“This hotel sucks!”

Quality Inn Chula Vista San Diego South
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Chula Vista
Reviewed September 25, 2012

My friend and I stayed here for one night a few weeks ago. Our check-in time was listed as 3:00. We checked-in at 3:15. When we got down to our room they were not only still cleaning it, but they were also doing maintenance work. We waited for about 15 minutes thinking they just had a few things to finish. We ended up going back to the front desk where they assigned us a new room...which was also still being cleaned. We didn't get into our 3rd and final room until about 4pm. The lady at the the front desk didn't really seem to care that our room wasn't ready, nor did they seem very organized. We went out for a concert that night and didn't return to our room till almost 2am. Upon our return, the smoke detector kept going off due to a low battery. We called the front desk and they didn't do anything about it. My friend had to get on the table to silence the alarm, which started going off about 5 hours later.

Bottom line: the customer service here is complete crap. Book your hotel elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
1  Thank Kristen W

Reviewed September 16, 2012

Ac don't cool it only noice the room smell s like pe dirty carpets I don't came back again . The prices are ok but the room are terrible for the same price I boo it at best western americana in san isidro just few milles away .

• Stayed: September 2012
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
2  Thank yser1000
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Our nightly rate came up to about $42 a night around Christmas. The room was clean, big enough and had all the things we wanted. Wifi signal was weak, but everything else in the room worked. For a place that offers all that plus breakfast in the San Diego area, it's a deal. Not to mention the proximity to Silver Strand/Coronado and the IGA grocery store next door.

Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Jim O
Reviewed August 13, 2012

This is lengthly but I hope you read to the end............I wish I had read some of these reviews before I booked our room. After reading the reviews(a little late now), some of the same things guests complained about are still true today. I stayed there this past weekend (Aug. 11th & 12th) and the carpets are still dirty, the outlets are too large that it won't hold a plug. The wallpaper was slightly coming off the edges of the wall which make it look tattered. The hotel manager was a JERK. They demand payment upon arrival for the first night of stay even though they have your credit card on file. I actually saw the hotel manager and a maintenance man remove another guests personal belongings out of their room because they had not paid for that night's stay. Within approximately 2 hours of that happening, I then saw the manager and maintenance man carting back their belongings. To me this is just unacceptable behavior. I personally had had an issue with the manager regarding payment on Saturday. Since, the person had only charged us for the one night's stay upon arrival(which I found odd), I was not told I needed to come in before check-out time which is 11:00 a.m. and pay for that night. At approximately 12:15 p.m. Saturday, I received a very rude phone call from the manager, not requesting payment but demanding I come pay for the room now. I tried to explain to him that I had been up since 4:30 a.m. and was trying to take a nap and that I would be over shortly. That wasn't good enough for him. He once again insisted that I come pay for the room. Needless to say, I went to the office where I came face to face with him. I, once again tried to explain to him that he had had my credit card on file and if for any reason I had to leave on an emergency or otherwise that the card was on file. He didn't seem to care how I felt or what my concern was so long as he had payment. I told him I don't know what kind of hotel you're running here(he interrupted me), his response was "A damn good one" as he walked away. It seems to me his only objective is to have a full house everynight. Regardless of how he achieves it. Of course, we understand we have to pay for the room. But in my eyes their way or rather "his way" of doing business is not within a standard way of any reputable hotel I've ever stayed at. As to whether they are still copying our credit cards, I didn't see that. They obviously are still having problems with the keys. We were locked out twice as well as some other guests. And, this thing with giving keys to the regulars (mentioned in another review). This is definitely bothersome. I hope they're no longer doing this. The hotel photos shown are obviously dated because I didn't feel the property looked as nice on our stay. We ended up at this hotel as a result of availability and affordability. We were in town for a 5k run which was at Petco Stadium and most hotels in the area booked so we needed a place to stay. On a positive note, I have to say that the beds and pillows were comfortable. Access to the trolley is within a very short walk from hotel. You can take it to the US/Mexico border or to downtown San Diego. This is a great form of transportation if you are unfamiliar with the area. Not to mention, the savings on gas. There is a great restaurant right next door (Aunt Emma's - check out my review on them). Housekeeping staff were pleasant and helpful. Front desk were also helpful, but unfortunately having to work under manager's direction. Would I stay there again? Maybe. But, I would definitely check current reviews before doing so.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank litemeupliz
Reviewed July 18, 2012

It's slightly better than motel 6 because it has a fridge and microwave. Room looks outdated; tub plug doesn't work; toilet runs; front door hard to open w key. I'd say this hotel is worth $50 a night NOT $63.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank KiowaPilotWife
Reviewed July 1, 2012

We booked a room due to my hubs having emergency gall bladder surgery while sightseeing in San Diego. We were given a fair rate for a last minute booking. Room was spacious with lots of counter space in the bathroom, comfortable beds and 4 fluffy pillows on each! Hotel was quiet at night in room 159...near breakfast room. Waffles, 4 selections of cereal, fruit, juice, coffee, danish and boiled eggs were available with lots of seating inside and out. Enough outlets for our phones and tablets. Trolley stop was next door but noise didn't keep us up at night. Aunt Emmas was next door for breakfast (we didn't have time) and Taco Bell and Denneys are walking distance.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank mrsanderson
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Stayed here Memorial Day weekend 2012: Room was next to pool that desperately needed cleaning, noisy at night and window/door seals were so bad it sounded like the crowd was in my room. I reported that the A/C unit didn't work (no cooling, just a noisey fan) and that the convenience safe was inoperable and got a apologetic shrug from the staff but no repairs. Sliding windows in bathroom and front of room missing locks until I pointed it out to the staff, then they found a set of slider blocks. Room was surface cleaned, but many stains in carpet and on bathroom fixtures. The free continental breakfast was cheerios and stale pastrys.

Crowning touch was the cockroaches I surprised during the night when I used the bathroom.

Not worth the cheap price I got at Hotels.com-unless you want to rent by the hour....

Room Tip: Avoid..pay the extra for a nice place