“never never going back”

Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Chula Vista
Chula Vista, California
“never never going back”
Reviewed July 29, 2011

well we booked this due to free continental breakfast... upon arrival we were told there would be pastries between 7am-9:30am.. we were at reception at 9am nothing left.... no breaky for us on either day... bad bad service and poorly advertised....

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bjcontours68
J P, Manager at Vagabond Inn Chula Vista, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Thank you for the review this hotel has been changed and renovated. and it is very different now. Please come back thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Reviewed July 15, 2011

Beds are very comfy, pillows a bit overstuffed, bathrooms (shower especially) in very poor condition as I almost didnt want to step into the tub worried I could get a fungus on my fet, shower curtains are deteriorated, and the bathroom window was missing a glass panel (yes, imagine how old school is this place!!); but other than that, we spent 3 nights there the location was very good relative to the highway, fast food restaurants and even walmart ( where we bought waters and snacks )

The only thing is that we were wondering is how this place is rated #4 on trip advisor as it is a very avergae/poor hotel (more like a motel in any case).

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank Kandiaisa
J P, Manager at Vagabond Inn Chula Vista, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
We have upgraded this hotel, thank you.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 25, 2011

I flew a colleague of mine in from Chicago a few weeks back. Upon pulling into this roach motel, two prostitutes approached my car soliciting money. They told us that they were regulars there. When we made it to the lobby, the front desk agent was so pre- occuppied with her children that she gave me the wrong key to my room. (As if competing with children for the atttention of their mother just so that I could get into my room wasn't enough!!!) Upon finally getting into my, i was very displeased to see the false advertisement that this company portrays. My room was in decent condition, but there still were condom wrappers in the bath room trash can and it seemed as if the house keeper had forgot to take out the old towels and replace them with new ones! To make things worse, 2 weeks after check out I was charged $200 to my credit card for smoking in a non-smoking room. However my reservation clearly stated that i had reserved a SMOKING room but they still refused a refund. (maybe if the front desk agent would have had a babysitter that day, she could have been more focused on her job).

Long story short, the lack of proffesionalism at this property leads me to believe that almost anybody with the money to buy into a franchise opportunity can buy into a hotel chain ( especially VAGABOND INN.) Although the price may sound tempting, I WOULD RECCOMMEND NEVER TO STAY AT THIS PARTICULAR PROPERTY!!! BY DOING SO, YOU ARE ONLY GIVING YOUR INFORMATION TO CON- ARTISTS THAT TAKE ADVANTAGE OF PEOPLE AND HIDE BEHIND FINE PRINT IN ORDER TO JUSTIFY DOING SO!!!

A one day business trip where my room was advertised at $69.95 ended up costing me $300 (plus a headache) only because the owner was too prideful to admitt their shortcommings.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND TO SERIOUSLY CONSIDER BEFORE GIVING THESE PEOPLE ANY OF YOUR CREDIT CARD INFORMATION. EVEN IF IT IS ONLY SUPPOSED TO BE FOR A "DEPOSIT". i AM SURE YOU CAN FIND SOMETHING ELSE THAT IS REASONABLE WITHIN THE SAN DIEGO/ CHULA VISTA AREA. IT MAY NOT BE WORTH TAKING A CHANCE WITH YOUR MONEY!!

Like they say, "U pay less, you get less!" Take your time, look around. Hopefully this small advice can help you have a better stay in san diego than I did.

Room Tip: Stay away from vagabond Inn Chula Vista!!
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank englishbulldogg
J P, Manager at Vagabond Inn Chula Vista, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
We have a zero tolerance policy, we cooperate with the police department ALWAYS! This entire hotel has been upgraded and some renovations as well. We do not charge cards generally until check out. Although we DO enforce the non smoking policy. We understand that this stay was along time ago but we would still like to apologize for your inconvenience.
Biggera Waters, Australia
Reviewed September 18, 2010

I forgot to ask where they get their pillows from. Seriously they were the best we've ever slept on. My son and I agreed on that. Was worried about the trailer park next door but that didn't pose a problem at all. The first night though we did have people above us who decided to keep us awake half the night. Other than that all was good.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
J P, Manager at Vagabond Inn Chula Vista, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Thanks for the old review albeit older, we have upgraded a lot since your stay many years ago!
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed August 8, 2010

I have stayed in this hotel for years, I have never ever had a problem. I am safe and the rooms are great and the staff is awesome. I always feel very safe. The beds are comfortable and the hotel is clean.

You will not be sorry staying here at all.

In todays economy everyone can save a few dollars and have a great place to stay.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
J P, Manager at Vagabond Inn Chula Vista, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Although this review is old, we do appreciate all of the feedback and we have upgraded many things at this hotel. Please come and stay with us again soon!
Moreno Valley
Reviewed July 12, 2010

Stayed from Friday July 2-Sun July 4th for a baseball tournament just me (Mom) & 4 boys (17 yrs, 11 yrs, 5 yrs, & 3 yrs). Perfect hotel room with 2 rooms & 3 beds! The pool & jacuzzi were such a fun & relaxing activity to do at the end of every day! This hotel is also placed where you can travel to anywhere your family would want to go in San Diego at a reasonable price! We traveled to Coronado State Beach, Imperial Pier, Old Town San Digo & Seaport Village, plus lots of baseball fields! Staff was very helpful when you needed them & the complimentary breakfast every morning was yummy & plentiful!

• Stayed July 2010
Melbourne
Reviewed September 7, 2009

OK so your travelling to San Diego and thinking you might try and save a coupla bucks on accomodation. Well you will save them here, but may regret the experience. I was bushed having just driven from LA, so we asked for a couple of quiet rooms, which was a big mistake. Staff thought this was hilarious, and spent much of the night doing burn-outs, running up and down the balcony screaming and yelling stuff like "Do you think we're being quiet enough!?" and my in-laws were woken every few hours by the phone - a mexican pimp looking for his girls. I ripped through the manager in the morning, but he couldn't have cared any less. Rooms were dated and seedy, the only bonus was we weren't slaughtered in our sleep.

Best view of the Vagabond Inn Chula Vista is via the rear-view mirror.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business