“good value for the price close to San Diego”

Quality Inn Chula Vista San Diego South
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Chula Vista
Gainesville, United States
“good value for the price close to San Diego”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

I was skeptical about the hotel based on the reviews. It appears only some of the rooms are renovated. I opted to pay a little more for the deluxe suite and I was very glad I did. I attended a conference in San Diego for a week and the hotel was conveniently located a block from the blue line, takes about 20 min to get to the convention center. My biggest complaint is the commuters on the blue line train. It almost always smelled of pot and there were always very rude, obnoxious people on the train. Other than that, I had a very nice experience on my stay.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
California
Reviewed November 14, 2013

This hotel is ideally located just half a block from I-5 in Chula Vista, Ca. Some of the features that makes this Best Western move to the top of my list of all the Best Western hotels I've stayed in recently: free parking, parking in front of or near your room (not down 100 yds of hallways), the staff is very, very friendly and it's obvious that they truely "care", newly renovated rooms with granite counter tops and desk top/stainless steel refer and microwave/two tone paint/new contemporary carpeting/newly resurfaced parking lot/a great breakfast and breakfast area/newly resurfaced pool/and........the price is right!

This hotel has the most comfortable beds (I've stayed in three different rooms here) of all the Best Western hotels I've stayed in, in the past year (17 Best Western hotels)....and so it deserved a seperate paragraph just for this.

Within a block you'll find Black Angus, Denny's, IGA market, laundry, touchless car wash, AM/PM and McDonald's.

This hotel is definately the best bang for the buck in this area. You will not find another hotel of this class, in this area, for this price and.......with a truely and genuinely friendly staff!

My photos speak for themselves as I found this hotel to be in mid Nov. 2013.

Room Tip: I've been in double qeen beds and single king bed rooms and they were/are both great!
2 Thank JCZhome
Mesa, United States
Reviewed November 14, 2013

The Hotel was nice and clean. The hotel staff was very helpful and responded to the one problem we had. It is next to the MTS train station so it's convienent to get everywhere in the San Diego area and would definately recommend it. The price was excellent.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed November 14, 2013

The Ritz it's ain't but it is not a bad place. Classical motel setup, with good-sized rooms that have a fridge and a microwave. Everything is very clean. And everybody was very friendly. The neighborhood is not exactly scenic (Motel 6 and McDonald's across the street, Denny's and Taco Bell next door, strip mall a bit further etc) but it felt perfectly safe.

A big advantage is that the San Diego Trolley station is right next door, about 2 minutes walking. I used to rent a car in San Diego but the trolley takes out all the hassle and expense out of driving and parking. If where you want to go is near the trolley system, it is so much easier. I was attending a conference at the Conference Center and it worked perfectly.

They have the European-style soap dispensers that some don't seem to like. I think they are fine and save on packaging. Problem was mine was out of shower gel. I told them and even THEN it was not refilled. I used the small facial bar they left in addition so it was not a problem but I wished they had refilled the dispenser at least after it told them it was empty.

On the other hand, when I asked for smaller bills for the trolley (as of now, the trolley ticket machines do not take credit cards, it says they will in the future), the receptionist not only gave me $5.- bills for my $20.- but she also gave me a 'loaner' Compass card (the card you need to use the trolley and buses). Of course you can buy one at the machine for $2.- but I thought it was a nice touch that they provide this service.

Overall, this is not a fancy place but clean, safe, friendly and reasonably priced. Access to the trolley is a big plus

1 Thank ErnestFromBaltimore
San Francisco, California
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Again, you get what you paid for. Though you cannot argue with free breakfast and free parking! I didn't really like their doors -- either they need to update it or fix it because my parent's always had trouble getting into their room throughout the entire stay. Other than that, it was pretty good.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
chula vista
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Made reservation direct with hotel, answered all questions I had about location and room amenities. When checking in I was greeted a beautiful smile and very warm greeting. I was upgraded because I was a first time customer which I appreciated. Room was great included a refrigerator and microwave. Nice big fluffy chair to sit and enjoy the LCD TV. Best part in mourning going to the breakfast room again greeted so warm and friendly and fresh waffles, pastries, eggs and so much more

HAVE FOUND MY PERMANENT HOTEL IN THE SAN DIEGO AREA

Room Tip: Trolley right next door so if light sleeper probally room by pool quieter
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Colorado Springs, United States
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Good hotel..nice renovations, nice staff at check in and check out. When I was leaving I thought I had pre-paid my first night, however I did not have a receipt the manager Ross said for me to call him once I get home and look at my bank statement and he would take care of it..However within 24 hours as we were driving back to Colorado it was already credited to our account, he must have found the credit it...MUCH APPRECIATED

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family