk seemed friendly enought and they had a computer in the lobby if you didn't bring your laptop (the place had free WiFi). Free coffee and lemonade were available in the lobby.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with friends
6  Thank Chrissypoo
HotelManagement4450, Manager at Best Western Chula Vista/Otay Valley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2009

Thank you for the great comments on our hotel! We have remodeled the entire hotel since your last stay. Our fitness center is on the first floor, west side of the hotel. Thank you once again.

Reviewed September 12, 2006

This hotel stay was TERRIBLE! Not only were the clerks completely unprofessional, but the manager was rude and unfriendly! The housekeeping leaves the rooms wide open, even if they are in a different room cleaning, and as a result one of my credit cards were stolen. The hotel employees were whistling and following young female occupants, and on several occasions I saw another employee standing outside smoking pot. The bedsheets were full of some kind of mite on one night, and when I checked in there were several dead spiders on the wall. I can't imagine subjecting anyone to this experience! Do not stay here!!!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled on business
6  Thank mh92126
Reviewed September 3, 2006

We stayed at this hotel on August 26th, and although it wasn't exactly terrible, I don't know that I'd recommend it for stays longer than a day or two. It was excellent for our needs as it offered very easy access for a place to crash after a concert at the Coors Amphitheatre, but otherwise I wouldn't want to spend a lot of time there. The pool area was more what you'd expect to find at a cheap motel, and the rooms were very basic and not well lit. The room appeared relatively clean, but I tried not to look all that closely. Not fond of the 1.5 inch gap under my door. The location is right off the highway, so access to and from this hotel is very good. Overall, it may be a good option considering what little Chula Vista has to offer, but if you have a choice, look for a hotel in San Diego instead. Seriously.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank TravellinDaveHead
Reviewed August 13, 2006

We just came back from a weekend vacation in San Diego. My sister-in-law, her boyfriend and I took the kids to the San Diego Zoo and to SeaWorld. I found this hotel through hotwire. What a great experience. The staff was very friendly and the hotel was in a great location, right off the freeway. We were placed in a downstairs room which made it easier with the children. We were very well acccommodated and the room as very clean. The staff was very friendly and the hotel itself was a frienly environment. The "Express Breakfast" was great. We got more than we bargained for there. My sister-in-law I commented to each other afterwards that the noise level was very low, infact we never even heard our neighbors. I went swimming with my Goddaughers in the pool and it was a nice time. I would definelty stay there again. We were very pleased oveall with this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
5  Thank QVO
Reviewed August 10, 2006

Great place to stay, super clean rooms and excellent interior decor. would stay here again if in the San Diego area. Excellent breakfast but seating area was always full so we ate in the room.

Only problem was the one slow elevator for all three floors.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
6  Thank GreatNorthTraveler
Reviewed April 8, 2006

Vacation plans changed suddenly when son had to be hospitalized in Chula Vista. Holiday Inn Express was only about three miles away and had vacancy, so stayed there until son was released. Appreciated pool and hot tub for stress relief, couch, easy chair, desk, microwave and refridgerator in room. Expanded breakfast and free newspaper were nice too. Mexico border is three miles south on I-805 for sightseeing and shopping. Imperial Beach beaches are due west. Laundry room is next to room 111, and I ran several loads at $1 wash/ 75 cents to dry.

7  Thank ColoradoMailman
Reviewed March 13, 2005

For $80 dollars a night, we could not have asked for more. 2 exits away from TJ; a continental breakfast; nice normal clean rooms (typical, nothing outstanding). Great place and location if you're going to TJ. Gas stations and Taquerias everywhere in avery clean part of the city!

• Stayed: February 2005