“what an establishment, Chico's Best!”

Oxford Suites Chico
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Chico
San Diego, California
“what an establishment, Chico's Best!”
Reviewed July 17, 2011

I was passing through Chico on my way to Oregon to visit my family. En route I grew very tired and saw the Oxford Suites hotel right off of Highway 99. It was brightly lit, easy to view from the freeway and extremely warming as soon as I walked through the doors two charming gentlemans were more than happy to assist me and my traveling needs. Sal and kevin define what it truly means to service the customer. They treated me as if I had were famous and had been their friend for years. After a complimentary breakfast courtesy of sal, I was able to sleep comfortably throughout the course of the evening. Jonny, the bartender, was alright. I was not expecting a complimentary breakfast in the morning, and could not have been more pleased!! The sausage was wonderful, and man, do I wish my wife could cook eggs like Will! His sparkling smile and gleaming hair were just what I needed as an exclamation mark on my trip. I will definietly be staying at this classy establishment once again. Thank you for all those who helped make this experience what it was: Pete, Kevin, Sal and Will especially.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank travelersgalore

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed July 13, 2011

This hotel has been my second home for nearly a week out of every month for the past six months due to my fathers battle with cancer. I have nothing but the very best to say about every single employee at this location. I never once had to ask more than once for anything and someone was always at the ready to make my stay as pleasurable as possible. Manager Chris Coder has put together a team of absolute professionals for whom I am eternally grateful. The day my father passed away, I was numb and lost. Eric in the bar was like an old friend who repeatedly made me smile and did everything possible to comfort me when the waves of sadness would set in. Eric deserves recognition for being the outstanding employee he is. Leading up to the funeral, these people could not have been any more accommodating with the friends and family who arrived to help coordinate the memorial. We were given access to the dining area while multiple employees made the effort to ask if we needed anything to make the situation easier. I've never experienced such a hospitable group of people in any hotel and I've traveled extensively around the world. I simply cannot say enough to adequately praise everyone from the front desk, housekeeping, dining, bar staff and management. You folks ROCK!

Room Tip: This hotel has a very reasonable hospital discount.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank IRTravlin
Arcata, California
Reviewed June 28, 2011

Oxford suites at Chico is our favorite place to stay during our visits. The staff is friendly and helpful. Everyone from the front desk to the dining and house keeping takes time to care and do their jobs well. The rooms are always clean. Lots of parking. Tons of nice places to eat near by. The complimentary meals are great too. I think the price is great!

1 Thank newheart1
Eureka, cA
Reviewed June 24, 2011

This was our second stay at Oxford Suites. We have a child starting at the college in the fall so there have been a few trips for orientation, etc. After our first stay here I swore I wouldn't return...not because it was that terrible or anything. its a perfectly okay 2 plus star establishment but the air conditioner is way over in the living room section of the suite so if you close off the privacy doors, in our case to give us privacy from our teenage daughter, you close off access to the air con too. it gets hot in Chico and air is a necessity. Also, I can't get over the vanity being right smack in the entry of the suite. The sink area is in the entry hall and the bathroom, which is separate, consists of the toilet and shower - its very clumsy and difficult to maneuver. Try it with a teenager. Oy. They provide one bar of soap only - so you have to either chop it in half for the sink and bath or do without in one of the two. This was not a fluke as my friends who were in another room got the same. The toilet paper was folded nicely, the beds made well, so leave a freaking bar of soap for the sink!
Nights at the Oxford seem to be party time. Free drink tickets are supplied for some seriously bad wine choices or beer, soda or bottled water. I suggest the water. Even so the bar is hopping like its TGIF's on a weekend. Who are these people?
Late at night there is a lot of door slamming - I assume from the folks partying in the lobby earlier. Sleep was rather illusive.
Morning and its time to turn in tickets for breakfast which is truly served dormitory style. I realize we are in a college town but I watched in horror as at the stroke of 9:00 a.m. the young egg and potato slingers closed down that operation and turned away a group of boys who just missed the deadline for breakfast. The folks at Oxford would rather throw the eggs away than trouble themselves by serving stragglers. It was sad and so not in the spirit of hospitality.

All in all though, there are some very nice folks at this dorm, uh I mean motel. The staff is friendly and the mood is laid back. The rates are better than some of the other 2 star establishments in town and the bottom line is I'll no doubt stay there again. At least for 4 more years.

2 Thank VJF57
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed June 16, 2011

This was a pleasure trip to visit family and friends, and we couldn't have asked for a nicer hotel or better value. The hotel is lovely, the staff super friendly, the rooms are spacious and clean. The bonus was breakfast int he morning (eggs, potatoes, sausage, pastries, cereal, bagels, the works) and the evening reception (nachos, lasagna, salad, nachos, hot wings). This really helped keep down the cost of the visit. Would definitely recommend and will stay again.
Only con is that the pool is a little on the small side and pretty much constantly packed with kids.

1 Thank lvLass
Reviewed June 12, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Oxford suites this weekend while attending a wedding in Chico. Initialy we were on the fourth floor but found this floor smelled a bit like an ashtray so we moved to the third floor which was a non-smoking floor and found it smelled clean. The room was pretty clean other than a few dead ants that had apparently been killed by using bug spray of some type. Breakfast was served daily from 6 to 9:30 am.highlights for us were the eggs and potatoes. They were served hot and fresh. The chefs took a tally of how many guests were served and I think this was used as a guage for timing when additional portions were to be prepared. They also offered sausage and an array of other items buffet style.
We were most impressed with Mattie who worked at the front desk and bar during the nightly managers reception where guests were given two free drink tickets per night. When booking this hotel, we read the amnenities offered and believed we would get unlimited free beer and wine during the managers reception as they claim to offer free beer and wine (this sounded plural to me). What we found is you are only given two free drink tickets per day and they are stamped for the particular day so u were unable to save them up if you didn't use them. Anyway, Mattie offered us several suggestions of places to see while we were in chico. We took her advice and went to upper bidwell park and the sierra nevada brewery and had a great time. She named several jewels to explore on our hike to bidwell. We ended up checking out earlier than expected and although we were half of an hour past the check out time she made qn exception to only charge us for a half day. We were really impressed with Mattie and the AWESOME customer service she provided us. We will defenitely stay at this hotel again and would highly recommend it to others staying in Chico:

• Stayed June 2011
2 Thank waylynj
WesternTrvlr, Manager at Oxford Suites Chico, responded to this review, June 16, 2011
Thank you for the kind words and sharing your positive experience. Our staff appreciates hearing that they are doing a stellar job! While we are happy to offer a complimentary evening reception, it would probably be ill advised to offer complimentary unlimited beer and wine for reasons you might guess. While the first two beverages per person are free, additional beverages are available for purchase Nonetheless, we invite you and all our guests to take advantage of the many complimentary amenities we offer at each of your visits and we thank you for your loyal patronage!
Windsor, California
Reviewed June 2, 2011

We had a large group that attended my daughters graduation from Chico State. We have stayed at Oxford on several occassions over the last four years when we visited. It has never been a disappointment. The staff is always friendly and seem to go out of their way to make your stay the best it can be. The nightly hospitality provides beer, wine and soft drinks. The breakfast is always fresh providing eggs, (not cooked to order), bacon, toast and the usual items that go along with breakfast. They have a variety of room configurations, that are spacious and clean. The hotel went through some renovation over the past few years and it shows, with the new color scheme and on the grounds. It is close to the Hwy 99 and across the street from Applebee's, I Hop and In and Out Burger. Sierra Nevada Brewey is on the other side of the Hwy!.The only negtive I would mention, and this is for all the hotels in Chico during graduation time, is that they "double" the room rates. So if you don't have someone graduating from Chico State, or some other function, I would highly recommend you stay away during the last two weekends in May. So I rated the value as excellent based on prior stays.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family