“Nice and clean .. value for money”
Review of Chula Vista Inn

Chula Vista Inn
Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Chula Vista
Reviewed August 1, 2011

Stayed for 2 nights, and it was a great hotel. Had problems with the toilet, and they fixed it within an hour. Small pool ok. Good location, close to both downtown San Diego, and the border to Mexico (10-20 min.). Free WIFI and free breakfast wich was ok (the kid loved the waffles).

2  Thank Mic93

Reviewed July 19, 2011

This hotel was one of the best hotels i have stayed at. Their staff were very friendly especially the front desk person that checked us in i think her name was claudia. The breakfast was good, for being a continental breakfast there was a variety of things to choose from. The rooms were very clean (kudos to housekeeping) and spacious. I also liked how all the staff tried their best to accomodate my every need! I plan on going back to this hotel next year!

1  Thank googlevan
Reviewed July 17, 2011

We were just in Chula Vista in July and it was a wonderful trip. The hotel was so nice and the people who worked there were so friendly! There were some things that broke in the hotel while we were there, like the shower handle, but the hotel staff was so quick to fix everything that day so that by the time we got back at the end of the evening it was fixed. It's very close to downtown...only about 10-15 minutes! They had free internet which was a plus and free breakfast!! The beds weren't really comfortable....that's the only bad thing I can say.

The hotel staff were so incredibly friendly! The hotel was clean and I felt safe there and I can't say that about all of the other Chula Vista hotels. I really liked the hotel! We will stay there again!

1  Thank jrabbott02
Reviewed July 14, 2011

I checked in on June 24 after a day at the Zoo. I grew up in Chula Vista so I knew that the area is not that great, but it isn't horrible either. If you are on a budget or only needing a place to shower and sleep at night this is a perfect place.
The ladies at the Front Desk were very nice. When we arrived to the room we noticed that the the shower curtain was missing and the Front Desk girl who check us in brought one up. We also asked for a rollaway and the same girl brought one up right away. Was she the only person on staff? The beds were ok. The shampoo and soap were in wall mounted dispensers and were of poor quality. Luckily, I travel with my own.
There is a continental breakfast that closes at 9am and consists of cereal, and pastries. I understand that it is convenient for the weekday business person, but on weekends when they are sold out, especially in the summer, they should extend it to 10am.
Parking was also a problem. We were away the whole day and made it back to our room after 10pm and couldn't find parking. They don't provide enough parking spaces for the amount of rooms they have.
We had quick access to Downtown, Coronado, Zoo, Old Town, and Seaport Village. All within a 15-20 min. drive. Very convenient without having to deal with high traffic areas like Downtown or Hotel Circle. A few blocks from the hotel is Target, Walmart, Costco, a bunch a fast food places, restaurants, Chula Vista Mall, and quick freeway access.
Again, great if on a budget and not spending too much time in the room.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank sdphx
Reviewed July 8, 2011

This is my third time to stay here. It is convenient to San Diego, but without the high price tag.

First impression: Nothing is better than being greeted with genuine smiles. Both the young ladies who checked us in had nice big smiles (July 2, 2011). They were naturally friendly and bubbly and make check-in a pleasure.

I suggest you request room 216.

It is larger than the other rooms and is located at the very back of the hotel, away from the street.

You can see by the photos that the room included a desk and a small table, in addition to the refrigerator and microwave.

I would rate t his Best Western above average for typical BW properties (the very best one I've ever seen was in Glenwood Springs, Colorado!).

The room was reasonably clean, considering it is not very new, and everything the a/c worked fine.

I would suggest this hotel to those hoping to save a few bucks, but who don't need to be right *in* San Diego. We were going to Balboa Park and this hotel is quite convenient to that area.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kifu
Reviewed June 27, 2011

Nicely located close to Sea World, Old Town and San Diego Zoo. Also, 10 mins drive to Mexico border city of Tijuana. The hotel is nice and clean. Serves a decent breakfast every morning with live news on TV ;-)
Has parking space and the staff is very curteous and helpful. The only drawback I found was you could hear people talking outside if are assigned a room on the ground floor. Other than that pretty good. Make sure you get a room on 2nd or 3rd floor so you won't get disturbed by people living in the hotel talking while in the parking area (coming or going). If somebody comes in late in the night and parks the car and starts talking your sleep is bound to get disturbed. But if you are too tired and a good sleeper don't worry about this.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Jay_as_tripvisor
OperationsMgr, Manager at Chula Vista Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2011

Dear Jay_as_Tripadvisor,

Thank you so much for your recent review of our hotel on Trip Advsior. We at the Best Western Plus Otay Valley are very happy of course to hear that you enjoyed your stay here at our hotel, and in the San Diego area overall. We are glad to hear that you found our property well located to all of San Diego's famous attractions, and we are especially glad that you found the staff to be courteous and helpful; That is of uptmost importance to us, the hotel management.

However, we are sorry to hear that you found the hotel to be a little nosy. We do understand that during the summer months, being high season and all, the hotel can be very busy, and at times a bit noisy, however we are happy to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay and thank you for the room tip for other Trip Advisor visitors.

We hope to see you back at the BW Plus Otay Valley Hotel again soon!

Thank you again for your review and have a great day!

Reviewed June 13, 2011

I booked a room through Hotwire and it was about $6 cheaper than other websites prepaid and cannot be cancelled. Upon arrival, the clerk said it was for a King bed room. I asked if they have any double bed available and if I can get the double bed instead. This is about 7pm and I only staying for 1 night. The clerk indicated that would be a $10 extra. I've stayed at many hotels/motels and I only heard upgrade fee from double to King but not the other way around. I bet if they had me in a double and I asked for King bed, they will want $10 as well. I told the clerk that this is unheard of and I'll not be coming back if I had to pay $10. He went inside and asked the manager but the manager didn't care if I was coming back or not, it will be $10 to switch room. However, the clerk was very polite and I've to give him credit for that. About the room..

Pro: Hotel is easy to find and close to the beach (from the map). We had a basketball tournament at Otay high school and it was about 6 minutes drive from here. Room has refrigerator and microwave with 42" flat screen. Our room was on the 1st room and I parked the car right in front of the room - very convenient. Room is a little larger than normal motel type. Air conditioning worked great - set to 73 degree. Breakfast was okay - typical juice and coffee, cereals, danish and croissant from the box (may be from the local market), bagels and apples and bananas. The only thing hot is they have one waffle makers. We had to wait about 20 minutes for our turn because it takes more than 3 minutes to make a waffle.

Con: The room has a funny smell - not smoking but may be from the carpet shampoo, I don't know. The pillow is too hard and thick. My boy and I cannot sleep all night and we finally had to sleep flat without the pillow. The shower is weak may be due to the water saver shower head. The coffee dispenser constantly went empty. I had to ask many times to get it refill. Same for napkins. They provided an ID and password for Wi-FI and none of us was able to connect our iphones and ipods.

Suggestion for the hotel: If room is available, please switch guess at their request between King/Double since the room is not being used anyway, especially at late check-in.
Have more the one waffle maker. It takes 20-30 minutes to wait and most just gave up and left.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family