“Comfort and hospitality”

Ranked #1 of 1 Chula Vista B&B and Inns
Portland, Oregon
“Comfort and hospitality”
Reviewed August 3, 2010

While visiting the San Diego area for a wedding and a little R & R, my husband and I made the mistake of allowing website photos of a promising hotel entice us to make reservations. Once we arrived, I seriously almost cried. Nothing was as it said or looked. After 24 hours, and a very terrible night sleep, we searched for another place to stay. Luckily we found El Primero B & B. We prayed that the pictures were showing a true representation of the accommodations. We were so happy when we checked in. Sol and Pie were superb hosts, making us feel like we were special guests. The place was very clean and welcoming. Although it is situated on a fairly busy street, it was extremely quiet and we slept like babies. The morning buffet breakfast was perfect and gave a good reason to relax and sit outside in the beautiful little courtyard and enjoy our food ( and a little conversation with Pie). We truly enjoyed our time spent, and the company of the hosts. The El Primero is most definitely a place we will recommend to others.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 2, 2010

We had a beautiful room (Montezuma room), was very clean, comfy bed, and was quieter than I had expected! Only downside is the window looks out onto the courtyard, so not very private. You need to draw the curtains. We stayed during Comic-con and found it very easy to get around.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Arizona
Reviewed July 21, 2010

This is not a big fancy hotel chain type of place but I have nothing bad to say about this hotel at all. I thought it was hard to find a decent place to stay in Chula Vista, and this little place exceeded my expectations! The owners are the nicest people and my room was very clean (small room but very cozy) and the breakfast courtyard is so cute! I also felt very safe in this hotel. The owner map quested everywhere we had to go for us and even offered us his GPS if we needed it. I just cant say enough about this hotel and the owners. I wouldnt stay anywhere else!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 12, 2010

My expectations were pleasantly exceeded! I was visiting Chula Vista to see the Kings of Leon perform at the Cricket Wireless Amphitheatre. This was my first time staying at a bed & breakfast and after acknowledging all the great reviews here, I gave El Primero a chance. My friend and I loved the hotel from the moment we spoke to Pie and Sol. They were so friendly and personable. Our room, the Del Coronado, was beautiful and clean and we had no problem with feeling at home. We slept very well that night and awoke to a delicious complimentary breakfast. Also, the b&b is located at the edge of downtown and not very far away from a shopping mall. There were various restaurants to choose from and coffee shops (yes, even Starbucks) close by when we wanted something to sip and munch on. Everything was conveniently located for us. It was without a doubt that El Primero completed our vacation. I believe that if we stayed at a generic hotel, we may not have enjoyed our trip to the San Diego area very much. Our memories are all warm and good. I'm so glad we stayed there and I definitely recommend El Primero. Thank you, Pie and Sol!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Lake Havasu City, Arizona
Reviewed June 19, 2010

My wife and I spent four nights at the El Primero while she attended a class nearby. We found the rooms to clean and comfortable and simply have no complaints to speak of. The very special part of this hotel are the owners -- Pie and Sol. We enjoyed our conversations with them and the hospitality they provide made us feel we were staying with family. We will stay at the El Primero the next time we are in the San Diego area.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed June 3, 2010

There's a reason El Primero reviews are over the top. You only need to stay a night to get it. I was fortunate enough to stay 4 nights and truly felt like I was leaving family when I hugged Pie and Sol goodbye. I even shed a tear or two, for goodness sake! Rather than repeat what everyone else said, I will only elaborate on one or two things (Lilacab's May 24, 2010 could've been written by me).

I had a friend from Poway come stay with me the first night, and she said she will put El Primero at the top of her list when recommending San Diego area accommodations; and over the past 25 years, friends and family have stayed many places. Mind you...Poway is about a 40 minute drive from Chula Vista, so you can tell she was bowled over. Being female and traveling alone, my main goal was to feel safe and be close to family I was visiting in the area. You have to understand that while Pie and Sol have an area home, they basically live at the El Primero, so in essence, it really is their home and it feels like it. Pie will proudly tell you that the Chula Vista police have not paid a call the past 5 years (on his watch so to speak). I felt perfectly safe leaving my windows open at night and letting all that wonderful night air lull me to sleep as I rested on that dream of a bed (with four pillows to choose from! four!). This was not only in a first floor room facing the locked courtyard but also in a first floor room facing the parking lot! (yes, I was lucky and got to try 2 of the 20 rooms)

Third Avenue is the main drag in Chula Vista, and everything you could possibly want is either within walking distance or an easy drive. It's also easily accessible to the freeways and a quick 15 minute hop to the airport. I had absolutely no trouble finding my way back home every night from wherever I was!

I have absolutely nothing negative to say about this gem of a boutique hotel, but I will recommend that if you are booking as part of a package (Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, etc.), you might want to play it safe and call Pie and Sol directly a couple days after booking to make sure they have received your reservation, and you get the type of room you need.

Can't wait to return to San Diego and stay with my "cousins" Pie and Sol again!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank janea54
Escondido, California
Reviewed June 2, 2010

The building is extremely old. The rooms ARE NOT clean. There were hairs on the floor and towels, the comforter was stained, there was a dead spider on the wall, and rust came out of shower head when we opened it. There was a rose in the room, which would have been a nice touch if it was still alive! Additionally, the total price $135.00, I don't consider this inexpensive. For a bit more you can stay at a much nicer hotel.
I don't recommend this hotel. Our so much anticipated vacation was ruined. I would not like for others to experience what we did.

Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Chula Vista Inn
Chula Vista Inn
#10 of 20 in Chula Vista
Best Western Plus Marina Gateway Hotel

Been to El Primero Boutique Bed & Breakfast Hotel? Share your experiences!