“a little common sense for the budget oriented traveler....”
Review of South Bay Inn

South Bay Inn
Ranked #6 of 21 Hotels in Chula Vista
Monmouth, Oregon
“a little common sense for the budget oriented traveler....”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

This place is a bit dated. The amenities are not 'top drawer'. Is it comfortable? Yes. Is it convenient? Yes. Is it clean? Yes. Is the service good? Yes? We try to use our travel budget intelligently, and have realized that we don't spend much time (awake) in our room. We are out and about and seeing good stuff. We routinely rent a car (mass transit is CLOSE here) and we tend to sleep shower and rest only in our room, so we aslked ourselves, what do you really need? Our answer was reasonable cost, some amenities, access to roads (and Starbucks), a decent bed, a clean bath and pool and/or hot tub. These things are available for a reasonable cost, if you spend some time looking. We don't don't need expensive rooms, room service, gawdy baths, or high prices. This hotel met our expectations without any difficulty. Is it "excellent"? No. Was it good enough and inexpensive? Yes. I hesitate to compare to the Hotel Del Coronado, but then again =, we paid less than 25% of the cost of staying at the Hotel Del. The Hotel is a wonderful place, but we stopped there and had one beer each. Nothing exotic, just a coupla beers. With tip, $30. At the Best Western, there was a steak house across the street that feed us both, (we had steaks) inclluding drinks and desert for around $60, and it was very nice. I recommend this hotel, and this concept of reasonably priced travel, because in the end, I came to see other things, (Balboa Park), and spent my time and money there. Think it over. What do you want? How much can you afford? What is you real destination?

Room Tip: Not everything is available here, but it is close by.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Mike D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
West Hills, Ca
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Some sites show this place as a 3 star. We were very surprised how tacky it was. They reserved a smoking room for us, which we did not want. When I called to see about fixing this error, I was told they had no more non smoking king rooms but they could put us in a double queen for another $10. Amazingly, when we arrived an hour later and my very large boyfriend went into the office, they'd had a cancellation and our non smoking room was available. The card keys often did not work and the gentleman in the room next to us also struggled with his. There were only two smallish bath towels and one washcloth. I found a housekeeper and asked for additional towels. The next evening, I called front desk to ask for fresh towels and again, two small bath towels and a single washcloth were delivered. Why the aversion to hand towels and why only one washcloth for two guests? There was a fly in the bathroom upon arrival. During our two night stay, we dealt with a total of three flies and never figured out why. The paint in the bathroom was old and chipping, showing many layers and a variety of past colors. The bottom of the wall next to the bathroom door was actually eroding. There was a chunk of wall missing. A foot or so further up the wall were a few small spots and a smear of what appeared to be dried blood. The bathtub had a large section that looked as if it had peeled away, causing a discoloration. The drain didn't drain and the caulking had mildew. Wifi was very weak, continental breakfast barely so-so, and the coffee in the room was horrible. Thankfully, the toilet and the bedsheets were clean. I've stayed at 3 star properties that were amazing. Best Western should be ashamed of this dump.

Room Tip: I'm not sure there are any "good rooms".
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Maria J
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed September 25, 2012

My friend and I stayed here for one night a few weeks ago. Our check-in time was listed as 3:00. We checked-in at 3:15. When we got down to our room they were not only still cleaning it, but they were also doing maintenance work. We waited for about 15 minutes thinking they just had a few things to finish. We ended up going back to the front desk where they assigned us a new room...which was also still being cleaned. We didn't get into our 3rd and final room until about 4pm. The lady at the the front desk didn't really seem to care that our room wasn't ready, nor did they seem very organized. We went out for a concert that night and didn't return to our room till almost 2am. Upon our return, the smoke detector kept going off due to a low battery. We called the front desk and they didn't do anything about it. My friend had to get on the table to silence the alarm, which started going off about 5 hours later.

Bottom line: the customer service here is complete crap. Book your hotel elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

1 Thank Kristen W
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Ac don't cool it only noice the room smell s like pe dirty carpets I don't came back again . The prices are ok but the room are terrible for the same price I boo it at best western americana in san isidro just few milles away .

• Stayed September 2012
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

2 Thank yser1000
Maplewood, Minnesota
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Our nightly rate came up to about $42 a night around Christmas. The room was clean, big enough and had all the things we wanted. Wifi signal was weak, but everything else in the room worked. For a place that offers all that plus breakfast in the San Diego area, it's a deal. Not to mention the proximity to Silver Strand/Coronado and the IGA grocery store next door.

Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Jim O
Downey, California
Reviewed August 13, 2012

This is lengthly but I hope you read to the end............I wish I had read some of these reviews before I booked our room. After reading the reviews(a little late now), some of the same things guests complained about are still true today. I stayed there this past weekend (Aug. 11th & 12th) and the carpets are still dirty, the outlets are too large that it won't hold a plug. The wallpaper was slightly coming off the edges of the wall which make it look tattered. The hotel manager was a JERK. They demand payment upon arrival for the first night of stay even though they have your credit card on file. I actually saw the hotel manager and a maintenance man remove another guests personal belongings out of their room because they had not paid for that night's stay. Within approximately 2 hours of that happening, I then saw the manager and maintenance man carting back their belongings. To me this is just unacceptable behavior. I personally had had an issue with the manager regarding payment on Saturday. Since, the person had only charged us for the one night's stay upon arrival(which I found odd), I was not told I needed to come in before check-out time which is 11:00 a.m. and pay for that night. At approximately 12:15 p.m. Saturday, I received a very rude phone call from the manager, not requesting payment but demanding I come pay for the room now. I tried to explain to him that I had been up since 4:30 a.m. and was trying to take a nap and that I would be over shortly. That wasn't good enough for him. He once again insisted that I come pay for the room. Needless to say, I went to the office where I came face to face with him. I, once again tried to explain to him that he had had my credit card on file and if for any reason I had to leave on an emergency or otherwise that the card was on file. He didn't seem to care how I felt or what my concern was so long as he had payment. I told him I don't know what kind of hotel you're running here(he interrupted me), his response was "A damn good one" as he walked away. It seems to me his only objective is to have a full house everynight. Regardless of how he achieves it. Of course, we understand we have to pay for the room. But in my eyes their way or rather "his way" of doing business is not within a standard way of any reputable hotel I've ever stayed at. As to whether they are still copying our credit cards, I didn't see that. They obviously are still having problems with the keys. We were locked out twice as well as some other guests. And, this thing with giving keys to the regulars (mentioned in another review). This is definitely bothersome. I hope they're no longer doing this. The hotel photos shown are obviously dated because I didn't feel the property looked as nice on our stay. We ended up at this hotel as a result of availability and affordability. We were in town for a 5k run which was at Petco Stadium and most hotels in the area booked so we needed a place to stay. On a positive note, I have to say that the beds and pillows were comfortable. Access to the trolley is within a very short walk from hotel. You can take it to the US/Mexico border or to downtown San Diego. This is a great form of transportation if you are unfamiliar with the area. Not to mention, the savings on gas. There is a great restaurant right next door (Aunt Emma's - check out my review on them). Housekeeping staff were pleasant and helpful. Front desk were also helpful, but unfortunately having to work under manager's direction. Would I stay there again? Maybe. But, I would definitely check current reviews before doing so.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Hercor Hotel - Urban Boutique
#3 of 21 in Chula Vista
Holiday Inn Express San Diego South - Chula Vista
Best Western Plus Marina Gateway Hotel

Been to South Bay Inn? Share your experiences!