“Lowest of the low end”
Review of Hotel Chino Hills

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Chino Hills
Reviewed January 1, 2013

First impressions are lasting. So let me start by saying that the front desk clerk appeared less than a professional. She walked out of the back room and was wearing house slippers and a faded zip up hoodie. I wasn't clear that she worked there and felt a little uncomfortable about providing my credit card info to her. Next I headed up to my room and the hallway smelled like skunk. It was awful. The room itself did not smell bad so that's a plus. Once I got to my room, I noticed that the smoke detector had been ripped off the wall and was left on the table and where it was removed on the wall, there were exposed wires. Yikes!
OK so for the positive. When I went to the front desk to report the smoke alarm, I was able to move quickly to another room. The room is spacious and so is the bathroom. The shower had fantastic water pressure. The heater in the room worked very well. The bed was very comfortable and the TV had plenty of premium channels. They allow pets in the room at no extra charge. It's located in the same lot as a Denny's, Starbucks, and close to the fwy. The alarm clock in the room is also a docking station for your Ipod.
The nitpicky stuff. This hotel is running on minimum. The coffee in the bathroom came with styrofoam cups. You get one single bar of soap to transfer back and forth from the sink to the shower and one tube of shampoo. Although there is a sign on the 3rd floor that says ice/vending, there is only vending with a paper sign inside that says the ice is on a different floor. It must be too much to remove the sign that displays ice/vending.
Overall, I would not stay in this hotel again due to my first impressions. The room appeared clean but there were lots of stains on the floor and walls. The thing with the smoke detector was really the turning point. If they don't have the attention to detail to get that taken care of before a customer sees it, then they don't care about my safety or comfort. Hopefully this hotel makes a turn around. Right now it feels as though they are barely hanging on.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Steve W, General Manager at Hotel Chino Hills, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Chief_Gypsy:

Thank you for completing a review regarding your experience at our hotel. I am so sorry that your experience was far less than satisfactory. Certainly, there is no reason that you should be checked into a room as you described it by someone who appears shady to you. Nobody on our staff is now allowed to wear a hoodie, as it generates the wrong impression. Although you did not have an overall good experience I invite you to return and try us again. Based on the majority of the reviews that we do receive, which are positive, I am confident that you will find what you are looking for in a hospitality accommodation. We do thank you for your past patronage and hope to have the opport unity to serve you again.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

The HOTEL CHINO HILLS is a bank-owned property which according to the front desk clerk is doing well financially.

However, in spite of its success, staff was bare minimum, as we saw but one housekeeper, one maintenance person, and one front desk clerk during our 4 days/ 3 nights stay. Overall, the hotel is up-to-date, modern looking, cozy, yet can be desolate and barren. We hardly saw any guests during our Labor Day weekend stay.

The room felt a little cramped with 2 double beds, the chair at the desk was broken, the free Wi-Fi was slow, the shower knob was installed backwards, and housekeeping forgot to place sheets under the comforter for both beds.

But on a positive note, the shower was the hottest and most powerful we have had in comparison to many similar quality hotels, the beds were comfortable, the Flat Screen TV with DirecTV was great, the air conditioner worked well, and my wife loved the 2 over-sized mirrors in the room as they were especially useful in getting ready.

The location of the hotel is very good as it is right off the 71 freeway with a Denny's, Starbucks, and a local pizza joint all situated in the adjoining parking lot.

The hotel has 4 floors and both elevators worked well. There is an especially big dining room that made a take-out dinner into a cozy restaurant-like place to eat. They have cold water, coffee, and tea available there 24 hours a day.

On the 2 occasions we ordered for extra towels, they were delivered in less than 15 minutes. And, the front desk clerk was very helpful with accommodating all our requests.

We would recommend staying at this hotel especially with room rates at less than $79 per night.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the freeway side if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Nrs1234
smwinning, General Manager at Hotel Chino Hills, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

NRS1234:

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. And yes, currently, we are a bank owned property. Cathay Bank has asked our management company to operate this hotel with as little expense as possible. Therefore, you will not see a lot of staff in the hotel. We need Guest Service Agents to check in and check out people. We have one maintenance person and one room attendant in housekeeping for every 15 rooms occupied. Since we have been running approximately 50% daily we do not need a lot of people in housekeeping. I do apologize for the broken desk chair that you observed. Chairs like that should always be replaced immediately whenever they are discovered and I regret that yours was not.

Our hotel is only a little over a year old and we are ideally located adjacent to three restaurants and s Starbuck's.

Certainly, our value compared to nearby hotels is excellent. The difference between our hotel and one of the nearby hotels is $30.00 to $40.00 per night. And the real difference is that we do not offer breakfast. A Grand Slam at the Denny's next to us is a lot less than $30.00 or $40.00.

We do offer double queen-bedded rooms and king-bedded rooms in our typical guest rooms, depending on the number in your party.

Again, we thank you for your patronage and we look forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed September 7, 2012 via mobile

This place is a pig pen. As soon as you enter is stinks and you can see the filth. Should have left right then. I stayed here before when it was a holiday inn and it was good but must be under new owners. Should have known when we pulled up and there was only three cars in the parking lot. Run away

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank donnie1011
smwinning, General Manager at Hotel Chino Hills, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Dear Donnie 1011:

I regret that you had such a negative impression of our hotel. I do not know what you smelled but whatever it was is not something that occurs on a regular basis. In fact, there was a recent article in the Los Angeles Times reporting a "Foul Smell Reported Across Southern California". Perhaps that was what caused such a negative impression. In terms of cleanliness the hotel has a full complement of housekeepers who are assigned to the guest rooms and public areas. If you would be so kind as to let me know specifically what was dirty I will investigate that. Clearly, cleanliness is a required element for all hotels and I personally walk every floor of the hotel every day to ensure that everything is satisfactory. We do thank you for your feedback. As you know, that is what we need to improve the hotel.

Reviewed June 23, 2012

Okay for the price(discounted) to stay in this changed ownership hotel (Hotel Chino Hills). Check-in staff was very unfriendly. She heartlessly wanted to be there for her job. Both encounters of check-in & check-out were hopelessly unprofessional. She would prefer to go back to her breakfast in the back room. She should not be in the service industry!
Great room was wasted, self serve coffee in the morning. All empty breakfast service container were very new and left unused!
In room amenities was lack!The amenity rack was so empty in the bathroom, as there's only soap and nothing, not even a shower cap. Coffee maker provided but only 2 tubes of coffee powder! Please save it. Fridge was making very annoying sound all night. Even worst was the elevator which sounds so horrible going up & down the lift shaft - nightmare on Elm's street, Freddie was there all night!??
Ice making machine provided only on 2nd & 4th Floor! How nice that we stayed on 3rd?!
The swimming pool was cold and not clean, towels provided were sand paper rough & thin. Men's toilet was out of service. The women toilet was flooded with yucky water.
The morning (father's day Sunday!) when we check-out from the hotel, a group of foreign workers, all in uniform were marching out from the hotel to work nearby. Is this a factory dorm?
no wonder it was so noisy during the night!
High speed internet service was cut the night before the check-out? Password was incorrect!

Room Tip: Noisy highway tight next! Unfriendly staff & lack of amenities, don't stay in this hotel,
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank CoupleWith1kid
Management response:Responded June 25, 2012

Dear Couple With Kid:

I sincerely apologize to you for your less than satisfactory stay with us over this past Father's Day Weekend.

There is absolutely no excuse for your receiving unfriendly service. After all, this is the hospitality business and each guest should have a positive and welcoming feeling at check in. Your comments have been reviewed with all of our staff in an effort to curtail any such negative perception. Since your comments do not reflect what room you stayed in I cannot exactly identify who checked you in. Now, for your check out on Father's Day I can identify who was on duty at that time. She has been counseled on the issue of what perception was conveyed.

Yes, we do have a terrific breakfast room that was previously used when we served breakfast,, some 10 months ago. Since the hotel is currently in receivership and awaiting a new buyer we have definitely minimized our expenditures as directed by the bank. Thus, our current room rate is some $40.00 to $50.00 less than our competitive set of hotels in the Chino Hills area.

The elevator sounds are gone and there is no Freddie from Elm Street or the semblance of such around. My apologies that you were staying with us before the elevator service company was able to fix this.

The swimming pool should always be in good condition and I have reviewed your comments with our Maintenance Supervisor to find out why it wasn't and ensure that it is in the future.

The workers in uniform that you observed are a group of Indian artisans that are working on the Hindu Temple that is under construction less than a mile from the hotel.

And my apologies again for the problem you experienced with our high-speed wireless Internet. The password is changed every Saturday night by our Internet provider and you should have been informed by our staff that this does occur when your original password was provided to you.

We do thank you for your comments and your feedback. Clearly, that is the only way we really know how we did and where our weaknesses and strengths are. I regret that we dropped the ball so many times during your stay. I assure that will not be the case in future stays.

Reviewed June 11, 2012

We were in town for a soccer tournament and my husband found a great deal at this hotel. The rooms (and bathrooms) were large, clean, and with contemporary furnishings. The beds were really comfortable. We had a room away from the freeway and found it to be on the quite side. There was a pool that my son enjoyed.

The towels they provided in the room were few and far between and tiny. They also only offered one bar of soap and one shampoo. But that was really our only complaint. Also be advised, you are about half a miled from a men's prison.

Denny's was just across the parking lot so that is where we had breakfast. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the freeway.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
smwinning, General Manager at Hotel Chino Hills, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2012

Dear HEK:

Thank you for your kind remarks about our hotel regarding your recent stay with us. I was delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable stay and that you found our beds to be "really comfortable." I was also happy to hear that your son enjoyed our indoor pool. We appreciate your business very much and look forward to serving you and your family again on your next trip to the Chino Hills area.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

I will never stay here again. Major ant problem that they are fully aware of and they made a comment "if the ants start getting in the bed then we will change your room for you" they sprayed chemical in the bathroom, while we were in the room with children and said just don't go in the bathroom for awhile. Also, ants were all around the jacuzzi. Major ant problem!!! Also, we stayed here thinking we would have a nice breakfast in the morning and then we were informed that they only have coffee and that was not good. Thankfully there was a Starbucks in the same parking lot. Air conditioner made awful sounds the entire time with a ticking noise.

I will NEVER stay here again.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
smwinning, General Manager at Hotel Chino Hills, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2012

Dear Mr. and Mrs. S.

Thank you for your feedback through TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay with us. I certainly apologize to you for the ants that were in one of your rooms. In speaking with our pest control company I understand that the warm weather we have been experiencing apparently triggers their activity. We have arranged for them to treat the entire exterior of the hotel to prevent any further ants from entering. They have also treated any guest rooms where ants were reported. I have investigated our response to you by our Team Members in regard to this issue. Clearly, it is not appropriate for any of our staff to make a comment for you to let us know when any ants got in your bed. According to my staff you were offered a room change because of this situation you had reported but you chose not to move. Our maintenance supervisor indicated that he did spray your bathroom as you were leaving the hotel as a temporary fix. I also see that you had secured two separate rooms through Expedia.com. I believe that your children were actually using the other room. At least I hope that is the case. Although we cannot prevent every potential negative thing that might occur in the hotel it is our responsibility to respond appropriately if and when something does occur that needs immediate attention. In this case it seems that our offer to provide a different room to you to resolve the situation immediately was the best we could do at the time. I regret that this offer was not acceptable to you. We do thank you for your patronage. We appreciate your business very much and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again at some future date.

Reviewed January 26, 2012

We love this hotel. Although slightly understaffed, they are very accomodating for the most part. Rooms are very clean (great housekeeping), very quiet, and beds are the most comfortable we have experienced. Very good free high speed internet and excellent dish network TV channel selection. We appreciate the "No Pets" / No Smoking" policy as it keeps hotel fresh and quite allergen free. Staff and management are friendly, helpful and, if you so desire conversation, very sociable. They have a very nice dining area and it would be nice to have a continental breakfast offering but, for the rates being offered, I'm not complaining. There is a Denny's and many wonderful restaurants only five to ten minutes away, not to mention a plethora of department and discount stores. We have been repeat guests of this hotel since its opening and would highly recommend staying here to anyone who appreciates Holiday Inn Express lodging quality at a prices offered only by lesser quality establishments.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family

Dear Greg S.:

Thank you for your kind remarks about our hotel. We are so delighted that you and your family have been enjoying your long-term stay with us. You, in fact, are like family to us. We look forward to continuing to serve you. Thank you for your business.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chino Hills
Best Western Diamond Bar Hotel & Suites
8 mi away
Azure Hotel & Suites Ontario, A Trademark Collection Hotel
Ayres Lodge & Suites Corona West

Been to Hotel Chino Hills? Share your experiences!