“Best Sushi EVERRRR!”

Cuisines: Sushi
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The raw fish here is always fresh so the sashimi is amazing. I love the Salmon Slam, Baby Caterpillar & New Orleans rolls...just to name a few. Their miso soup, Shaka Tuna, & BBQ Baby Back Ribs are delicious! The service is fantastic and the atmosphere is fun! A MUST TRY!

Reviewed April 7, 2013

I read the reviews on here and had very high hopes. It was a nice atmosphere, clean and cool looking. I ordered two 4-piece sushi rolls and waited over an hour for them to come out. Weird, because they didn't require any cooking... and it takes about 5 minutes to roll up a sushi roll. finally I told the waitress I was done waiting and I wanted to cancel my order and leave----then she brought out my food.
I ate one piece and it was dried out, tough and chewy, and the fish looked discolored and just plain wrong. I love sushi and I couldnt even chew up and swallow another piece.
Basically, very bad experience and I would advise not to get any type of sushi here.

1  Thank GiannaIguana
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I don't go downtown much anymore because of the bums, grifters and homeless attracted to town the last 5 years. Went to a funeral and knew parking would be bad so I went early and to the Raw Bar for lunch. Man it is still great sushi, yes pricey but whether is a funeral or if your taking a girl you want to impress out- well this is the place. Ingredients and spicing are masterfully displayed. Good service. Scenic view of the bums acting out in the downtown concrete park is always a show, just ask for a window seat.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

This restaurant has a great location in downtown Chico. My husband and I recently went for a family birthday dinner.

- Amazing appetizers. The miso is unreal. It is the best miso I have ever had. Too often you get stuck with a bowl of broth and one or two pieces of tofu swimming in it- not here! My meat-loving husband adores these ribs. I asked how they were as he picked one up, and the meat literally fell off the bone.
- Great drink menu, lots of options. Everyone can get what they want! Good prices for our local beer, and they had some delicious sugary drinks that we were passing around. Of course, they had a nice selection of sake as well.
- The wait staff is exceptional. My husband and I were the first of a group of 8, and when we arrived we realized the organizer had not made a reservation. Oh no! The hostess was amazing, and although it is a very small restaurant, she was able to put some tables together and fit us in. Our waitress kept us hooked up with drinks and extra ginger (my favorite) the whole evening. We stayed probably 3 hours, and never felt rushed in any way. Everyone we dealt with was sweet and courteous, and went above and beyond.
- The location is great. The inside of the restaurant is small, but cozy and intimate. I recommend making reservations. We have tried to come several times during peak dinner times and not been able to get a table. I came here once with a small child, and this restaurant is NOT child-friendly.
- The sushi is pretty good. I feel the prices are high and I like the sushi at Big Tuna just as much, but Big Tuna doesn't have the "special" feeling raw bar has. The appetizers and the drinks excited me more than the sushi. They do have a huge menu though, with options for all levels of fish-loving. I tried a member of our party's vegetable roll, which was more delicious than many of the fish rolls on the table (and I am a BIG fish fan). WOW! I will definitely order that next time. I also got some sort of monkey roll with banana in it. It was interesting, but I would not re-order. My husband enjoyed the Sacramento roll and the Gilroy the most. Prices are high, but this is a nice place.

We will definitely return on another special occasion, yum!

Reviewed February 11, 2013

The restaurant setting is very pleasant with some creative decorating. It is located in downtown Chico, but parking was not a problem. The overall area has a nice feel to it. We were concerned when we first came in because of a lack of any sort of greeting or directions on whether to find our own seat or wait to be seated. However, in the final analysis service was very good. The green tea was not the best, sort of bitter and lacking the nice smokey taste. However, everything else was very good. The dishes were creative and well presented. The ingredients all seemed very fresh. The sushi rice was done very well. Yes, we would definitely go back again.

Been to Raw Bar? Share your experiences!