“Love the tamale!”

Cuisines: Italian
Helendale, California
“Love the tamale!”
Reviewed July 31, 2014

I want to start off with the tamale. Having grown up in Chicago and having a hot dog stand not far from where I lived, I came to really like the “bunch” and “roll” tamales I had on a semi-regular basis. These days, I seem to be able to get them only when I'm at SuperDawg when I visit Chicago. I tried the one at Al's (plain for starters) and found tamale heaven. BTW, it was the “roll” style mentioned above. Once again I was taken back to my childhood hot dog days in Chicago, without a trip to SuperDawg. Right texture. Right taste. Right amount of steaming. I'll go back and try the Tamale Boat to see how it stacks up when “smothered in chili, Cheddar cheese, and onions. The tamale gets 5 stars.

Now, as far as the Italian beef sandwich goes. Once again, as with the tamale, a Chicago Italian beef sandwich has a certain flavor and texture when eaten. Unfortunately, Al's doesn't get high marks. It was okay, but a drive to Portillo's satisfies that desire more than the one here at Al's.

I want to go back and try the hot dog, Italian sausage, Polish, and chili, and maybe the burgers. Might try the Italian beef sandwich again at a later date just to see if what I had is consistent, but not anytime soon.

They are advertising Nancy's Pizza (another Chicago staple often visited when I'm in town) in Alhambra, but as of this posting, haven't been able to tell if it's open.

• Visited July 2014

California
“Delicious beef”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

This is a treat to have so close to home. I got the Italian Beef sandwich with the fries (they leave on the skins-yum!). Bun is good too. I think it's a little pricey but I'll go back.

• Visited May 2014
Chino, California
“Beef & Sausage Combo - YUM!”
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Glad to see Chicago food coming to California, loved it growing up and still love it now. Al's has a good product and choice of sandwiches but my favorites are the beef, Italian sausage and Polish sausage and I will stop by periodically for those. Dip the buns and top with hot peppers for a real treat.

• Visited January 2014
Riverside California
“Its ok if you are craving some italian beef”
Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

I had the big Al an italian beef sandwich. For the sandwich and the soda the cost was a little over $10. The beef was fine the sandwich was dipped and the roll soggy. I think Portillos is a better option for taste and price.

Chino Hills, California
“The beef is OK, the sausage is very good”
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Al's just opened here in Chino. My wife and I decided to give Al's a try. The servers recommended Al's award winning Italian beef 8" and I wanted a sausage sandwich. We split both sandwiches. In our opinion, there is nothing award winning about the beef. My both really liked the sausage. One bit of advice, definitely order sandwich with their Homemade "HOT" Giardiniera peppers, they are excellent!

We will probably go back and order a sausage sandwich and their fresh cut French fries.

• Visited December 2013