“Worth the trip”

Tacos El Gordo De Tijuana
Ranked #3 of 428 Restaurants in Chula Vista
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Fast Food
Good for: Kids, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Worth the trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

Had the adobada tacos and they were sublime. For $2 it is probably the best food value out there. Had to mark down for atmosphere because there were some shady characters in that neighborhood, not sure I'd want to be there at night.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank broo53

San Diego, California
“Best adobada tacos ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

I love Tacos El Gordo! Too bad is not really close to where I live. They have the best adobada tacos you would ever taste. Cheap prices, awesome food...just go there!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Luca D
Los Angeles, California
“Best Tacos in the United States!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

I love this place. There's dog friendly outdoor seating. It gets super busy even on the weekdays starting after 8PM. Parking is very limited. All in all, my favorite is the adobado. I come here every time I come to San Diego. I can never get enough of this. The best tacos in the United States!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank nlee1220
Montreal, Canada
“So good!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

Spicy pork taco very good!! The place is always crowded, it shows it is good! Honestly, i did not Knowles the différence between all kind of tacos... Just took à chance on pork and bref.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank JOhanne42_12
San Diego, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,409 helpful votes
“Good for quick tacos but a bit over hyped....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

I've been to a ton of taco places here in San Diego. That's one of the best things I like about the restaurant scene here is all the Mexican restaurant places.

I have never been here before but some Mexicans recommended it as having the best tacos in San Diego. I've been to Tijuana before several times (albeit it's been a few years) and I loved the tacos there on the street.

The tacos were good but I would say it's a bit hyped up. I don't think it's worth the drive out here unless you were going to be in the area anyway. We had to go to Chula Vista anyway as we were going to the Seaworld Aquatica Waterpark, so we thought we'd try it out.

As other people mentioned, there is a line. Our friends told us that there is always a line. But it moves quickly. There are 4 lines as others mentioned depending on what you are ordering. The tacos are pretty small so as others mentioned, you have to order several of them or you won't be full. Still good value for the money at only $2 each. And you can pick from corn or flower tortillas.

There were LOTS of Mexicans eating here which is always a good sign. Don't get me wrong..they were good but I guess I was expecting something better. I'd go again if I was in the area but I wouldn't drive all the way here for just the tacos.

Also, as someone else mentioned, the quality of the meat just didn't seem that great. Personally, although more expensive, I find the tacos at a place like Puesto much tastier. (Yeah I know it's not Tijuana authentic style) but at least there the quality of the meats are really good.

They have several seats inside as well as a few tables outside. There is a drive through window as well. The parking lot was VERY full. In fact, we were lucky to get a parking spot as someone was just leaving but all the spots were full.

• Visited June 2013