“Not worth the value”

Best Western Chula Vista/Otay Valley Hotel
Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in Chula Vista
Reviewed March 16, 2011

I was quite surprised seeing a sign saying that the hotel allows smoking inside the rooms!!! Even our room did not smell, but people do smoke in the balcony and we can smell it each time we leave the place. The double-bed room is quite small with very few spaces for walking. Bathroom is small as well, I would not recommend it if you have small children. Location is very noisy (just right in front of the highway). I would have to say that the beds are comfortable and breakfast acceptable, but did not worth the money paid. I would not stay again.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
OperationsMgr, Manager at Best Western Chula Vista/Otay Valley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2011

Dear cym3,
I first want to say thank you for your recent review on our hotel on Trip Advisor. We at the Best Western Plus Otay Valley are very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your experience with us. All of our smoking rooms are in fact located on the side of our hotel that is near the 805 freeway. I can see how your room would have been uncomfortable for you and of course we would love to have you come back and stay with us, and this time we would like to accommodate you in one of our beautiful, newly renovated non-smoking rooms on the other side of the property. We hope that we can offer you a much more satisfied stay and you and your family enjoy your time in southern California with us. If you would like, please feel free to contact management at the hotel directly at 619 422 2600 so that we can discuss your concerns in more detail. Thank you again for your review and have a great day!

Reviewed October 11, 2010

My husband and I recently stayed at this hotel and the room waas very nice, however after a few hours my husband had trouble breathing, he is in excellant health, not wure what it was. Once he stepped outside he was fine, but again after entering the room the breathing was bad again. Finally at 3:00 am, we decided it was not worth the risk amd had to leave, again once outside he was fine. I know they have recently redone the entire hotel, maybe it was a ordorless chemical in the carpet or paint??? Not sure, but a waste of $169 for only a few hours and no sleep :(

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
HotelManagement4450, Manager at Best Western Chula Vista/Otay Valley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2010

Dear Beaulily,
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. We at the Holiday Inn Express Chula Vista are very disappointed to hear that you feel you had a regrettable experience at our hotel. We apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced and want you to know that we take your comments very seriously and will investigate your concerns further. We sincerely care about the safety and comfort of our guests. Again, should you want to discuss this matter further with me, I ask that you contact management at the hotel directly, by calling 619 422 2600. Again, we thank you for your comments and hope that we can host you in the future.

Reviewed August 16, 2010

One wing of this hotel is very close to a very loud, busy freeway. Rooms on the east side facing the freeway are very noisy! When we booked, we requested two top floor rooms in a quiet location, but our requests were not honored. We were not on the top floor, and one of the rooms was on the east side. When we saw how loud that room was, we asked to be moved, but a room on the west side was not available due to hotel renovation. Staff was apologetic, but did not do anything for us. We would have moved to another hotel but it was too late at night, and we'd already been driving for 10 hours. We would not have booked this hotel had we known it was in such a noisy location or that it was under renovation.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends

Dear BirdingIsFun,
First off, thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. We at the Holiday Inn Express Chula Vista are dissapointed to hear that you felt your stay with us was not satisfactory. The renovations have been challenging for us as well, but we are excited about the beautiful new hotel rooms, and we hope that you will give us the opportunity to host you again, so that you can experience our exciting changes and renovations. Again, we thank you for your comments, and should you want to discuss your concerns further with us, we would love to hear from you. Please contact hotel management directly at 619 422 2600, so that we may better assist you.

Reviewed January 28, 2009

Great hotel near Coors Amphitheater. The rooms were nice and beds very comfortable. The breakfast was excellent and free! Great value and good family hotel. Will definately stay again.

• Stayed: January 2009
    • Check in / front desk
HotelManagement4450, Manager at Best Western Chula Vista/Otay Valley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2009

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on our hotel. We our happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have shared your great experience with our staff.

Reviewed April 29, 2008

I have stayed in plenty of Holiday Inn Express and let me say from the get go that this does not measure up to the rest of them! It is easy to tell that this an older "remodeled" hotel.

As I entered the front desk to check in there were about 5 employees just lounging around talking to each other, none of them seemed the least bit interested in checking me in! After I asked to check in one of them meandered around to the desk and acted as if I was interupting them. Right now the average room rate is $140.00 after the taxes are included, I tried to get the gov't rate and they didnt offer one, also the AAA rate is only about $10.00 cheaper.

The room was actually decent and clean. Very updated vanity, closets, etc. I dont think the ripped shower curtain was too much of a concern to the staff as water sprayed all over the bathroom when taking a shower!

It is in a great location as it is right off the 805. They have a pool and spa which was "closed, sorry for the inconvenience"!!! I stayed here because it was very close to where I needed to be the next morning...if I had to do it over again I would probably pay $90 on priceline and stay at a much nicer hotel and drive a little further!!!

Stayed: April 2008

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience at our hotel. I would like to apologize for all the inconvenience you received. All your concerns have been addressed to insure so this doesn’t occur again.

Reviewed February 4, 2008

Stayed at Holiday Inn Express Chula Vista for 3 nights during a West Coast business trip. I booked on line and received a AAA discount.
I paid $117 per night + tax.

I was pleasantly surprised at the nice demeanor of the front desk staff. Check in was quick.
I asked and was given a room away from the freeway. The room was good sized, with a king bed, microwave, small refrigerator, and high speed internet. The room was spotlessly clean and during my stay, the bed was always made up when I returned to the room in the evening.

I enjoyed the free breakfast (cheese omelets, pastries, fruits, cereal, coffee, juices, etc....)

The hotel was conveniently located next to the 805 freeway and San Diego proper was just minutes away.

Check out was a breeze.

I definitely will stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank E9erX30
HotelManagement4450, Manager at Best Western Chula Vista/Otay Valley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2009

We appreciate you taking the time to complete a review on our hotel. We are happy to know that you had a great stay!

Reviewed October 8, 2007

I read the past reviews that seemed very mixed. The address is wrong on this website. It's actually 4450 MAIN STREET.

I recently booked a Priority Club reward night stay here. From the hotel website, the Executive Level was recently remodeled.

The hotel is right next to the 805 Freeway.

Because this was a freebie night, I was expecting the worst room. To my surprise, we were given a really nice room that did not face the freeway. The room had plenty of dark oak wood panels and felt very new. The actual bathroom was small, but usuable with the vanity outside. It included a small dorm room size fridge, coffee maker and microwave oven. Also, the room had a iron and ironing board. This is probably an executive level room.

Didn't find the workout room though the website says there is one.

The beds were triple sheeted with 4 pillows each (2 hard and 2 soft). The sheets were much nicer that most hotel room sheets.

For priority club members, they gave you a welcome bag that included chips, bottled water, granola bar and a candy bar. Nice touch.

The hot tub and pool are small, but functional. We got a taste of what it would be like if we stayed on the side of the hotel facing the freeway and it would be very loud.

No complaints at all.

The expanded continental breakfast included two surpises -- hot cheese omlettes and bacon. It also had the hot cinnamon rolls, boiled eggs, fruit, english muffins, danishes, cereal (including instant oatmeal) as well as plenty of milk, coffee and fruit juices.

Lots of stuff nearby -- an overpriced gas station, 7-eleven just down the street as well as a mexican restaurant. On the other side of the freeway, they had a SoupPlantation and Kohls in a strip mall area. There were car dealerships further and on the street that lead to the Coors Ampitheater.

Mexico is about 2 miles down the 805.

The people working there at the desk seemed friendly enought and they had a computer in the lobby if you didn't bring your laptop (the place had free WiFi). Free coffee and lemonade were available in the lobby.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank Chrissypoo

Thank you for the great comments on our hotel! We have remodeled the entire hotel since your last stay. Our fitness center is on the first floor, west side of the hotel. Thank you once again.