“Best lodging on our trip” 5 of 5 bubbles

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Chowchilla - Yosemite Park Area
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Chowchilla
GreenLeadersBronze level
Los Angeles, California
“Best lodging on our trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

The hotel was very clean, almost sparkling. The room was spacious and the bed very comfortable. The breakfast was the best I've seen offered by any chain. The HDTV was high quality with a very good channel line up.The only minor criticism is the Internet speed was very slow - just slightly better than dial-up but that's something easily fixed..

Room Tip: Less noise facing west away from Route 99.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
JRP H, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Chowchilla - Yosemite Park Area, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

I wanted to Thank You for taking time out to share your great experience online. I see that you had a wonderful stay and found everything immaculate. We do have a great line up of about 100 channels on DirecTV for our guests and the breakfast is a Full Hot Breakfast because we know that it is important to start the day out right. I do see you have had a minor issue with our Internet and will look into this further as we do have very fast Internet. My Staff and I do look forward to your next stay.

Kind Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Garland, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2012

Overall, this is a very nice hotel, especially for the price. You can tell it's pretty new, for sure, and the hot breakfast is an especially nice touch. Would've liked a working refrigerator, but we didn't really need it. I don't recall being asked if we enjoyed our stay when we checked out, so I couldn't even mention it if I'd wanted to.

Some things to be aware of though...
- It's NOT the hotel's fault, of course, but the first thing you smell outside is the powerful scent of "barn". I don't know what's in the area, but I raced inside every day to escape the smell (which varies from day to day).
- Though billed as the "gateway to Yosemite", it's no less than 90 minutes each way. More like two hours in our experience.
- If you're counting on shampoo, don't count on it being replaced unless it's completely used up.
- If you need to eat outside the hotel, plan on driving up to Merced, unless you like McDonald's, Carl's Jr., or a handful of sketchy-looking local eateries.

Room Tip: Stay away from the ice machine, I think people know they'll need it in Yosemite (or maybe it'...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
JRP H, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Chowchilla - Yosemite Park Area, responded to this review, July 28, 2012
Dear Valued Guest

We appreciate you took the time to share your concerns with us as that is always important. I do see you did enjoy the hotel for the most part with a few concerns. We do have an odor in our valley given there is many dairy's nearby which give off a certain odor a portion of the year. I do see it took you around 90 minutes to Yosemite which it can if you are traveling from the 140 entrance to our hotel. The actual way we send our guest is Ave 26 to RD 600 up through 41 North which should be about 1 hour and 15 minutes to the South Entrance Gates of Yosemite. With your other concerns about the restaurants nearby I apologize if our front desk staff did not give you the options in town to dine out as there are many great restaurants such as the Steak House and Putters Grill at the Golf Course all less than 1 mile from the hotel. I do hope that on your next stay we can correct a few of these concerns and make it right for you.

san diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

The hotel is pretty new! Pool, fitness room, and laundry room are nice and clean!!
The ladies at the front desk are nice.
Our room has 2 queen beds. Sheets are very clean.
There are 32" flat TV, fridge, and microwave oven in the room.
Coffeemake and hair dryer are equipped in the bathroom.
The shower is nice as the water flow is very strong.
The fridge is very powerful that our blue ices are all freeze over night!
In room A/C is loud but working fine.
The hot breakfast is free for all guests. The hot cinnamon rolls are so delicious! Very satisfied!
My kids love this hotel!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest

Reading your review gives us assurance that we are simply doing our job the right way. We appreciate the kind words that you have chosen to describe our property. We take pride in our work and try to provide a great value at a reasonable rate. I am also glad your kids loved the hotel and I agree the Cinnamon rolls are delicious.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

A little remote but a brand new HI and they are getting it right. Good breakfast , bedding, doors, no noise, good tv, lots of channels, extremely pleasant staff, everything just the way you want a motel to be, booked via hotline for $60 best money I ever spent on a room.

Room Tip: Book via travel site
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JRP H, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Chowchilla - Yosemite Park Area, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Dear Valued Guest

It is a joy to read that you had an amazing stay with us in Chowchilla. We do have over a 100 channels including HD prgramming which is something all of our guest love along with a Full Hot breakfast. We do try to provide superb service at an excellent value. I see that you were able to take advantage of one of our rock bottom Summer Promos which is great. Our staff and I look forward to your next stay when visiting Yosemite National Park.

San Jose, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel several times as I visit family in Chowchilla. The hotel itself is very nice, the front desk staff is extremely helpful and I was impressed with their customer service.
But. BEWARE!!! I was charged a cleaning fee of $300 for smoking in the room. I never smoked in the room!!! I do smoke, and I had gone outside to do it, 3 times I went outside and smoked with other guests who were doing the same thing. I actually appreciate a non-smoking room as I dont like the smell of smoke that smoking rooms have. But I NEVER smoked inside the room and they said that housekeeping said they detected smoke. I did sleep with my window open all night, and my room was 2 doors from the end of the hotel, where smoking is allowed outside.
I am an educated person who owns a business and I travel often, I have never smoked in any hotel room and have never been charged any such kind of fee's in the past.
I have disputed this charge, with both the hotel and credit card company and will continue to dispute it.
On one visit to this property I did have an issue with the room, I woke up with a black toe and went to the doctor to find that I had been bitten by some kind of spider (my doctor thinks it happend in the bed while I was sleeping) I had an infected bite that is called MSRA and had to take 2 courses of antibiotics to get rid of it. But I put that aside as the hotel is surrounded by fields and it could be just a fluke. I did let the hotel know and never heard from them, not even an apology, nothing.
The rooms are very clean and comfortable, they have a lot to offer for a small town hotel. But, as this $300 charge is not fair (again, I never smoked in that room!!) i will likely never stay there again or at any other Holiday in Express, I will go to Madiera and stay at the Springhill Suites which is only 10 minutes away (a wonderful hotel, which allows smoking on the balcony).
I gave the hotel 3 stars because of the staff and other ammenities that they offer. My advise is to check your statement after your stay, I found other reviews where the guests also had unfai charges!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JRP H, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Chowchilla - Yosemite Park Area, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Dear Valued, Guest,

I am glad you enjoyed our hotel the several times you have stayed with us in the past and we do try to provide our guest with the over the top customer service that we believe in providing to all of our guests.

Although I do see you were charged a Smoking Fee and as a 100% non smoking building we do take the smoking policy very seriously as we want to ensure we provide smoke free rooms to all of our future guests. As this is a policy of the hotel I will look further in to this to ensure its accuracy. I hope given our service in the past that we can look forward to your future stays with us.

East Wenatchee, WA United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2012

would highly recommend! Service was great, clean comfortable beds and rooms. I have stayed here for over a month while i was working in the area. I was greeted every morning on my way to breakfast and when i returned from a long day at work. The ladies at the front desk were all so helpful and nice recommending places to dine in or visit around the area.(Stephanie comes to mind) Direct tv in all the rooms gives you many channels to watch or you can lay out by the pool.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Chowchilla - Yosemite Park Area, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

We appreciate you sharing your thoughts online. I am glad to see you had an amazing stay with us as that is our goal in mind when we are serving our guests. I see you were with us on an extended stay basis and you are correct no matter how many times we see you we will try to continue to provide over the top customer service. We do spoil our guest with over 100 DirecTV channels as we know when you come back from a long day of traveling or work we want to ensure you have something to watch. We do look forward to your next stay with us and hope to see you soon.

Oranit, null, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2012

New, upscale hotel, a very high standard, the only drawback is that it is near the main road and therefore a lower relative price, those not sensitive to noise and can sleep easy with the noise of trucks during the night to find him a perfect hotel.

breakfest is at the hotel lobby, coffe and juices, omlets. burgers or bacon and danona

Room Tip: ask for a room not facing the highway
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JRP H, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Chowchilla - Yosemite Park Area, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

We appreciate the value you recognized in our hotel as that is our goal. We like to provide over the top customer service with ample features and amenities with a value price. I see that you had some issues with noise and do apologize about that. I would recommend next time to perhaps request one on the west side of the building which are the quietest rooms. We do appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and look forward to your next stay.

Kind Regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chowchilla
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Merced
Hampton Inn & Suites Madera
Hampton Inn & Suites - Merced
Courtyard Merced
Courtyard Merced
#2 of 14 in Merced
BEST WESTERN Inn - Merced
Holiday Inn Express Madera Yosemite Pk Area

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites Chowchilla - Yosemite Park Area? Share your experiences!