See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed July 31, 2018

I reserve rooms for crews for our business that are coming in from out of town. So, this review is not so much for the rooms as it is for customer service, although I try and set our crews up in decent hotels so that should tell you what I think about the rooms, they look nice! We have used this hotel now for several weeks, we reserve three rooms for Mon-Fri, not only are their rates reasonable, but because I have to do this remotely, they are very professional as well as accommodating. They email me receipts after I make the reservation and they are just so pleasant to work with. If I were coming to SD from out of town, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here. Thanks Jay and Josefina!

Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
B D, Guest Relations Manager at Vagabond Inn Chula Vista, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2018

Julie, You are quite welcome, we thank you for the glowing review, it is so important to us to have diversity in our hotel (corporate travelers, vacationers as well as construction workers, single travelers) and we are very thankful for your workers that come and stay with us. We will pass along the compliments to our staff and we look forward to long and prosperous future with you!!

Reviewed July 26, 2018 via mobile

First of all I hate leaving a bad review & do not do so lightly. We drove over from Northern Arizona, arrived 2 hours prior to check in. When I inquired if it was possible to check in early I was told it would be an extra $25 for early check in. I checked the booking.com page for the hotel (who I booked through) under policies it said nothing about early check in fees. We opted to not pay the $25 for 2 hours. Came back at 3, staff was friendly & accommodating. We needed to leave for an event by 4. When I opened the door stale air slapped me in the face. Almost as if the room hadn't been aired out in years. It was 3:15, we didn't have time to go ask for another room since we both needed showers & to dress in now 45 min. We didn't return to the hotel until nearly midnight & was certain if we complained after having used the shower earlier nothing would have been done.
Thankfully I had a new bottle of Febreze in the truck, used the entire bottle in the room, it didn't touch the smell.
The carpet is old, worn & dirty, the chairs are stained on not only the back but also the seat. There were stains & dirt on the walls, doors, jams & knobs look like they were never cleaned. The switches in the bathroom were making a short noise & lights in the other parts of the room would glitch out when you would turn on the lights. The water pressure in the sink was nonexistent. The AC unit was full of dust in the vents.
The walls are paper thin, I could hear the radio in the room behind us & the TV in the room in front of us. All night long.
The neighborhood is an older section, but if you over look the age of the buildings it just looks like an old beach town, or more appropriately Hill Street in Oceanside during the 1980's.
After checking out this morning at 8am I looked at their website & the photos of the rooms on their site is nothing like the room we were given. Obviously they were staged rooms for photos.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple

We are very sorry that you had this experience, we do our best to have our rooms ready for check in, We are very sorry that the room was not ready, we can say it is always best to book through us not a 3rd party as we cannot guarantee their policies. We do not understand about the room needing airing out as we just cleaned it. We understand that you did not enjoy our neighborhood or our property and for that we are very sorry. We thank you for the heads up and will bring this up n our meeting to be more conscious of airing out the rooms as well as friendly customer service

Reviewed March 25, 2018

I've stayed at the Vagabond Inn in Chula Vista two separate times thus far and each time has been more than satisfactory. My room was clean and everything worked. The front desk hostess/clerk personally gave me an extra blanket upon my request.
A month or so passed and I stayed at the Vagabond Inn in Chula Vista again. I was reuniting with a long lost love and was so excited about seeing him that I dropped my wallet while I was unloading my car.
I didn't notice that I'd lost it until nearly an hour had passed. We looked everywhere. I finally thought I should just check in with the front desk and one of the cleaning women, Rosa, found it on the parking lot by my car. She turned it into the front desk. Ruth was working at the front desk that shift and returned it to me after I showed some other id (my car registration) proving it was truly my wallet. NOTHING was missing from my wallet!! I had over 3K in it as I was planning to buy some silver coins. I rewarded the cleaning lady/maid for finding it and turning it in. I will most definitely stay at the Vagabond Inn in Chula Vista when needed. The other employess, Josefina and Rag who also work at the front desk are very helpful, professional, and polite.
I would highly recommend this hotel. I also received my AAA card/membership discount. ; - ) Sincerely, Tracy Swain P.S. Peace & Love always and in all ways....

Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
J P, Manager at Vagabond Inn Chula Vista, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2018

We are so delighted to hear of your stay, your story is amazing from reuniting with a long lost love, to finding your wallet.. that can be so daunting when you lose it especially with a large amount of money in it!! We are so happy that we were able to get it returned to you safely and we are happy that you enjoyed our hotel and our services. We thank you for your loyalty and we do hope to see you again in the future. I will pass these compliments along to the staff. Thanks again for your business. Best of luck to you and be safe in your travels.

Reviewed January 9, 2018

So we stayed here last time and it was absolutely amazing, the lady in front helped us us and was so very nice. Unfortunately this stay 1/6/18 is not going well at all. The room we got was dirty, there were no trash cans, no towels, empty toilet paper rolls. We left for our doctor appointment and when we got back around 6 I called the front desk and the lady just told me well house keeping isn't here and there are towels here but you need to pick them up. Not a big deal except I raining really hard and it's windy. The customer service is not up to par on this trip and for paying 300+ you would think it would be.

Date of stay: January 2018
Trip type: Traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank dineromike
J P, Manager at Vagabond Inn Chula Vista, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2018

We absolutely understand and we are so very sorry for these circumstances, our cleaning staff is gone at that time, we are a limited service budget hotel, so we do our very best to accommodate you, however when the staff is gone at night we have a front desk clerk and it is policy for them to stay at the front desk, to greet new guests and answer the phone etc. we do keep extra towels and remotes and such, but will ask you to come to the front desk to retrieve them. We do understand and we are very sorry for the inconvenience. If however the cleaning staff is here during the day, we are happy to ask them to bring whatever you need to your room. Thank you for leaving this feedback and we do appreciate your business.

Reviewed November 30, 2017

This place was quite a bit better and had more amenities than Motel 6, which was actually more expensive over the Thanksgiving holiday. The facility was clean, quiet, and the staff were friendly and helpful. The continental breakfast and coffee were good.

Date of stay: November 2017
Trip type: Traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
J P, Manager at Vagabond Inn Chula Vista, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2017

Thank you for the shout out, we really do appreciate the compliments regarding our hotel and the staff, and we sure appreciate your business! Thanks again and we hope to see you again sometime!