“All the bad hotel cliches you ever heard , they are all here!!!”

Howard Johnson Inn And Suites San Diego Area/Chula Vista
Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Chula Vista
“All the bad hotel cliches you ever heard , they are all here!!!”
Reviewed June 14, 2014 via mobile

I am a frequent traveler and have stayed in all sorts of hotels from high end five star to creepy, sketchy off the highway motels. Okay, so that's that. All of those past times, I accepted what I paid for and moved on. Now this place wow....trash on the stairwell, people just hanging out shirtless at 1130pm, just too much going on and nothing appealing ...so my friend and my mom and I try to hurry into the room...and the door didn't even open until my friend had to push and kick it open. We walk in not expecting much but when we turn out the lights , the reality was more disgusting than we could have imagined. We were staying for 2 nights but by the time we scoped the room out and got settled I wanted to ditch right then .
Oh the discoveries made....really dirty couch , a trash can with previous guest's garbage ( gross!!!!!!), comforter looked unwashed and it was sticky from spilled soda and there was a dark stain. The smell in the room is so musky and dusty, even the bedding reeks of it .i didn't even want to see the kitchen . Old , rusty appliances and the bed bugs and the smell in here is sticking to me. Then of course the tub is a safety hazard with no foot grip and is so slippery and toilet is stained and rusty ( and small!!?) and doesn't flush well.
So what did I do on the first hour here ? My friend and I quickly re did our weekend trip and booked a hotel in LA and decided to change the course of this trip completely.

And we decided for the Rip Off price of 168.00 for 2 nights, I will take the hit for 2nd night and go farrrrr away from
here...I will pretend this was a really bad gambling experience and ditch the second night.
Sorry San Diego !

*****- I have never written a review before for a hotel and I really had to for this ... Also, I have never ditched a hotel after paying for it- so just imagine how bad it really is here .

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Deja S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Korean first
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed March 19, 2014

After reading the many negative reviews, we were initially a bit nervous to stay at this hotel. However, our week long stay while visiting San Diego was very enjoyable. First off, it is important to keep in mind the low price of this hotel. Yes it is old and not in a very central neighbourhood, but it boast great value and is located near many good restaurants and within walking distance of the trolley station where you can be downtown in 20 minutes. The room was very clean and renovated. Also, it was equipped with a full kitchen, a separate bedroom, a living room and an office area. This came as a big surprise as the price was so reasonable. The hotel had 24 hour security and each staff member was both helpful and accommodating. There was also complimentary pastries and beverages supplied in the morning which was another highlight. The cleaning staff did an excellent job at cleaning are room and restocking our toiletries everyday without interfering with our schedules. Overall, as students visiting San Diego for Spring Break, we were quite impressed with the services offered by this hotel at such a low cost.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Taylor A
Southern California
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I was happy I was able to get a room during one of the most crowded events for San Diego (ComicCon) but was truly apprehensive to stay based on the previous reviews here. But, I decided to chance it and be objective based on my own experience. Having said that, I have to say that it's not really worth the savings or the peace of mind for me as a lone business traveler. Ideally, I would not like to see part of the door lock cover on the ground before I even try to step into the room. I also don't expect cigarette burns on the carpet and floor even though it was a smoking room. Then there shouldn't be rust spots in the bathroom or the possibility of me falling through the floor of the bathtub while I'm taking a shower. I could mention that the towels were so old they felt like sandpaper on my skin and the bedcover was just as crispy old as the towels. Although the bed was soft but firm, the sheets were noticeably old with holes. The overall decor is dated probably can say from the late 70's-early 80's. The neighborhood was kinda iffy in that is it right next to the trolley station. It is a major convenience for someone who needs to be in the downtown area easily, so that would be the only plus-side to this hotel. My overall recommendation would be to avoid this hotel if possible. The savings was not worth the amenities provided in the condition it was in. Unfortunately I did not take photos for fear of breaking my lens from bad images.

Room Tip: if you have to stay here, pick a room upstairs if you don't mind climbing stairs or atleast insi...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Metravelnow
iNDY
Reviewed July 1, 2013

dont do it- partyheads at 2am, plastic on windows, roaches keep you company... all this to save a few bucks- Not even! this is a bad place you will regret. stinks. dirty showers nasty floor makes the hotel 8 look like the conrad hilton!

Room Tip: another hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank dsteiner3
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We decided on a whim to stay another night in San Diego so we looked up the closest place; we found this one & since we were getting low on cash booked here. First, the pool has a sign that says anyone who's had diarrhea in the last 14 hrs can't be in the pool. We got into our room and it was just nasty. I'm not sure where the pictures they have posted are coming from, but they look like a totally different hotel. Cigarette burns everywhere, even on the tub; the wall behind the toilet was horribly patched, nothing looked like it had been washed except for the towels. We didn't see any roaches so we just dropped our stuff & left. When we came back at midnight, we checked out the mattress & found evidence of bed bugs. Not wanting to bring them home with us, we left & were told that we'd have to call the manager Cheryl in the AM to see about getting a refund. The clerk didn't deny the bedbugs or even ask what we had found that would make us think that. Of course, Cheryl completely refused to give us a refund and denied they had a problem. When we told her we had pictures she screamed at us telling us "No refund!" and hung up on us.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Horrible accommodations! Infested with bed bugs and cockroaches! Owner and management staff were less than accommodating! Will NEVER return or recommend to anyone!!! Worst stay ever! This place is dirty and we would have been better and cleaner staying in our car, or even in an alley! brings a ahole new meanig to a run down roach motel! The traveler inn & suites in san diego makes Motel 6 look like the Ritz! The owner and management were very rude and less than accommodating. The would not even let us have 2 additional pillows!

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank Mellylynn14
Reviewed November 1, 2012 via mobile

There isn't any spa and the pool isn't heated. The place is so nasty nothing like the website indicates. I went into rm 219 where the sheets were dirty and all wrinkled like they didn't even change them. 1st thing I noticed was the moldy musty odor and nickel size cigarette burn in the ugly bedspread. Then it was the mismatch paint on the walls with sloppy caulking/patches from fights or something. The tv sat on a night stand much lower than the tall bed. The place just was real lowlife trash. Office comment about sheets "we don't do plancha", she is Oriental and I am as white as my Irish ancesters, so why is she talking to me in Spanglish? Plancha = Iron very poor attitude/customer service. I told my BF who was out working at the time & had not seen what he paid for to do something about it, because I'm out of here. No trash for me I deserve far better than the slums.

• Stayed November 2012