“Excellent Dinner at Dusk”
Review of South Bay Fish & Grill - CLOSED

South Bay Fish & Grill
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Scenic view, Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We were visiting family in the San Diego area. We went out for dinner at dusk and the sunset view from our seat by the window and outside was spectacular. All the dinners were excellent, but the best was the stuffed salmon with crab. It was the best my wife and I had ever eaten. The bread, salads and clam chowder were excellent.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Ate their last week. In short: (1) Good location at the marina - especially at sunset with a drink at a window table. (2) Good bar with decent prices, but waited quite a bit to be served while sitting harbor side. (3) Good wine list tho they didn't have the Cakebread chard - the 3 subs brought by the manager didn't match up, but at least he tried to please. (4) The sushi bar - a new addition since we last ate at SBF&G a year ago - was disappointing. You want sushi - go to a REAL sushi bar! (5) The Prime Rib "special" was NOT. Ever seen a medium rare PR pink on the outside and well done on the inside? Question: Did he microwave the slices to warm 'em up? To be fair, our waiter - who was OK btw - offered to replace it with something else, but we politely declined. Good kid, but it's the cook (nee "chef") who needs to know how to prepare a proper prime rib! Ditto for the sushi chef. In sum: SBF&G is better than a year-or-so ago, but still needs help. Our grade: "4.5 to 5" on a 10-point scale.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

We drove to this restaurant based on a recommendation from someone we did not know well.
The drive took 25 minutes and the restaurant is right on the water. There was a nice cool breeze out. We went inside and a very nice hostess told us how excited she was about their new sushi bar.

We got there before the band started to play and I estimate there were 20 people all together in the bar and restaurant.

It took 25 minutes to get our appetizers. We nursed our drinks and chit chatted. We then received our appetizers. The shrimp cocktail sauce , with 5 average size shrimp, was somewhat sweet, undistinguished, and could have come out of a can. The scallops were mostly cooked, and the barbecue sauce was ok. The garlic toast was good, which was what I filled up on.

We left without ordering dinner as I was not confident that anything would be better than what we experienced.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

This was an overall OK experience. Food was OK - probably not worth the price they charge, but OK. Then again, the meals came with soup or salad and 2 sides, so were maybe a better value than I am remembering. We were seated on the enclosed patio - overlooking the marina which was a nice view. But...around the doorways and window sills - was filthy - built up dirt and debris that blows in when people come and go through the doors. The waiter was efficient without being pushy. I don't live in this area, so I know that I won't be going back.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

We were actually there in 2011, not 2013, but I thought I'd submit a review anyway (although it's entirely possible that things have changed since our visit). I thought I owed it to the rest of the TA community to qualify my review in this regard.

When we were there, we very much enjoyed the outdoor dining experience. It was very chilly by the water that day but of course you can't control things like that and we had the option of dining inside if we would have preferred but we chose to be outside anyway (much nicer). There was live music provided by a gentleman who sang and played the guitar and he performed a number of "oldies" which we recognized and enjoyed (much better than today's awful stuff). The atmoshpere, overall, was very nice.

The food was good and the portions were generous. No complaints in that dept. Overall we liked it there and would definitely go back (remember, though - this review is not for a recent visit and things could have changed so make sure to read the reviews of others who have visited more recently).