“Good cheap motel for San Diego area”

Motel 6 San Diego - Chula Vista
Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in Chula Vista
San Pedro Sula
“Good cheap motel for San Diego area”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2010

This motel is on E Street, directly across the street from the E Street trolley station. Extremely convenient for getting on the trolley to get around. The area of town is not the best. I walked around and did not feel unsafe, but the motel has 2 full time night security guards outside and they lock one of the gates to the parking lot, so I assume it was not the best area. I felt very safe about my car and room knowing the guards were there. Complaint: the shower was made for a person 4' 6" tall and I don't know too many of them. I am short, 5' 7" and the shower pointed at my collar bone! Are you kidding me??? I don't like having to duck to shampoo my hair. The room was tinier than most Motel 6 single rooms. But it was clean, the people nice, loads of tourist info in the lobby, etc. Way cheaper than downtown SD.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
San Diego, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2010

I actually stayed here several times, and the price is right, for sure, but the staff is for the most part, not very friendly, or even what you could call nice. But at about $45 a night before taxes, (special internet rate for 2 people) I suppose I shouldn't complain. One of the women that works there in the evening was more pleasant than the others, but for the most part the other women at the desk didn't seem to care very much, and one even left us waiting for a little while while she chatted on the phone with someone. Also, they must have issues with some of the people that come onto the property at night, because they make a copy of your ID, and the ID of any other guests in the room, and they make you sign this little sheet of paper saying that if you have any visitors, you'll have them sign in.

The place is really not bad, and they have a pretty decent pool, but everything (if they even offer it) is extra. I think they do have coffee in the reception area in the morning, but that's about it. I guess they also allow pets, because one time we stayed there, there was a cat in the window of the room next door. I did appreciate that they actually had a drain stopper for the tub though, so I didn't have to try and improvise with a washcloth or shower cap. I found that I could stay at the Best Western across the street for only $5 more per night (another special internet rate), so they probably won't have my business again unless the Best Western stops offering nearly the same price for much friendlier service, decor, and rooms with fridges and microwaves.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2009

Last exit before mexico. Its really cheap.. Yes doesn't come with soaps etc.. stupid, but at $45 a night 5-10 miles from Imperial Beach, what more car you ask for? Really Great. Paid $250 a night at Hotel Circle, and those rooms ARE SMALLER THEN THESE! Good sized rooms. Good beds. Just a backpackers stay to visit San Diego, Surf spot Imperial Beach. Go to oldtown San Diego. Downtown, and the harbour. Have an Aircraft Carrier there with a tour i think it was like $9 or so... Pretty cool. BTW Hotel I think does have a pool. I didn't care, i just wanted to surf and backpack. But yeah.

Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
Manchester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2009

We stayed in San Diego the weekend of comic con - I think every hotel room was booked at least eight months in advance, so we were forced to stay a bit further out in Chula Vista. I had read the previous reviews and so was kind of prepared for our stay. Room very basic and smelled of smoke (even though we booked a non smoking room), however it was clean and it's location next to the trolley was perfect for travelling both to Mexico and downtown San Diego. I would recommend this Motel as long as you are realistic about what you are getting.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
OFYTeacher
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2009

It seems like the quality Motel 6 can really vary from motel to motel. This one is on the lower end of the spectrum. The hotel was not in the greatest area of town. While we were there, a huge argument broke out a couple of rooms down and somebody threw a chair through the window. The beds weren't very comfortable and the pillows were pretty flat.

Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank OFYTeacher
San Diego
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2009

I stayed at this Motel 6 last night, knowing that its a, you know...Motel 6...not the greatest. When we got there it was alright, just like any other one. I noticed since it was so close to the 5 freeway that we could hear it. I thought no big deal, its not THAT loud. Well in the middle of the night the frieght train comes through there and it is sooooooooooooo LOUD it scared the crap outta me. It went on FOREVER. Then it left, and CAME BACK. It's a horrible location. The room was clean...BUT the beds are so freaking hard, and they only give you 2 flat pillows and I was there with my fiance, so we had to each sleep with one and fold it for more padding. I guess we for sure for what we paid for. Hmmmm. To say the least, we will NEVER be going back.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SOcal_Girly
San Juan Capistrano, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2008

Stayed at this hotel for the fourth of july weekend, i had a conference in nearby DT San diego, Nice and convient to trolley. The hotel itself is ok has a weird policy about keeping a photocopy of your driver license on file with the police dept. the room was a little small but comfortable, after 9 security locked the gate and only registered guests may enter parking lot. also police circle hotel frequently. i was up at 2:30 one night and looked out my window and saw police with dogs searching the grounds (for what i dont know). I would consider staying here again in the future

• Liked — Great Value
  • Disliked — Check-In Process
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business