“Great deal!”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Chino Hills
Fresno, California
“Great deal!”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

My wife and I were able to check out this hotel for a one night stay. We picked this hotel primarily because it seemed to be the best deal in the area in terms of price and what you get for that price. Afterall, this wasn't a small shady looking motel but rather, a large hotel.

Anyway, when we first went to check in at the front desk, we were met by a person who, to put it bluntly, just didn't look professional. They were dressed casually in a hoodie and jeans! While not outright rude, they were not particularly friendly either, just checking us in without so much as a perfunctory "Hello, how are you?" or even "Thank you". This is not a deal breaker by any means as how often does one need to interact with the front desk usually aside from checking in and out? It was just odd and somewhat offputting as I've really not experienced at other large hotels. Also, while looking around the lobby, I worried somewhat about the safety as there were really no other people around aside from 2 people sitting outside the lobby staring at those who walked in. While again, this was not a big deal, this just contributed to the weird vibe we initially had.

Thankfully, as soon as we started going to our room, we ran in to many others already checked in and heading out or returning to their rooms, so we were put at ease. Upon going into our room, I was surprised by how spacious and clean it was. I guess this surprise stemmed from the mediocre impression I had initially when checking in. However, the room itself was very nice. Everything was clean, the bed was large and comfortable, and the bvathroom was spacious and clean as well. The flat screen TV was large and worked just fine and there was a nice little desk with a chair as well for working if you needed to. In terms of amenities, we didn't really explore that much although we did pass by a business center with a few computers in it which looked nice but honestly, I think most people have internet on their phones so probably not as necessary. Also, I don't think there's breakfast but the manager made a good point about the nearby Denny's costing less than the difference in price you would pay between this hospital and offering a free continental breakfast.

So overall, we were very pleased with the hotel. While again, the check in experience could be have been more polished (really, would it be that hard to dress more professionally and be polite?), the rest of the hotel experience was great! Really, the most important thing was that it was large and well maintained. For that price as well, it's hard to find a better deal in this area as well.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Michael C
Steve W, General Manager at Hotel Chino Hills, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Michael C., thank you for your remarks about our hotel. Although I was disappointed with the less than complete welcoming you received when you checked in I was delighted to see that the rest of your stay was more than satisfactory. I do thank you for bringing to my attention they type of reception you received. Clearly, we need to do a better job on that end to match up with the rest of the points of your stay. We thank you for your patronage. We appreciate your business very much and look forward to serving you again on your next trip to the Chino Hills area.

Hotel Chino Hills

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 20, 2013

The hotel was actually hard to find, as I was driving in an unfamiliar area at night. It sits back off of the road, and is even hard to see at most angles. After locating the hotel, I pulled up and checked in with just my signature on a piece of paper, since I booked this hotel through Expedia, it was already paid in full. The room was clean and very comfortable. When I returned to the hotel the following evening after a full day of activities, my room had not been cleaned. I called down to the front desk, and discovered that I was not even registered in that room, nobody was registered in that room. After going downstairs to the front desk with my ID, the front desk clerk, Michi found where my reservation had been cancelled because I was not checked in. She fixed it for me and brought me clean towels,etc., but most importantly she rectified this mistake by offering me a free night, which I saved to the following weekend as I was scheduled to check into another hotel in Pasadena.

This is what makes travel easy, because mistakes are bound to happen, but when a company own up to its mistakes and corrects them as best they can, then that is a business I have a tendency to be loyal to.
When I returned the following weekend, for my free night, they had also upgraded me to a junior suite, which was quite nice.

I will not only stay here everytime I am in the area, but as a travel agent, I would consistently recommend this property.

Thanks guys!!!!!!

Tonya Keitt Kalule
Kalule Travel Groups
818-267-8434

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TonyaKeittKalule
Julio M.

Thank you for your kind remarks about our hotel and particularly our Night Auditor, Dylan. I have shared your comments with him, along with my thanks for a job well done. We are delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay. Thank you very much for your patronage. We appreciate your business very much and look forward to serving you again the next time you are in the Chino Hills area.

Chino hills
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Needed a hotel room in middle of night on an early & cold Tuesday morning. Dylan could not have been any more accomodating to my family under the circumstances. The rate was perfect at the time of morning, room was as he described. Put us on side of hotel not facing freeway without us asking. Once in hotel, you realize you're in a Holiday Inn Express. Clean, comfortable, made a long, tough night easier to put behind us.
We'll be there again soon.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Steve W, General Manager at Hotel Chino Hills, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Julio:
Thank your for taking the time to review our hotel after your recent stay with us. I was delighted to see that Dylan provided excellent service to you and your family and I will be sure to commend him for providing the type of overall service that everyone should receive. We appreciate your business very much and look forward to serving you again on your next trip to the Chino Hills area.
Reviewed February 19, 2013

The accommodations far surpassed our expectations, including a jacuzzi tub and swimming pool.. i woke up to a treadmill for 30 min then i did 20 laps in the indoor pool, the water temperature was perfect considering the weather.. Furniture was on point simply but elegant. White Goose down comforter clean no stains carpet was stain-free. Shower pressure excellent with multiply settings huge mirror in bathroom and wifi little slow bit cable made up for the entertainment. Lamps shield brand new leather head board clean. Towels were white huge & clean. The restaurants well plenty to choose from . Primos across from A.m P.m gas station the best inexpensive authentic Mexican food beef burritos... But needless to stay plenty choices for food from Starbucks, to Sushi, Denny's and so forth. I am not easily satisfied however I had Lots & lots of fun. It was 1 of the most beautiful experiences of my life. No complaints hands down I love it.......staff there treated us with courtesy and made us feel welcome. We definitely could sleep through the nite & it was the best i ever had, overall wonderful experience and would definitely go bacc!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2013
Steve W, General Manager at Hotel Chino Hills, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Aja 1995:
Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I was delighted to see that you had such an enjoyable stay and that your accommodations exceeded your expectations. Our Team is here to serve all of our guests and it is nice to receive such positive feedback that I can share with them. We appreciate your business very much and look forward to having the opportunity to serve you again the next time you are in the Chino Hills area.
Escondido, California
Reviewed January 1, 2013

First impressions are lasting. So let me start by saying that the front desk clerk appeared less than a professional. She walked out of the back room and was wearing house slippers and a faded zip up hoodie. I wasn't clear that she worked there and felt a little uncomfortable about providing my credit card info to her. Next I headed up to my room and the hallway smelled like skunk. It was awful. The room itself did not smell bad so that's a plus. Once I got to my room, I noticed that the smoke detector had been ripped off the wall and was left on the table and where it was removed on the wall, there were exposed wires. Yikes!
OK so for the positive. When I went to the front desk to report the smoke alarm, I was able to move quickly to another room. The room is spacious and so is the bathroom. The shower had fantastic water pressure. The heater in the room worked very well. The bed was very comfortable and the TV had plenty of premium channels. They allow pets in the room at no extra charge. It's located in the same lot as a Denny's, Starbucks, and close to the fwy. The alarm clock in the room is also a docking station for your Ipod.
The nitpicky stuff. This hotel is running on minimum. The coffee in the bathroom came with styrofoam cups. You get one single bar of soap to transfer back and forth from the sink to the shower and one tube of shampoo. Although there is a sign on the 3rd floor that says ice/vending, there is only vending with a paper sign inside that says the ice is on a different floor. It must be too much to remove the sign that displays ice/vending.
Overall, I would not stay in this hotel again due to my first impressions. The room appeared clean but there were lots of stains on the floor and walls. The thing with the smoke detector was really the turning point. If they don't have the attention to detail to get that taken care of before a customer sees it, then they don't care about my safety or comfort. Hopefully this hotel makes a turn around. Right now it feels as though they are barely hanging on.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Chief_Gypsy:

Thank you for completing a review regarding your experience at our hotel. I am so sorry that your experience was far less than satisfactory. Certainly, there is no reason that you should be checked into a room as you described it by someone who appears shady to you. Nobody on our staff is now allowed to wear a hoodie, as it generates the wrong impression. Although you did not have an overall good experience I invite you to return and try us again. Based on the majority of the reviews that we do receive, which are positive, I am confident that you will find what you are looking for in a hospitality accommodation. We do thank you for your past patronage and hope to have the opport unity to serve you again.

Travelers are raving about these Chino Hills hotels

Diamond Bar, CA
Reviewed September 25, 2012

The HOTEL CHINO HILLS is a bank-owned property which according to the front desk clerk is doing well financially.

However, in spite of its success, staff was bare minimum, as we saw but one housekeeper, one maintenance person, and one front desk clerk during our 4 days/ 3 nights stay. Overall, the hotel is up-to-date, modern looking, cozy, yet can be desolate and barren. We hardly saw any guests during our Labor Day weekend stay.

The room felt a little cramped with 2 double beds, the chair at the desk was broken, the free Wi-Fi was slow, the shower knob was installed backwards, and housekeeping forgot to place sheets under the comforter for both beds.

But on a positive note, the shower was the hottest and most powerful we have had in comparison to many similar quality hotels, the beds were comfortable, the Flat Screen TV with DirecTV was great, the air conditioner worked well, and my wife loved the 2 over-sized mirrors in the room as they were especially useful in getting ready.

The location of the hotel is very good as it is right off the 71 freeway with a Denny's, Starbucks, and a local pizza joint all situated in the adjoining parking lot.

The hotel has 4 floors and both elevators worked well. There is an especially big dining room that made a take-out dinner into a cozy restaurant-like place to eat. They have cold water, coffee, and tea available there 24 hours a day.

On the 2 occasions we ordered for extra towels, they were delivered in less than 15 minutes. And, the front desk clerk was very helpful with accommodating all our requests.

We would recommend staying at this hotel especially with room rates at less than $79 per night.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the freeway side if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Nrs1234
smwinning, General Manager at Hotel Chino Hills, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
NRS1234:

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. And yes, currently, we are a bank owned property. Cathay Bank has asked our management company to operate this hotel with as little expense as possible. Therefore, you will not see a lot of staff in the hotel. We need Guest Service Agents to check in and check out people. We have one maintenance person and one room attendant in housekeeping for every 15 rooms occupied. Since we have been running approximately 50% daily we do not need a lot of people in housekeeping. I do apologize for the broken desk chair that you observed. Chairs like that should always be replaced immediately whenever they are discovered and I regret that yours was not.

Our hotel is only a little over a year old and we are ideally located adjacent to three restaurants and s Starbuck's.

Certainly, our value compared to nearby hotels is excellent. The difference between our hotel and one of the nearby hotels is $30.00 to $40.00 per night. And the real difference is that we do not offer breakfast. A Grand Slam at the Denny's next to us is a lot less than $30.00 or $40.00.

We do offer double queen-bedded rooms and king-bedded rooms in our typical guest rooms, depending on the number in your party.

Again, we thank you for your patronage and we look forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed September 7, 2012 via mobile

This place is a pig pen. As soon as you enter is stinks and you can see the filth. Should have left right then. I stayed here before when it was a holiday inn and it was good but must be under new owners. Should have known when we pulled up and there was only three cars in the parking lot. Run away

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank donnie1011
smwinning, General Manager at Hotel Chino Hills, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear Donnie 1011:

I regret that you had such a negative impression of our hotel. I do not know what you smelled but whatever it was is not something that occurs on a regular basis. In fact, there was a recent article in the Los Angeles Times reporting a "Foul Smell Reported Across Southern California". Perhaps that was what caused such a negative impression. In terms of cleanliness the hotel has a full complement of housekeepers who are assigned to the guest rooms and public areas. If you would be so kind as to let me know specifically what was dirty I will investigate that. Clearly, cleanliness is a required element for all hotels and I personally walk every floor of the hotel every day to ensure that everything is satisfactory. We do thank you for your feedback. As you know, that is what we need to improve the hotel.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chino Hills
Hampton Inn & Suites Chino Hills
Azure Hotel & Suites Ontario Airport
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites
Red Roof Inn San Dimas - Fairplex

Been to Hotel Chino Hills? Share your experiences!